Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar

Rock, Plasma, Sectoid - XCOM Multiplayer

So with the PC release of the new XCOM roughly a week away (ten days, but who's counting, really? Ok, admittedly, I am) was just throwing things out here to test the water and see who of the RPS lot would be up for playing some XCOM multiplayer once the full game is out.

I've seen some of the PAX coverage and with the points system they have for balancing, it would seem to be the kind of game where there's enough flexibility with different builds, unit types etc. to create some interesting choices and match ups.

Are people interested in that? Maybe a league at some point as well?

(Apologies if someone else already brought this up, did a quick scan of the thread list and didn't see anything that jumped out at me).

I'll be in. So much. Keen to play that weekend, in fact. [i also thought of a league, ala Fronapse.]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

The one thing that's making me a little hesitant to try and get a league or lots of multiplayer kicking off right after launch is schpoilerrrrrs ... multiplayer basically gives you access to every unit in the game, human and alien, to combine and equip with every weapon in the game when building your side. So playing multiplayer too early without having done a lot of single player will spoil the experience as unrevealed aliens, weapons etc. that you have to encounter, research, be terrified of etc. out in the single player campaign are going to be available to you.

If enough people are interested and no one else has done so, I'll definitely be trying to get some form of league going once everyone's had a chance to play through the single player for a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    With you there sketch, really lookong forward to the multiplayer after giving the single player a good seeing to

Network Hub
    Paint me interested.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I'm in when I'm done with Singleplayer.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I m in as well but I m not gonna wait till I finish SP. It's gonna take me ages to do that.

Same here I'll be up for playing once I've gotten a fair chunk of the way through with the singleplayer.

It's looking like great fun.

Cool, seems like there's a decent level of interest. After people have had a chance to get into the single player a bit will post again and figure out a good way to get a league working (also once we know exactly how the multiplayer stuff works, like map selection and so on).

Only one week to go!

Obscure Node
    I'm down for it!

I'll probably be up for it once you guys are done with the single player. Be sure to prepare your squads in advance though (through the horrible multiplayer interface) because every game I've played in multiplayer so far has been half gameplay and half waiting for the other guy to set up his team.

Well that brings up a question for you all - do you want a one-team-per-match or a one-term-per-season rule? I think either will make life equally interesting.

But I don't get my hands on XCOM until the wee small hours of Friday morning (because retailers are bastards) so I can't really get in and look at the MP interface at all.

I think sensible options are:

a) Random map selection, timed turns (adds an interesting edge to the multiplayer streams I've seen), fixed points limit per match, select your team fresh for each match played. Everyone plays everyone else = one season.

b) Random map selection, timed turns, fixed points limit but choose your team once at the beginning of the season (this may encourage people to pick more balanced sides). Everyone plays everyone else = one season.

But also open to suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    I can't really get in and look at the MP interface at all.
    Yeah, don't expect too much because it's pretty barebone. Private matches are : choose a map, set up a maximum amount of points for team creation, choose the turn timer and that's it. You can't really create anything long term with it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    I say chaps, I already have this on pre-order and would rather like to get involved in some sort of Arr-pee-ess league if such a thing were to come about... Once I've defended the world in SP, that is.
    Last edited by TailSwallower; 09-10-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: About-face!
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

I think quite a few of us will be up for some competitive multiplayer in a league styleeeee once we're done with single player a bit. I'll figure something out once I've had a look at the interface for multiplayer.

From the sound of what Choca was saying there might not be a lot of room for finesse but I guess we can sort something out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Just use a spreadsheet like in BB sketch

Spreadsheet was pretty much the line I was going to take :)

http://challonge.com/ is used by some of my associates to organise leagues of this sort

Interesting - thanks for the link Shar_ds, will dig a little deeper. I'd like to have an everyone-plays-everyone style league, I think that's probably the best way to get things off the ground.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    When the game goes officially live I'd be up for some Multiplayer, having seen most of the SP by now (semester holidays + new game release = binge gaming as if I was 12 again)