Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I think they might do something like the Golden Sun games, with the obvious difference of both games being able to lead into each other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Yeah I think Anachronox and Wizardry have two very unique settings in the RPG genre. But I'm not clear about that guys involvement in writing for Anachronox.
    What does a lead designer create? I'm ignorant about these roles in development... Is this a boss type person overseeing everything? I was sort of under the impression that they hire artists for things like writing and graphic design. I suppose it depends on the game?

So, honestly, I'm always excited about an old school RPG... but I get warm fuzzy nostalgia thinking about the game worlds of classic RPGs, not really the mechanics. Well, to an extent... an FPS Fallout did prove to me that changing the perspective can really mess with my nostalgic feelings (though perhaps FO3 wouldn't have done this if the fiction was closer to FO1 or even 2?)

Network Hub
    What the hell? Why didn't they come up with at least a provisional title?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ferdy View Post
    She was the lead designer in W8.
    No she wasn't. She was a lead designer. As far as I know she did the story and dialogue, while others such as Linda Currie, who had just finished working on Jagged Alliance 2, did the meat of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    I think they might do something like the Golden Sun games, with the obvious difference of both games being able to lead into each other.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah I think Anachronox and Wizardry have two very unique settings in the RPG genre. But I'm not clear about that guys involvement in writing for Anachronox.
    Tom Hall didn't write Anachronox as far as I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post

Why?
    Because they state it as a design goal that if they hit 1.9M

" the endings of each game provide exclusive NEW game beginnings in the other! Import your crew from Tom's game into Brenda's and vice versa. The ending you create affects not only your new game beginning (if you choose it), but also provides unique advantages that you earn no other way"

Honestly man, do you even read these KS pages?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Because they state it as a design goal that if they hit 1.9M

" the endings of each game provide exclusive NEW game beginnings in the other! Import your crew from Tom's game into Brenda's and vice versa. The ending you create affects not only your new game beginning (if you choose it), but also provides unique advantages that you earn no other way"

Honestly man, do you even read these KS pages?
    What does that have to do with these Golden Sun games? That was my question. Did you not read the post I was replying to?

As far as I know she did the story and dialogue
    Ah so they do have a writer on board! I really hope they can avoid making this feel too much like a generic fantasy RPG. There's very little info on the kickstarter beyond the obvious stuff implied in the name "Old School RPG."

No she wasn't. She was a lead designer. As far as I know she did the story and dialogue, while others such as Linda Currie, who had just finished working on Jagged Alliance 2, did the meat of the game.
    From the wikipedia page:
    Linda Currie is credited as producer of Wizardry 8. Brenda Brathwaite was the game's lead designer.
    As far as i know the meat of the game, i assume you mean the mechanics, is not the producer's job. On the other hand it is wikipedia, so...

Network Hub
    Interesting pitch, but if I hear "Old School RPG" once more, my ears will bleed.

Still, will probably hold off for a day or two before chucking my money at them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As far as i know the meat of the game, i assume you mean the mechanics, is not the producer's job. On the other hand it is wikipedia, so...
    Check out the Wizardry 8 credits and then take a look at the Jagged Alliance 2 credits. You'll notice that Brenda did the dialogue/writing/story while the likes of Linda & Ian Currie and Alex Meduna designed other parts. I think she used to write the manuals for the older Sir-Tech games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    What does old-school mean? I don't know. Maybe nobody does.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Edit: I need to read threads more thoroughly.

Check out the Wizardry 8 credits and then take a look at the Jagged Alliance 2 credits. You'll notice that Brenda did the dialogue/writing/story while the likes of Linda & Ian Currie and Alex Meduna designed other parts. I think she used to write the manuals for the older Sir-Tech games.
    Thanks for the clarification. It seems her role in the wizardry series is somewhat exaggerated in their kickstarter page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the clarification. It seems her role in the wizardry series is somewhat exaggerated in their kickstarter page.
    Yes. It even states that she worked on the Realms of Arkania series, even though it's a German CRPG series, just because she happened to have written the manual for the English version.

I'm not saying that all this isn't worth anything. The fact that she spent two decades working with Sir-Tech on various hardcore games might imply that she knows what the hell makes up a quality CRPG. If you read some of her interviews from during Wizardry 8's development you'll realise that she at least knew what was important. Whether this would ever materialise in this Kickstarter game, no one knows.

Banned
    I think I prefer the pedigree of Eternity tbh (whom I've backed). This just seems to be trading too much on remote legacy and bandwagoning rather than actual promise. No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy, but frankly I think I'll hold out on the delivery before considering parting with any money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy
    That's a good one.

Activated Node
    As far as spouting personal preferences go, I'd much rather want an endearingly generic RPG la Might & Magic (which was always more Fantasy 101 than Wizardry with all its distinct races etc.) than, say, an edgy attempt at mature writing (The Witcher 2 comes to mind, in all the bad ways). Some of us do just want those precise mechanics and don't feel the need for any curious external justification in the form of "narrative"...

Well and I guess that's what they are pitching here, so my worries about writing might be misplaced. It's hard to write a poorly written game if there isn't much to write, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think I prefer the pedigree of Eternity tbh (whom I've backed). This just seems to be trading too much on remote legacy and bandwagoning rather than actual promise. No doubt the Codex will be circle jerking themselves into a frenzy, but frankly I think I'll hold out on the delivery before considering parting with any money.
    Well the pedigree of the Eternity developers is certainly much better. What we have here is someone who worked on the story of Wizardry 8 and someone else who created a western JRPG. But in many ways Obsidian have better pedigree than even Fargo's Wasteland 2 team. The difference here is that what Eternity is pitching is mediocre (to me), while what Fargo pitched with the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter was incredibly exciting. This, on the other hand... there's just not a lot to go on. If it was an attempt at a Wizardry 9 without any Anachronox elements then it could turn out to be a very good game, especially as there aren't many first person blob CRPGs around these days.

Network Hub
    So, just like all major kickstarter projects? Though i agree that this campaign is very poor, even for this kind of standarts, and even the codex is not buying it.