Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

Fare thee well, Cliffy B

http://epicgames.com/community/2012/...-departs-epic/

"I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.
    I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people. Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR – it’s been one big, rewarding learning experience. I’m confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike."

Wot do you bet he'll do next? Go 'indie'?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    http://epicgames.com/community/2012/...-departs-epic/

Wot do you bet he'll do next? Go 'indie'?[/FONT]
    I picture him on a reality TV show, ever watched one of his interviews? He'd totally fit in.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    But.. but... what about Jazz Jackrabbit? And Unreal?!

Cliffy and Tanya were awesome as the faces of Epic.
    He'll go either indie or to Japan.

Network Hub
    More to the point who cares? This guy is probably the most annoying personality in gaming. Hopefully he decides to change his career to something more useful like picking pennies up in front of a steam roller :)

We may have had some arguments over the years Cliffy B, and we may have said some unkind things to each other we somewhat regret, but you were an okay dude. Enjoy your rest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Meh?

10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    "I'm rich. Lemme go do rich people stuff."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    "How many times have
    You heard someone say
    If I had his money
    I could do things my way

But little they know
    That it's so hard to find
    One rich man in ten
    With a satisfied mind"

All the best to CliffyB, have a good rest but I know you'll be back.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    But little they know
    That it's so hard to find
    One rich man in ten
    With a satisfied mind"
    Who the fuck cares if they have satisfied minds?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Meh?

10char
    He was one of the people responsible for unreal and UT.

You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH, when one of the people responsible for one of the better games ever quits, it is of interest to a lot of gamers.
    Last edited by Finicky; 04-10-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I don't think I ever played a CliffyB-related game,
    but I guess they were probably games,
    and I like those, so I acknowledge
    that a man has retired!
    Last edited by Berzee; 04-10-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH
    I would care.

He was one of the people responsible for unreal and UT.

You choking on a pretzel tomorrow and dying would be MEH, when one of the people responsible for one of the better games ever quits, it is of interest to a lot of gamers.
    Um, he just quit his job, it's not like he died.

He also didn't create any of those games, he was a level designer on UT. Was he a part of some good games? Sure. Do I care that he left EPIC? Nope, not at all. Why should I care? There are plenty of talented people there that will continue making games.

Banned
    And nothing of value was lost.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Um, he just quit his job, it's not like he died.

He also didn't create any of those games, he was a level designer on UT. Was he a part of some good games? Sure. Do I care that he left EPIC? Nope, not at all. Why should I care? There are plenty of talented people there that will continue making games.
    And this is a gaming forum, not an obituary.
    If you don't care or don't have anything constructive or interesting to say then don't post?
    There are LOADS of threads and games on this forum that don't interest me, you don't see me voicing my disinterest in those.

All you do is create noise.

The OP seems to care that he quit, but who the fuck is he when we have superstars like you showing us what a fool he is.
    Last edited by Finicky; 04-10-2012 at 06:45 AM.

And this is a gaming forum, not an obituary.
    If you don't care or don't have anything constructive or interesting to say then don't post?
    There are LOADS of threads and games on this forum that don't interest me, you don't see me voicing my disinterest in those.

All you do is create noise.

The OP seems to care that he quit, but who the fuck is he when we have superstars like you showing us what a fool he is.
    I didn't insult the OP or tell anyone they were wrong for caring, I just expressed my indifference. For some reason you got extremely upset by this and told me I should choke on a pretzel. I'm sure plenty of people care that he quit for whatever reason, I don't and I wanted everyone to know just how indifferent I was on the subject. Why is this such a huge problem for you? What kind of deep-seated resentments are your harboring towards me to cause such an explosion of anger over something so trivial?

It seems like certain posters around here feel compelled to post in every single thread that comes up, if for no other reason than to point out how little they care about the subject-matter. I'm guessing it's some form of OCD. Or maybe they just like seeing their postcount go up.

edit:

I don't and I wanted everyone to know just how indifferent I was on the subject.
    Oh yeah good point. If you hadn't posted everyone would've thought you were too depressed by CliffyB's departure to even post in this thread, so thanks for chiming in.
    Last edited by Henke; 04-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    It seems like certain posters around here feel compelled to post in every single thread that comes up, if for no other reason than to point out how little they care about the subject-matter. I'm guessing it's some form of OCD. Or maybe they just like seeing their postcount go up.

edit:

Oh yeah good point. If you hadn't posted everyone would've thought you were too depressed by CliffyB's departure to even post in this thread, so thanks for chiming in.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want everyone to think I choked on a pretzel or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    First, its a forum and everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, even if that opinion is "I'm not all that bothered by the departure of this man". It's just as valid as saying "I'm going to miss Cliffy B".

Second, although he was certainly the face of Epic for a long time and worked behind the scenes on their series, he's not a one man game machine so I don't see anything at Epic changing. They'll get a new face, or hopefully they wont, because faces of companies all ultimately get very annoying very quickly (Notch stand up).

Last, I enjoy Epic games as mindless entertainment and will continue to unless they start developing something like My Little Pony Stable Adventure.