Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I enjoy games more when they let me build, tinker with and grow something, not necessarily a representation of a physical object, but also characters, nations and locations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Silly people saying "immersion" like that means anything. Immersion is a not useful metric because it's entirely subjective, unquantifiable, and poorly defined.
    We're not discussing metrics though. We're discussing what people value most in games. Sure, 'immersion' can be personal and can't be measured, and varies from game-to-game and person-to-person. But if the main reason you enjoy games is to feel like you're in an entirely different world, either because you like it, or because you want to forget about your miserable day-to-day existence, immersion is easily the most important thing in gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Silly people saying "immersion" like that means anything. Immersion is a not useful metric because it's entirely subjective, unquantifiable, and poorly defined.
    Do you want a bloody poll or do you want my answer?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Slightly less stuff
    Could both of you please go back to that post of mine you've quoted and check the one I quoted? Thank you.

Could both of you please go back to that post of mine you've quoted and check the one I quoted? Thank you.
    I see your immersion/fun and raise you a lulz.

After all, that's why I do it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I see your immersion/fun and raise you a lulz.

After all, that's why I do it.
    I'll take the poll then.

Obscure Node
    Fun.

/10char.
    this.

//thread over

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I also like games that are good at generating a story-in-my-head. This is a bit like immersion, but instead of the game drawing me into its made-up world, I draw the game into my made-up world. The advantage of this is clear: I'm not vulnerable to "immersion-breaking", because I am in ultimate command of the story-in-my-head. Also, it works for pretty much every game imaginable. Of course, it's easier to construct the story-in-my-head for some games, but it's possible for all games.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I think my honest answer would be "escapism".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Z View Post
    fun
    You might as well say "fnurglewitz".

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    You might as well say "fnurglewitz".

I'm onto you...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I don't think there's a word that encapsulates the concept, but my value of a game is the ratio of characters controlled to the direction of the game. E.g. in Supreme Commander, I completely disregarded the single player campaign and went straight to skirmish, because I'm controlling up to a thousand units at once and my enjoyment comes from the managing of them. Conversely, I enjoyed Jade Cocoon because in true Square fashion, it's entirely linear. I'm the last hope for the village facing impending doom, I don't have time to play hide and seek with the kids or go fetch a basket of vegetables a forgetful farmer left behind in their fields, or go check out that awesome looking mountain in the distance.

That said, there are exceptions. For example, I'm loving Guild Wars 2 because while I only control 1 character, that character is all but irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (ignoring the personal story, which incidentally I've by and large ignored).

I can't really place my finger on what it is exactly that decides whether I enjoy a game, what I wrote is just a guideline. I do know, however, that it means I hate most games.
    Last edited by mickygor; 03-10-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: paragraphs
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Do they have to be micro'd individually or can they be discrete units a la Total War?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Word "fun" means nothing to me.

SP games: Some sense of progression. Fitting music. Good visuals. Whatever.

MP games: I'm happy if the game lets me ruin the "fun" for players who are using "cheap" tactics, "unfair" advantages, overpowered items or obvious exploits. If I have to use the dirty tactics myself against them, so be it. I don't care if I die or lose in the process. Never surrender to exploiters. Never tolerate people with 50 to 1 K/d ratio in BF games who roll around in APC's or Tanks. I don't care who wins, I'm going to hunt down that bastard and slit his throat when he is repairing or die in the process.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Do they have to be micro'd individually or can they be discrete units a la Total War?
    They don't have to be individually micro'd, though I find the transition between map and battle screens in Total War a bit jarring. That you can still individually see the units, even if you can't control them individually, helps. I do still enjoy the Total War games, but there are games I would choose to play over it, again Supreme Commander being the ultimate choice. Even so, I don't individually micro in Supreme Commander; doing so too much would just get you flanked and crushed.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I think I'm fundamentally looking for my input to actually matter - that is, you're able to play a game in a sufficiently creative way that your button presses couldn't be replicated by some simple computer program. If I get to a point where I know exactly how to respond to every situation, the game is done (hello Recettear)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    I think I'm fundamentally looking for my input to actually matter - that is, you're able to play a game in a sufficiently creative way that your button presses couldn't be replicated by some simple computer program. If I get to a point where I know exactly how to respond to every situation, the game is done (hello Recettear)
    I like this answer, its why I've tended towards strategy and stealth games where its not the "clickity clickity" but the actual thinking behind it that takes priority.

Also Binding of issac and spelunky because you don't really know what to expect in the next area.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Entertainment that is consistent enough to either get through the whole game or make me feel I sunk my money / time into something worthwhile.
    That and punishing mechanics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oops sorry. Pretend I was addressing the person you quoted instead then or something.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Good gameplay combined with an elaborate learning curve.

Very very few games focus on either anymore these days:(