Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    As promised here is the first game against Fire Water Gasoline:

As usual, select HD to get the best video quality.
    Last edited by Cabal; 04-12-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: HD comment

Obscure Node
    And the second game:

Sorry for the delay, gentlemen. I'll post about the last stage of the tournament within 1-2 hours.

THUS!!

The Final: Sotto Voce Vs Cabal_

The Third Place Match (is there a proper name for this? I don't watch sports): Fire Water Gasoline Vs Kataras424

And here's the fun part! Everyone plays on Trainyard because we can't argue with bloody dice : (

Monday's the deadline. Best of luck, gentlemen!

Obscure Node
    Yes! The best map. Did NOT wanted to play against Sotto Voce Police Station again. :P

Activated Node
    Yep, Police Station for the third time would be bad.

Activated Node
    So, Cabal_ defeats Sotto Voce in the final match 2:1. Very long and interesting game, more details and videos tomorrow.
    Congradulations, Cabal!

Obscure Node
    Well played man!
    It really was an intense game, especially the first 2 matches. Cat and mouse ftw!

I must have played on that map 20 times in a row, to make sure I had the best squad for the job. And then Sotto Voce had to come along and do something completely different from every opponent I faced. :/

But I won't spoil it, you can see the matches for yourselves when Sotto Voce uploads the videos. (the 3 recordings took around 40 GB on my HD, so I am guessing that it is probably going to take him a while)
    Last edited by Cabal; 10-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Third place match - Fire Water Gasoline Vs Kataras424 went 2:0. Though the game was saturated with smoke and mind control, it was accompanied by a friendly conversation about the future of XCOM and plans for the second RPS tournament.

Here be them overall results!

First Place: Cabal_
    Second Place: Sotto Voce
    Third Place: Fire Water Gasoline
    Fourth Place: Kataras424

Big old thank you to everyone who took part! This was pretty cool.

Shall we have another one over {{!!--XMAS--!!}} ? Please speak your minds!

Obscure Node
    Count me in, but it would be nice if we could find more people to participate.

Maybe create a group on Steam, so can invite people/post future tournaments and results? Might be easier to organize once we get people to join.
    I know there's already a group that a couple of us belong to (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/XCOMMP), but it looks like it is dead.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I am in as well, although I am away 22-25 Dec and then 30-7 Jan. However if we start soon we should be finished before New Year's?

I ll join the steam group,I don't think there is any point setting up a new one.

Maybe it's worth asking RPS to post a front-page 'come play XCOM' or something? I know the ARMA admins do this every now and again.

This game desperately needs new and larger maps though. The current ones are too cramped...

She is forced to call him and threaten

She is forced to call him and threaten

Some Girls Episode 6 Hart Of Dixie Season 2 Episodde 10 Raising Hope Season 3 Episode 10 The Voice of America Season 3 Episode 30 NCIS Season 10 Episode 9 The New Girl Season 2 Episode 11 Happy Endings Season 3 Episode 6 Rizzoli & Isles Season 3 Episode 13 NCIS: Los Angeles Season 4 Episode 9 The Mindy Project Episode 9 Parenthood (2010) Season 4 Episode 11 Leverage Season 5 Episode 13 Private Practice Season 6 Episode 9 Tia & Tamera Season 2 Episode 19 Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 Season 2 Episode 6 The Hour Season 2 Episode 5 Hart Of Dixie Season 2 Episodde 10 Raising Hope Season 3 Episode 10 The Voice of America Season 3 Episode 30 NCIS Season 10 Episode 9 The New Girl Season 2 Episode 11 Happy Endings Season 3 Episode 6 NCIS: Los Angeles Season 4 Episode 9 Parenthood (2010) Season 4 Episode 11 Leverage Season 5 Episode 13 Private Practice Season 6 Episode 9How I Met Your Mother Season 8 Episode 10 Gossip Girl Season 6 Episode 9 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 1 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 2 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 3 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 5 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 6 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 7 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 8 The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 9 The Vampire Diaries Season 4 Episode 8 Watch Breaking Dawn 2 Online Watch The Hobbit online Watch Rise of the Guardians online Watch Lincoln online Watch Life of Pi online Watch Playing for Keeps online Watch Wreck-It Ralph online Watch Red Dawn online Watch Flight online Watch Killing Them Softly online Watch Skyfall Online Watch Taken 2 Online

Obscure Node
    Count in the Spambot too obviously!

I want to do another one as well. I don't have enough competition and I desperately need to get better...

Activated Node
    Here are videos of the final match. Sorry for the delay, it took longer than expected.

Round 1 - Sotto Voce wins (played on dec 9th)

Sotto Voce squad (9950 pts):
    1x Hunter Sniper (1x Laser Sniper Rifle, 1x Skeleton Suit, 1x Scope)
    2x Sectiod Commander
    2x Sectiod

Cabal_ squad (9925 pts):
    1x Dead Eye Sniper (1x Plasma Sniper Rifle, 1x Archangel Armour, 1x Plasma Pistol, 1x Scope)
    2x Floater
    2x Sectiod

This battle started well for me - I have killed two sectiod spotters and gained control over both floaters, while losing only one sectoid of my own. For the rest of the game I struggled with controlling floaters and grenade aiming, while chasing Cabal's remaining sniper around the map (que Yakety Sax). After I finally nailed him only two my commanders and one Cabal's floater were left standing. At this point Cabal conceded defeat.

Activated Node
    Round 2 - Cabal_ wins (played on dec 9th)

Sotto Voce squad (9800 pts):
    2x Gunner Assault (2x LPR, 2x Skeleton Suit, 2x Stimpack)
    3x Sectoid

Cabal_ squad (9800 pts):
    1x Cyberdisc
    2x Drone
    2x Sectoid
    1x Floater

Masterful grenade throw by Cabal wounded both my assaults (before they stimmed up) and killed one sectiod at the beginning. Still, I managed to kill the cyberdisc. After that it was a role reversal compared to previous battle - my one surviving assault against cyberdisc's whole entourage. I almost pulled it off (this time Cabal had some difficulties with game interface), but my luck ran out when Cabal's last sectoid took a desperate low-percentage shot and hit.

Activated Node
    Round 3 - Cabal_ wins (played on dec 9th)

Sotto Voce squad (9800 pts):
    2x Gunner Assault (2x LPR, 2x Skeleton Suit, 2x Stimpack)
    3x Sectoid

Cabal_ squad (9800 pts):
    1x Cyberdisc
    1x Drone
    1x Sectoid Commander

Engagement started with Cabal's commander failing a 75% mind control attempt. Normally, a sectiod commander would be my first priority target, but after that I decided to go after cyberdisc, hoping that my two assaults would bring it down in one turn as in previous game. They didn't and were killed quickly, and any hope of winning the game died with them.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Goddamit, these mind controllers are making me rage... I ve lost the last 4-5 games to them, because I was unable to kill the controller in time. Is there any other strategy except than giving everyone mind shield? This is really starting to piss me off...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Goddamit, these mind controllers are making me rage... I ve lost the last 4-5 games to them, because I was unable to kill the controller in time. Is there any other strategy except than giving everyone mind shield? This is really starting to piss me off...
    If it is an expendable unit like smokejumper or rookie that is mind controlled, you can just kill him (and if you have a medic in your team, there's a chance you'll be able to revive him immediately, he won't be under control anymore). If the unit is vital for your squad composition, and you cannot kill the mindcontroller right away, then it's better to fall back and wait for mind control to wear off.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    thanks for the tip. I guess the mistake is I always chase the mind controller hoping I can save my unit. I didn't know the control wears off...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Did no one survive the holidays????

On a more serious note, I ve been playing some MP and I think the last updated screwed everything up. I got to play 1 game out of 10 or so that did not bug out (as in totally, forcing either me or the other person to quit).