Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BestFriends4Ever View Post
    You have one week!
    Is it one week to play all three group matches or just the first one?

Obscure Node
    Nice to see I can join, my Steam name is Lacessit1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotto Voce View Post
    Is it one week to play all three group matches or just the first one?

My idea was all three. That comes to 6-9 matches for 7 days. Should be manageable. If not, we'll extend the deadline. One opponent per week would be a bit too long, imho. We have to be ambitious!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacessit View Post
    Nice to see I can join, my Steam name is Lacessit1.
    Of course! This forum is a free country! Terms and conditions apply. Access may be denied or terminated at management's discretion. Cannot be exchanged or returned. This does not affect your statutory rights.

Seriously, 7-9 matches in a week? You know some people have work to do, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Seriously, 7-9 matches in a week? You know some people have work to do, right?
    I swear I remember you not wanting to run this. Hmm... : )

Also it's 6-9. Also I have work to do too. Also if we don't manage, like I said above, we'll postpone the deadline.

Are you suggesting 2-3 matches a week? Are we gamers or pensioners?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So first match: Fire Water Gasoline vs Kataras424 - Trainyard map was 2-0 to Fire Water Gasoline.
    Fire Water Gasoline lost 2 members while Kataras242 lost 7.

Literally bit the dust.

Useless sniper...

Obscure Node
    Finished my first match, against Steef!

Cabal_ VS Steef on Graveyard:
    Round 1:
    Cabal_ wins! Killed 6 units, lost 1.
    Round 2: Steef wins! Killed 6 units, lost 5.
    Round 3: Cabal_ wins! Killed 5 units, lost 0.

23 units were killed during this match.
    Special mention of "Sectoid 6", who somehow managed to dodge 6 units shooting at him, an entire team, and a sectoid supressing him on the following turn. He deserved a medal. :( (I did not get a screenshot, as I was too busy swearing)
    Last edited by Cabal; 17-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Obscure Node
    So I played two of my match ups.....it did not go well, two very good opponents and I was left picking myself up after a bit of a beating, both went kind of the same way a first round crushing defeat, to a close second round that I won by the skin of my teeth and back to a crushing defeat but I never had so much fun playing Xcom and have to hand it to my opponents it was better play and tactics that won the day.

I have two special mentions to make, first I honor a hero a legend among all sectoids, I will let Cabal tell the story of sectoid 6 but rest assured it was all manner of Boss-ness, and second mention to Cabal both his team composition and the way he played was a real good lesson in the way to play XCOM, I am not going to spoil his loadout but seen it played well you cant help but appreciate the thought behind the way it works and the thinking need to pull it off.

Even as I go down in a ball of flames I never the less look forward to my last match up in the hopes to redeem myself and wish everyone the best of luck in the tournament and maybe over the christmas holidays we could have another tournament, giving me enough time to lick my wounds and practice my game.

Activated Node
    Match Sotto Voce vs Steef (Bar) - 2:1

Battle 1 - Sotto Voce wins (played on nov 16th)

Sotto Voce squad (9900 pts):
    2x Gunner Assault (2x LPR, 2x Sceleton Suit, 2x Stimpack, 1x Laser Pistol)
    3x Sectoid

Steef squad (9900 pts):
    1x Sectiod Commander
    2x Recon Assault (2x Alloy Cannon, 2x Stimpack)
    3x Sectiod

I had the first move, started in back alley. Went over the roof with my Gunners. Popped the stims on turn 2. Steef's Commander had mind links on all of his sectoids (bad idea), so next turn I took out all of them and one of his assaults. His last soldier went down next turn after that. I didn't lose anyone IIRC.

Battle 2 - Steef wins (played on nov 16th)

2x Gunner Assault (2x LPR, 2x Sceleton Suit, 2x Stimpack, 1x Laser Pistol)
    3x Sectoid

Steef squad (9900 pts):
    1x Sectiod Commander
    2x Recon Assault (2x Alloy Cannon, 2x Stimpack)
    3x Sectiod

We played this right after the first one. Steef had the first move this time, but the starting positions were the same. Again I chose the roof route, but proceeded more cautiously, letting his sectiods to control the map. Used stims on turn 3, but on the next turn I ran out of time before I could move my second Gunner, so I've only managed to take out one of his Recons. That was somewhat evened out when his SC failed a mind control (must've been 55% or so), but I fumbled again by not noticing that his second assault popped a stimpack. I take out Sectoid Commander, lose assault in return, my another Gunner finally arrives at the scene, but doubleshot is not enough for his soldier, because he's still under stims. I lose the gunner and the match (Steef's sectoids have killed every one of mine by this time).

Battle 3 - Sotto Voce wins (played on nov 17th)

Sotto Voce squad (9750 pts):
    4x Recon Assault (4x Scatter Laser, 4x Stimpack)
    1x Smokejumper Support (1x LPR, 1x Stimpack)

Steef squad (9??? pts):
    4x Tac Officer Support (3x LPR, 1x Plasma Rifle, ???)
    1x Sectiod

Steef started on the parking lot again. I saw him entering the bar on the second turn, so I stimmed up immediately. Killed two of his soldiers in the initial rush, then chased and picked off the rest. Didn't lose anyone.
    Last edited by Sotto Voce; 02-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Dear contestants,

The deadline of the first stage is shifted to Monday 26th as TailSwallower turns out to be geographically disadvantaged due to his or her homeland being on another planet. I can only meet them on the field of battle on Sunday because I work on Saturdays.

Also! I know that Steef played another match. Donde estan los resultatos?

Que Dios sea nuestro pastor!

PS
    Almost forgot, NoirDeathe doesn't seem to respond to stimuli. Did anyone have any success with him/her/it?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BestFriends4Ever View Post
    Dear contestants,

The deadline of the first stage is shifted to Monday 26th as TailSwallower turns out to be geographically disadvantaged due to his or her homeland being on another planet. I can only meet them on the field of battle on Sunday because I work on Saturdays.

Also! I know that Steef played another match. Donde estan los resultatos?

Que Dios sea nuestro pastor!

PS
    Almost forgot, NoirDeathe doesn't seem to respond to stimuli. Did anyone have any success with him/her/it?
    I think the same goes for me with regards to Tail although I can also play Saturdays. We managed to play one game, but the second froze mid-way. We re trying to re-schedule.

I didn't have any luck with Noir either.

Activated Node
    Sorry folks! I am around GMT evenings after work (6 - 11/12) but weekends are pretty much out as the missus demands attention (most of the time).

Will be playing this evening and losing horribly!

So, Fire Water Gasoline vs NoirDeathe was 2:0

We played on police station and during the first match Noir felt like he was a cool swat team but then lost in two turn after feeling like that.

The second match was quite close but Noir was a bit unlucky on the overwatch, though he took down one of my main units. I had height advantage and smoke and avoided death from the cyber disc. It was a tense match and a lot of fun and forgot to record it : )

Activated Node
    My guys were the swat, I just didn't realise what the hell some of those guns did. My people quickly died.

Activated Node
    Match Sotto Voce vs Cabal_ (Police Station) - 2:0

Round 1 - Sotto Voce wins (played on nov 19th)

6x Smokejumper Support (6x LPR, 4x Skeleton Suit, 6x Scope)

Cabal_ squad (9950 pts):
    4x Smokejumper Support (4x LPR, 4x Scope?)
    1x Psi Guardian Support (1x LPR, 1x Skeleton Suit, 1x Scope?, 1x Mind Shield?)
    1x Sectoid

Two heavily defensive teams this time. Mine was focused on taking and holding the roof, which on this map is only accessible to flying, leaping or grappling units; Cabal's was built around Telekinetic Field ability (I'm guessing here, since he never actually used it). I had some minor lag and dashing bug issues during the match, but in the end that extra mobility allowed me to outflank Cabal's troops. I lost one soldier.

Activated Node
    Round 2 - Sotto Voce wins (played on nov 19th)

6x Smokejumper Support (6x LPR, 4x Skeleton Suit, 6x Scope)

Cabal_ squad (10000 pts):
    3x Smokejumper Support (3x LPR, 3x Skeleton Suit, 3x Scope?)
    1x Psi Guardian Support (1x LPR, 1x Skeleton Suit, 1x Scope?, 1x Mind Shield?)

Cabal dropped two squad members for extra skeleton suits (it would be better, in my opinion, to get rid of the psionic, but keep the full squad, like 5 skeletons/1 sectiod or 4 skeletons/2 floaters). He also made a mistake of spreading his team too thin, which resulted in pretty lopsided loss (no casualties on my side).

Obscure Node
    Yeah that was a terrible game for me. That squad is really better on more open maps, where everyone can cover each other, taking advantage of the Psi Guardian abilities to protect everyone, or to deal some guaranteed damage with mindfray, while also reducing aim.

It wasn't until we were playing the second game that I realized I should have just chosen 3 sectoid commanders instead, hid behind the truck, and mind control Sotto's units, probably winning the game.

Sotto played very well, controlling the map, making me feel like there was nothing I could do, after the troops were separated from each other. :/

Obscure Node
    Finished my third match, against Lacessit.

Cabal_ VS Lacessit on Police Station
    Round 1: Cabal_ wins. Lost 1 SmokeJumper and the Support Guardian, but managed to push forward and flank Lacessit, winning the game.
    Round 2: Cabal_ wins. Killed the sectoid mind merging with Lacessit's main unit, gaining a huge advantage and winning the game.
    If it wasn't for that mistake, the second game would have been much longer, considering we both had similar squads.

That's it for me, so good luck to everyone that still has to play before the next phase. :)