Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    I would join you guys but I am really, really bad and haven't even attempted multiplayer. Is there a way to spectate?

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    I would join you guys but I am really, really bad and haven't even attempted multiplayer.
    I also haven't even attempted MP yet. Join us.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by Sotto Voce View Post
    Wait, if there are three players per division, doesn't that mean someone has to play both matches in the same week?
    Hono! you're right.

We'll be a bit flexible with it, if that sounds good?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Obscure Node
    Just a quick suggestion but could we make the match ups the best of 3, first to get to know your opponent and the other two to make sure theres a clear winner

Edit: also would it be possible if its ok with my opponent to have our game tonight as tomorrow is busy for me
    Last edited by Steef; 15-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    so 1st step is to send steam friend invites to the other 2 people on your list and then PM them to arrange a match?

Yep, the season starts tomorrow, after that you've got a week to get your matches played and report it here. IF you can can get both of your matches played, that'd be great.

You should play a rematch [with the same team. Scouts honour here guys] if your game breaks. XCOM can be buggy.

Reporting Your Match

I need to know who won, who lost - and how many people were killed.

-
    Otherwise - What do you guys think RE: Teams? Do you want to play the same teams for all 3 matches, or do you want to be free to play as much as possible?

Someone should really take this off my hands shortly.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    Yep, the season starts tomorrow, after that you've got a week to get your matches played and report it here. IF you can can get both of your matches played, that'd be great.

You should play a rematch [with the same team. Scouts honour here guys] if your game breaks. XCOM can be buggy.

Reporting Your Match

-
    Otherwise - What do you guys think RE: Teams? Do you want to play the same teams for all 3 matches, or do you want to be free to play as much as possible?

Personally if the game breaks then you must use the team you were using but I would like to be able to change up between games if I liked, this is a rock paper scissors type games so if your team is rock and the enemy is paper you can switch it up to be scissors but at the risk that your opponent may have switched to rock if that makes sense. Just a quick note I cant confirm this but recently when I took a disk and drones the game would freeze at the start of my opponents turn, just a bug people should be aware of.

Obscure Node
    Guys, I don't know if I can still join, and I have zero MP experience as well... But I'm tempted! Could I Should I?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacessit View Post
    Guys, I don't know if I can still join, and I have zero MP experience as well... But I'm tempted! Could I Should I?
    Can you still join I would say probably yes but DWZippy will be able to tell you, should you join defiantly the more the better, its all for a bit of fun

Reporting Your Match

-

I can take it off your hands. What do I need to do?

How were you going to go about choosing the maps? RNG?

So we play best of three or just one? What if everyone wins one match (decided by people killed?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacessit View Post

I would say yes but Zippy is still the boss. Let's wait for him/her/it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    I would join you guys but I am really, really bad and haven't even attempted multiplayer. Is there a way to spectate?

We have another inexperienced person who wants to join. That would make 8 players, perfect balance. But again, lets wait for Zippy.

Also, I will be recording my games and putting them on my channel (in signature) so you can always watch at least those.

yeah, you two should be involved - but from now this is BestFriends tournament. I just gave it the kick up the arse it needed.

Enjoy your games guys.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Best of three based on wins-losses? Also I think if we go down the best of three route, same teams per match should be standard?

Also thanks DWZippy for getting this thing off the ground!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Best of three based on wins-losses? Also I think if we go down the best of three route, same teams per match should be standard?

Also thanks DWZippy for getting this thing off the ground!
    I would think changing up your units between rounds would be preferable, as if you bring a muton army and your opponent has brought MC units its pretty hard to fight that as you just get half or a third of your army MC and as I found out mind merged units that use MC bypass mind shield, in that case I would like mindless units but my opponent would also have the chance changed his units too so it remains fair and as a best of three you both have a fair chance. That would also introduce a meta strategy to the tournament and keep each game exciting, as you cant be sure what your opponent might bring. The only reason to keep the same units is if the game bugged out and you need to restart that round then you should keep the same units you had. I also feel that it is a better measure of skill, it see how you can adapt to your opponent then just using a preset build that currently optimal
    Last edited by Steef; 16-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Steef View Post
    I would think changing up your units between rounds would be preferable, as if you bring a muton army and your opponent has brought MC units its pretty hard to fight that as you just get half or a third of your army MC and as I found out mind merged units that use MC bypass mind shield, in that case I would like mindless units but my opponent would also have the chance changed his units too so it remains fair and as a best of three you both have a fair chance. That would also introduce a meta strategy to the tournament and each game and keep it exciting as to what your opponent might bring. The only reason to keep the same units is if the game bugged out and you need to restart that round then you should keep the same units you had
    Ok it does make sense and keeps things more interesting.

I AM THE DUNGEON MASTER!!!!

Fellow alien probing aficionados, please check back here in 2-3 hours for the full summery and update of rules and map allocation.

If you haven't subscribed to this thread, please do so now. May the RNG gods be merciful to us all!

Honestly, you should really keep the same team for all 3 rounds. If you bring the wrong team to the table, that's your problem ;)
    You, sir, are awesome.

Obscure Node
    Honestly, you should really keep the same team for all 3 rounds. If you bring the wrong team to the table, that's your problem ;)
    I think static teams removes a large part of strategy, its one of my main problems with xcom multiplayer at the moment. Having a team that just so happens to be a perfect counter to my team is not strategically good its just lucky and theres all ready enough randomness in this game as it is. Also it show a players understanding of the game, what counters what but even if you create a team to counter the one you just faced they may also have changed there style of play. The only ones that suffer are the inflexible who have created a power build, we all know how fun its to play against SS snipers with your basic troops but if thats the only way you know how to play it does not make you a better player because your opponent may show up with ghost armor and ruin your day. The current one off game system of xcom has lead rise to the multi cheap solider build or the multi commander build but multi round system where you change your units people may pull out some unusual combos. Finally part of the excitement is not knowing what your opponent has and making on the fly decisions base on what they have brought to the game

Ok, here's the breakdown.

We play best of three, i.e. until 2 wins against an opponent, 90 second matches. I will randomly assign maps (see below) and you can switch squads between games (more on this also below).

Two best players out of each league will meet in semi-finals. Then there will be finals and the fight for the bitter and lucrative 3rd place between the semi-finals losers.

All results are to be reported here. Who won, who lost, against who, how many times. It is important that you also report lost rounds because this will help us determine who goes into semi-finals in case two people have same amount of wins. Please feel free to add little reports of how it went down to entice our appetites for war.

In case the game breaks down, or someone is disconnected, we do a rematch. Let us trust each other but cast a shroud of eternal shame on those who will breach that trust.

In case of a no-show of your opponent, which should be reported here before one week is up, you will receive a victory by default.

These are the leagues

League A:

• Noirdeathe
    • Fire Water Gasoline
    • Kataras424
    • TailSwallower

League B

• Sotto Voce
    • Steef_
    • Cabal_
    • Lacessit (Is this your Steam name?)

The maps

Noirdeathe vs Fire Water Gasoline - Police Station
    Kataras424 vs TailSwallower - Bar
    Noirdeathe vs Kataras424 - Bar
    Fire Water Gasoline vs TailSwallower - Boulevard
    Noirdeathe vs TailSwallower - Boulevard
    Fire Water Gasoline vs Kataras424 - Trainyard

Sotto Voce vs Steef_ - Bar
    Cabal_ vs Lacessit - Police Station
    Sotto Voce vs Cabal_ - Police Station
    Steef_ vs Lacessit - Boulevard
    Sotto Voce vs Lacessit - Police Station
    Steef_ vs Cabal_ - Grand Cemetery

I used a random number generator on random.org to choose the maps for us.

On the subject of squad mixing - this is a lot more fun way to play. Guessing and second guessing and bluffing makes any game better.

If someone wants to change any of the rules, please start the discussion. You can either convince me that a change you're offering will make the world a better place or you can find 4 others (from the players of this tournament) who think like you and overrule me.

You have one week! Have fun and report back. Add everyone on Steam!