Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Fear me, for I am also Lord Custard Smingleigh... I just can't work out how to change names on this newfangled thing. Not a valve or a pressure dial in sight!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I like immersive, interactive, simulated game worlds.
    I'd go with that and probably add atmospheric as well.

I'm not too fussy about things like Photorealism, but a game environment needs be cohesive and avoid things like invisible door syndrome.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 03-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Unique game worlds, gimme interesting environments that I want to explore and don't know what's coming and strange creatures I've not seen in other games.

No more bloody elves or grey manshoots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    So mostly Sengoku Rance then?

Personality.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Silly people saying "fun" like that means anything. Fun is not a useful metric because it's entirely subjective, unquantifiable, and poorly defined. It's the equivalent of proclaiming "I like it if I like it."

I like immersive, interactive, simulated game worlds.
    Silly people saying "immersion" like that means anything. Immersion is a not useful metric because it's entirely subjective, unquantifiable, and poorly defined.

If I were to make a list of all the bloody goddamn things I may enjoy about a game I could here all damn day. But at the end, what it all boils down to is "did I have fun"? After all, I'd say that's the damn point of a videogame.

And yes, Dark Souls was fun, until I tried to PvP as DarkMoon but couldn't find a single target to invade in all of blasted Lordran.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I find immersion a little bit more concrete then fun though, because fun I feel limits things somewhat, you can't have a schindlers list of gaming if all you care about is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I find immersion a little bit more concrete then fun though, because fun I feel limits things somewhat, you can't have a schindlers list of gaming if all you care about is fun!
    Hm, true. Can I change "fun" for "enjoyment"? Which is probably even more vague but should also encompass those more dramatic works.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Hm, true. Can I change "fun" for "enjoyment"? Which is probably even more vague but should also encompass those more dramatic works.
    I immediately thought the same thing. Fun and enjoyment are often used (correctly or not) interchangeable.

"I enjoyed Schindlers List" sounds more reasonable than "Schindlers List is such a fun movie!"

I'll say fun still, because "I appreciate the enjoyement that Schindler's List brings me, but I prefer the fun of Total Recall"

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    "I enjoyed Schindlers List" sounds more reasonable than "Schindlers List is such a fun movie!"
    "I had so much fun watching that movie about the jews dying and being abused and that guy that saves some of them! It was really fun!"

*In shock, a look of horror in the face* "YOU MONSTER!"

I enjoyed The Path's gothic girl's playthrough, but calling it "fun" would quickly label me as an inhuman bastard that shouldn't be allowed to live. Same for the lolita one. *Shivers*

Personally I'm gonna go for Interactivity. The more in control of my character and how he affects the world around him, the more I enjoy playing the game. When every possibility in the game is clearly highlighted it just doesn't feel like I'm playing, but watching while pressing the buttons they want me to press.

A high "start to crate" value.
    You can't argue with science.

Network Hub
    Replayability. I can forgive its faults if I can keep coming back to it and have as much fun if not more when I played it last time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    How long after I launch the game does it take until I'm playing? So yeah, obviously "fun" is more important, but this is something I have noticed that strangely has an impact on what game I choose to play in certain moods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I find my tastes change as I get older (and I've played sooo many games now, I really have...).

Things that excite me these days are (in no particular order): Exploration, procedural generation/randomisation, originality of concept/mechanic (even within a larger, more familiar framework).

Interestingly, that list doesn't include 'conflict'. I can take or leave that element of games these days.

I run out of patience with many games in the first hour or two that feel too similar to other games that have come before. First person shooters, third person shooters, RTS particularly need to be doing something radically different to get my attention these days (guilty pleasures notwithstanding).

Fun is a measure that gets involved, but there's games I like that I wouldn't necessarily describe as 'fun' (Dark Souls is the one others have used and I'll use that as my example too - it's brilliant, but 'fun' is not an adjective I'd choose to describe it). FTL also springs to mind. Its more 'harrowing' than fun, but damn, its enjoyable (also hits my 'original concept + randomisation' likes!).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Silly people saying "fun" like that means anything.
    I know it might sound annoying for people to keep saying "fun" in the thread, but I think that anyone who is interested in games HAS to know what that means intuitively. It's obviously not helpful to anyone looking for a "factual" answer but I like it. It's sort of like a challenge to the person posing the question: "Fun. Find out how it's done."

I'll go with a concrete answer myself:
    Single player games that have complex, mature experiences and have absolutely zero padding. Closest thing I've experienced to that was the original Metal Gear Solid (it lacked the complexity I desired, but was not 300000 hours long).
    Last edited by mashakos; 03-10-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    A high "start to crate" value.
    You can't argue with science.
    You will love Sonic The Hedgehog then.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I realize "Fun" is listed in the OP, but yeah it's a catch all answer... it's kind of as if the OP is asking, "What makes games fun for you?"

I admit I'm over a lot of the stuff I used to enjoy. I don't want to watch a movie or read a book while I'm playing a video game anymore. Recently I've been enjoying games that can offer a variety of experiences in multiple plays. This usually has some randomization, but I don't think randomly generated worlds are necessarily a requirement for fresh, new play throughs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I think one that you can so easily make stories for I think Crusader Kings 2 is probably the master of it, no matter what happens you can just make an entertaining story out of it.

also has to have decent co-op I guess i like more social games now then single player epics, stories in gaming have stagnated somewhat.