Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It's pretty improbable that it will succeed. I think they should scrap the project now, think about it for a month, come up with a better name, and redo the Kickstarter.
    I really want a new game in this style, especially from these people but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I think they were just off in their proposal, both in content and timing.

I'll keep my pledge in until the end because I believe there is a good game there. But I agree that it is probably best to scrap it now and come back in a month or two with a refined proposal (and yes, a different name please) than ride it out to the bitter end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Doesn't projects usually get a influx of backers near the end?

Of course this is for academic discussion, I don't see much future in this kickstarter.
    Yes, in many there's a bit of increased funding for the last week, which is harder to measure, but then a huge spike in the last three days. In the ten I looked at, they made an average of 20% of their total funding in the last week. The outlier, Shadowrun Online, made 40% in the last few days, but even they had made a greater proportion of their funding by this point.

Also, while the cone is far more accurate/believable than the trending line, Obsidian's cone has been shifting up and down by the hundreds of thousands in the last week. That's not insubstantial.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Grimoire lead designer attacks Brenda and Romero in the Kickstarter comments. Start from the bottom.

Sample, bolding is mine:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever There is a spiritual successor to Wizardry. It is called Grimoire and it is done. Brenda already got her Kickstarter at Sir-Tech. It was called Wizardry 8 and it cost two million dollars for Brenda to play game designer. Sir-Tech believed Brenda when she told them that nobody was interested in playing old skool RPGs anymore. It ended with Sir-Tech going bankrupt with less than $50 in assets at their hearing. If anybody had thought Brenda was a good bet to head up another team after Sir-Tech went out of business, with her huge social networking skills I am sure she could have headed up another team. Brenda is good at social networking but not much of a game designer. If she had any pleasure or enthusiasm for the genre she'd be working in it instead of writing politically correct social games for FaceBook. She wants another two million, this time to pay her to make a game she can't even seem to describe. Maybe that is because she is more interested in two million dollars than old skool RPGs. For those of you who don't understand why Sir-Tech turned away from their core and blew their money on junk like DRUIDS, it was because they thought Brenda knew what she was talking about. That's why they are out of business today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow. That's some beef.

Also this gem:
    Tom, if you need somebody to show you how to create a pitch video for your product that is far better than the junk that was posted up here feel free to contact me at any time.
    Which is a bit rich since they raised $255k (probably unsuccessfully) and he's raised $3.5k. Also, his 20 minute pitch video, at least half of which is him reading aloud from the giant letters on the screen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, kind of a dick move, but enough to make me cancel my (15 dollar) backing. I have been annoyed at the somewhat disingenuous take on marketing, the available info is vague (although, I like the concept of the universe), and that they somehow pissed off one of the guys keeping the genre alive is saying a lot.

I'll just wait for a steam sale, I guess.
    Last edited by gundato; 19-10-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Is it true about Mrs. Brathwaite's engagement in SirTech? Does someone have more information about this?

He's not mincing his words but he's right in calling this KS an embarassment (I withdraw my pledge a week ago after being sucked in by promises as well).

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Come on now. It's only mostly an embarrassment. I do get the sense that they're so ashamed they don't even want to look at it, but I'm going to let my pledge ride for a few more updates.

Obscure Node
    It was a dick move by the Grimoire dev. He was brutally upfront and while it may lead to some people canceling support of the Shaker Kickstarter, I doubt it will do much good for his own indiegogo campaign. He should have been viewing this as an opportunity to woo the community rather than trashing other developers.

That being said, I have not backed the Shaker KS from day 1 because I thought it was poorly done and I felt (still do) that it was originally launched over a weekend with no time or thought put into the project itself. The delayed and vague updates seem to align with the fact that they've been 'winging it' since launch.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Kudos to those who called it: they're killing the Kickstarter and taking the time to come up with a better proposal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...l/posts/332306

Probably a wise move. I know they're capable of much better.

Wise move. Still interested in the details of Brathwaite's achievements at SirTech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Kudos to those who called it: they're killing the Kickstarter and taking the time to come up with a better proposal.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...l/posts/332306
    Probably a wise move. I know they're capable of much better.
    I agree. I think with a failure like this they should probably come back with more than a pitch. A prototype, a few screenshots, and a better name are probably a better path to success. They could even keep the endorsements, just have something far more substantial to back them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    Wise move. Still interested in the details of Brathwaite's achievements at SirTech.
    There are probably better sources though. The man is absolutely crazy:
    Once again, looks like one man is better than five hundred pretenders. I like the odds. Obviously one of us is seriously outnumbered. They're going to have to hire more guys.

I think you might want to see if the other members of Sir-Tech have blogs and twitters, etc., and ask them there.

The man may be a bit of a nut, but I got a chuckle out of

I am looking forward to Pettington Park II, on the other hand. I have trouble sleeping.
    and I do think some of his rantings ring true. I have said previously that I got the feeling that they were really motivated by $$ but were playing it off like they were more interested in making an old school RPG for the sake of making one. I don't know, but something about John Romero in a Hummer in the pitch video just turned me off.

That being said, whether the motivation is cash or a passion to make a truly decent CRPG in the style of Wizardry, I guess it doesn't matter if a good game is the result. Though I still can't help feeling that the end product will be better if there is more than greed behind it. I'm still hoping they can come back and convince us of that in the relaunch.
    Last edited by xspork; 20-10-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That Grimoire fellow is a delight. His video was the best pitch video since those Eastern Europeans got dressed up in armour.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    They definitely need to come back with something ironclad in terms of what they are going to produce and also ensure that any stretch goals are aimed at strengthening/enhancing the KS project, not funding another one (two for one was just a terrible idea tbh..people want quality not quantity with their experiences).

Quote Originally Posted by xspork View Post
    That being said, whether the motivation is cash or a passion to make a truly decent CRPG in the style of Wizardry, I guess it doesn't matter if a good game is the result. Though I still can't help feeling that the end product will be better if there is more than greed behind it. I'm still hoping they can come back and convince us of that in the relaunch.
    I wouldn't necessarily say they came across as insincere (they do make games after all..just not PC games these days), but it did come across as a case of the hunt for nostalgia bucks.

Also they should concentrate their time on selling their game, not on stretching the credibility of their CVs (30 years in the games industry and you're only 46 ...someones telling porkies), or the creative value of the games they've worked on previously. Obsidian with Eternity only really mentioned the applicable projects they's worked on, not everything and the kitchen sink.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-10-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=xDyXSCd2Lp0#!

This truly is the greatest pitch ever conceived by a mouth breather.

"17+ years of hellish unending madness... in Grimoire, you can ride on turtles!"
    Last edited by strange headache; 20-10-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Well... at least we could say this kickstarter pitch was... shaky at best.

Ok, ok. I'll see myself out.

A new comment from the Grimoire dev. He claims to have worked in SirTech under Brathwaite.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/c...emore/comments
    I know who these people really are. I sat six inches away from the woman behind this Kickstarter and listened as she lectured me in front of the other staff at Sir-Tech about how nobody was interested in Sir-Tech's core product, old skool RPGs. She told me I didn't understand the industry. The Siroteks thought she knew what she was doing and they abandoned their core and started to make games like NEMESIS and DRUIDS under her Rasputin-like influence and they ended up with $50 to their names in bankruptcy court.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    A new comment from the Grimoire dev. He claims to have worked in SirTech under Brathwaite.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/c...emore/comments
    To be fair though, she likely said that a long time ago when there wasn't likely a viable market for those titles any more. Now with the internet things are different and there's more opportunity for niche to find a marketplace.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    blakemore is a delusional crazy person. why anyone would take any comments he says (especially about a company that fired him) seriously is beyond me.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    (especially about a company that fired him)
    Bear in mind that there's zero evidence he ever worked for Sir-Tech:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.../#post-1460792

I've known two people in my life (one in school, one professionally) who would create elaborate fantasies and insist they were true, even though I knew full well that they were complete lies. Pathological liars. Blakemore might be one of those, or he might be an even greater degree of crazy.