Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 126
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,393

    Another "An Old-School RPG" Kickstarter this time from Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...te-and-tom-hal

    Could you have any less of a generic name? It's like a bunch of buzz words that are popular on KS at the moment.

    Their page also looks amazingly similar to the Project Eternity one in it's layout.

    No doubt our very own Wizardy is the dude behind the $10,000 pledge.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    I pooped out a 15 for it. Not too many details, but seems to have competent people behind it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Fuck yeah. This is the most promising Kickstarter after Wasteland 2, as long as they don't get 1.9 million. Why would anyone want them to divert funds to a spiritual successor of Anachronox? I hope it makes $1,899,999.99.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,393
    My understanding of that particular goal is that if it's reached they'll both make a different RPG that feeds into each other. If it's not reached, they'll both work on the same game together. If anything you should want it to be like that and hope it makes a lot more otherwise he might get Anachronox in your Wizardy.

    So it's not a case of the first $1,899,999.99 will go to the chick behind Wizardy and everything after that to the dude behind Anachronox.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,333
    I think his concern is this:

    1,899,999.99 - All to one project that is at least heavily influenced by Wizardry
    1.9 million - 0.95 million to Wizardry-esque game, 0.95 million to Anachronox-esque game

    In actuality, I imagine that they would share a lot of assets and what not so it won't be a 50/50 split. And, as mentioned, it will have less peanut butter in the chocolate, as it were.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    My understanding of that particular goal is that if it's reached they'll both make a different RPG that feeds into each other.
    I don't think they are going to feed into each other. They said in the video that they are going to be totally separate games in separate worlds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If it's not reached, they'll both work on the same game together. If anything you should want it to be like that and hope it makes a lot more otherwise he might get Anachronox in your Wizardy.
    Anachronox in my Wizardry? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    So it's not a case of the first $1,899,999.99 will go to the chick behind Wizardy and everything after that to the dude behind Anachronox.
    She's not the "chick behind Wizardry". I think she started out as a play tester and then moved into level design throughout two decades at the company.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think his concern is this:
    And, as mentioned, it will have less peanut butter in the chocolate, as it were.
    You say that like those two don't belong together!

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,816
    You guys realize that John Romero is gonna work with them on this game, right?

    Yeah yeah I know, weak, but someone had to say it!

    Also, is it just me or does someone else find that woman to look kinda... horrifying?


  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,450
    If it isn't funded two days before funding ends, I'll contribute.

    (That's an endorsement, btw! I never contribute to these things!)
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Among our favorite RPGs are Ultima™ IV, Chrono Trigger™, Chrono Cross™, Wizardry® VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, Planescape®: Torment™, World of Warcraft®, Diablo™, Ultima™ III, Beytrayal at Krondor™, Final Fantasy® VIII and Legend of Zelda®: Link to the Past™.
    Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

  11. #11
    Lesser Hivemind Node Feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Yes. Exactly what I was thinking.
    It does say favourite and not influential, though, so all is not lost.

  12. #12
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    44
    The page looks like a joke, I'm not sure what to think of it.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,411
    I don't see anything promising here. I mean, I guess when it comes to KS's like this the big question is, "will they actually finish the game?" and this team certainly looks capable, but I don't trust them to be able to tell any kind of story.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    but I don't trust them to be able to tell any kind of story.
    Hopefully they don't really try.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,411
    Wouldn't be much of a game world to RP in then, huh?

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Wouldn't be much of a game world to RP in then, huh?
    Have you ever played a Wizardry?

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,411
    Oh yeah, and I remember fiction. I'm not talking about a Final Fantasy character based narrative, but an old school RPG isn't going to win me over just because I'm nostalgic for these mechanics. It needs to have an interesting fiction of some sort. For me anyway. Nostalgia is always bittersweet in my experience. I do miss these old school mechanics, but set in "Old School RPG" (which I realize is placeholder, but it does impact my impression) I can just imagine generic setting, generic tone, generic experience.
    Anyway... who's the cynical one here? hell...

  18. #18
    I love that they actually have a pen-and-paper ruleset. That's genuine old-school.

  19. #19
    Obscure Node ferdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post


    She's not the "chick behind Wizardry". I think she started out as a play tester and then moved into level design throughout two decades at the company.
    She was the lead designer in W8.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Oh yeah, and I remember fiction. I'm not talking about a Final Fantasy character based narrative, but an old school RPG isn't going to win me over just because I'm nostalgic for these mechanics. It needs to have an interesting fiction of some sort. For me anyway. Nostalgia is always bittersweet in my experience. I do miss these old school mechanics, but set in "Old School RPG" (which I realize is placeholder, but it does impact my impression) I can just imagine generic setting, generic tone, generic experience.
    Anyway... who's the cynical one here? hell...
    I'm not that far into Anachronox, but yeah, if you know anything about the game (masterminded by Tom Hall) you'd know that is basically pretty fucking crazy in terms of setting. It's the game where you get a planet as a party member. The fiction is probably the most interesting thing about the game.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •