Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Next update will feature Combat and Gameplay.
    Oh goody. Finally, the promise of real details. If they say they're doing turn-based combat, I'll throw them $15 regardless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    This has such a strong early 2000s vibe... The only thing missing is a shitty id Tech 2/Unreal on steroids look with art design that makes no sense and is full of coloured lightning. That would be a good thing.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I just backed it. The later games in the Wizardry series (those I played) were sufficiently weird (for my generic fantasy-hating ass) and a little silly at times, which hearkened back to playing D&D with fellow juveniles. It's too early to know for sure, but this seems to have some of that mojo.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I still can't get over the fact that you're given a protagonist to play. Hopefully this is just the "canonical" version and in reality you get to create him/her like you do the rest of your party.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Oh goody. Finally, the promise of real details. If they say they're doing turn-based combat, I'll throw them $15 regardless.
    "Forge alliances with unique NPC races, do their bidding – or be their undoing – as you solve dozens of quests, loot castles and caverns and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key. Turn-based, phased-time combat harkens back to the days when spells hit hard and last-second healing spells saved the day."

So like Wizardry then. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Wizardry; 09-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Update 5. Wizardry should be pleased.

I think by now it's safe to say they haven't prepared anything. I'm withdrawing my pledge.

/delurk

Their updates seem to be going nowhere, unfortunately. They posted this a few days ago:

Tom and I know exactly what type of game we want to make, the story, the mechanics, the world. In hindsight (which is the number one thing people say in launching kickstarters), we should have launched with more info into the world. That is something we're providing in our regular updates.
    I know it takes time to prepare all that information for presentation, but it's been quite vague and posted at a drip feed. I still don't have a strong handle on their high-level design goals, which should have been made completely clear from day one. Judging from the comments page, many of their backers don't know what to expect, either.

I was prepared to make this my first Kickstarter pledge, but given the vague pitch and Loot Drop's lack of recent credentials, I needed convincing. Unfortunately, even if I love what they post from here on out, I think the project is just too haphazard to warrant much confidence.
    Last edited by Mentalepsy; 10-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Make Project Eternity your first, then.
    And welcome to the forums.

They've gone with the name "Shaker"? Really? That will only ever remind me of the Shakers.

I somehow missed the bit about turn-based phase-based combat. Pledging now, and I'll reevaluate that decision in three weeks, just before the Kickstarter ends.
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 10-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.

They've gone with the name "Shaker"? Really? That will only ever remind me of the Shakers.
    Maybe one of your skills is great chair making.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    I think by now it's safe to say they haven't prepared anything. I'm withdrawing my pledge.
    I withdrew my pledge for this and Nexus. While project Eternity gives me the impression that Obsidian planned their kickstarter before launch and know exactly what they want to do with their game, this give me the opposite impression. After reading the last two updates and seeing the name "Shaker" I couldn't justify a pledge anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by allanschnorr View Post
    I withdrew my pledge for this and Nexus. While project Eternity gives me the impression that Obsidian planned their kickstarter before launch and know exactly what they want to do with their game, this give me the opposite impression. After reading the last two updates and seeing the name "Shaker" I couldn't justify a pledge anymore.
    What is it with that name. I too had a feeling of instant loathing as soon as I saw it.

This is turning into a disappointment for me. The Wizardry games are some of my favorite CRPGS of all-time. I was really excited to see this, and then the deeper I look, the more I get the feeling that they had no concept behind this game other than "Old school RPGS are making lots of money! Let's do it too!" Ok fine, if money is the motivation, I don't care as long as the game is good.

But then instead of taking time to develop a solid game concept, they just launched the kickstarter and started dropping names and puffed up experience. I mean I did enjoy reading the manuals for the Wizardry games and all, but come on.

I still have hopes they might be able to make a solid game in the same vein of the Wizardry series, but I have to admit to being turned off by the way this is being handled.

Downgraded my pledge to the $15 tier and revoking it is a definite possibility depending how things turn out.

Activated Node
    Seems support for the game has really dried up. This looks like it might be the first high profile failure if they don't get their act together and produce some engaging content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simoroth View Post
    Seems support for the game has really dried up. This looks like it might be the first high profile failure if they don't get their act together and produce some engaging content.
    The need to let it die, rethink their strategy and come up with a more robust kickstarter, because people aren't buying what their selling and no amount of updates is going to change that given most people have made that judgement call already. 7k backers Vs the 50k behind Eternity says it all really.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

They've still got 24 days, and a Wizardry-esque game was never going to attract as many people as an Infinity Engine-style game from Obsidian.

Yes, their pitch is terrible, but they have time to refine it. Even if it takes them another ten days to come up with a good angle, they'd still have two full weeks left for fundraising. They'll make it to $1m.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They've still got 24 days, and a Wizardry-esque game was never going to attract as many people as an Infinity Engine-style game from Obsidian.

Yes, their pitch is terrible, but they have time to refine it. Even if it takes them another ten days to come up with a good angle, they'd still have two full weeks left for fundraising. They'll make it to $1m.
    The top part is absolutely true. Obsidian has been far more productive in the relevant field far more recently. The Infinity Engine games made a decent bit of cash and had many fans. Wizardry 8 was well received, but not a great success.

But it's very doubtful that they'll make it to $1m. By this time, virtually every successful large kickstarter has reached at least a third of their funding. Even Shadowrun Online, which barely made it in an extremely unlikely turnaround, had 27% of their goal, while "Shaker" only has 22%. Shadowrun Returns sent out an email encouraging people to back Shadowrun Online, it's doubtful that "Shaker" has marketing information that effective. Even Two Guys from Andromeda, which was half as large and only made $30k over their goal, had 32% at this point.

Or to put it another way, to make it at this point they'd need an average $32k in sales a day from now on, 85% of what Obsidian has been making daily in their middle slump, and five times more then they've been making daily. Decrease time-frame down to two and a half weeks, and they have to make at the very least an average of $41k a day.

It's pretty improbable that it will succeed. I think they should scrap the project now, think about it for a month, come up with a better name, and redo the Kickstarter.

Obscure Node
    Here is the current projections based on trend. Not looking good.

I think the biggest issue here is that it truly appears that they literally put this KS project together over a weekend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    As for the projection - it will only get worse with time. That's what happens to most Kickstarter projects: cash influx slows down. Projection is based on current payments.

We can forget about this project becoming 100% funded. This thread is only good for academic discussion.
    pass

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    The Projection generally doesn't change all that much over time, since it's based on the way earlier projects went. Trend is the one that is simply averaging the donations of the previous days and extrapolating from that. That said, I agree this is very unlikely to meet its goal.

It's a shame in a way. I would have liked an RPG made by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall, but not if they clearly have no idea where they're going with it.

Doesn't projects usually get a influx of backers near the end?

Of course this is for academic discussion, I don't see much future in this kickstarter.