Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGS Podcast

TGS Podcast

Hello all! I was just wondering if many of my fellow RPSers watch The Gamestation Podcast? I quite like it, as even though it doesn't stay on topic TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox are highly entertaining.

I tend to get my gaming coverage from here, TB and the TGS guys and I'm also catching up to present day with Idle Thumbs. (THE WIZARD).

Just wanted to start the thread for some discussion, and to see if anyone has recommendations for other good podcasts and Let's Play 'ish people. (I haven't tried Yogscast or Giantbomb cast yet!).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I watch it, though rarely when it's live. I don't fancy watching something that's going to last 3 hours when it's already 11pm and I've a 5am start. It's pretty entertaining although it rarely informs me of anything new. By the time they start on news I've probably already heard it.

I don't find any of the Lets Players from TGS entertaining though. Jessie on his own is very dull. He's better when he's in a group and even then only if the game they're playing is something I enjoy. I really enjoyed the Yogscast very early on when they just started doing Minecraft videos, when they were pretending they knew nothing and it was all new and exciting to them. As impressive as their storyline and the towns they build have gotten, it's not nearly as entertaining now that they're so self aware of both the show being fake and their popularity.

I don't watch live either. It's great to have in the background while I'm doing some work.

I think Jesse is a bit like marmite for some people. Myself and my gf get a lot of enjoyment out of his series but I know that he isn't for everyone. TB's 'WTF is' series is useful and the Terraria series is great as it's something I also play with my gf.

I like Dodger too but am a little disappointed to see her doing the whole 'sexy gamer girl' thing for this TGS video.
    http://youtu.be/C3ZxW93XjFc
    She is obviously pretty and is entitled to do whatever she wants, but as she actually does contribute and has good gaming knowledge I was a little disappointed to see this. It kind of cheapens TGS for me and feels way too 'IGN' if that makes any sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well last one was a jewel. I actually am entertained by the podcast, but usually it runs in background of games, since I like listening to people talk funny more than music for the moment.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I like Dodger too but am a little disappointed to see her doing the whole 'sexy gamer girl' thing for this TGS video.

This is ridiculous... it was one gig. Furthermore, it wasn't even a gig related to anything that she does normally. While Dodger is a very pretty woman, she does nothing in her regular stuff that tries to capitalize on being 'sexy gamer girl'. One job where she is doing a parody of a Nicki Minaj song is not a good place to be able to tell what she's really like.

Now if she actually acted like that in her regular channels, okay... but she's NOTHING like that. To compare her to the women working for IGN is just... ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    This is ridiculous... it was one gig. Furthermore, it wasn't even a gig related to anything that she does normally. While Dodger is a very pretty woman, she does nothing in her regular stuff that tries to capitalize on being 'sexy gamer girl'. One job where she is doing a parody of a Nicki Minaj song is not a good place to be able to tell what she's really like.

Now if she actually acted like that in her regular channels, okay... but she's NOTHING like that. To compare her to the women working for IGN is just... ludicrous.[/COLOR]
    Sorry, I should probably clarify. I don't mean it to be against Dodger, more about TGS possibly ending up a bit like IGN for doing it. I mentioned being disappointed because the content is in contrast to her providing useful discussion and generally being a funny person. In my opinion the video isn't very funny as a parody and just seemed like a vehicle for some sexy lady dancing. Maybe it's just me but it just seemed weird to have her in that context. I'm sure she wasn't coerced into it, but I would just hate it to end up with 'sexy lady talk bot' presenters rather than letting people contribute based onh them being good (which she is)whether they are hot or not.

It's clearly not the end of the world, and won't be the last time something like this happens, but just felt a little strange. Possibly just me. I'll leave this topic alone as I don't want to start any fights :)

Honestly... Dodger's part in that was more aggressive than flat-out sexy. I don't think anything about that video was cheap. It was a parody, straight up.
    The bit right at the end was hilarious too.

But yes.. back on topic, I was the TGS podcast every week, live. I have no life. At all. :D

Oh and there is some hilarious stuff on deviantart for the TGS podcast. Man the stuff they have TB and Jesse doing...

Oh Uncle Deckard!!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    hehe. been watching since ep 1 (which i did live) but neither my internet nor timing is up to the task of watching it. (internet is fast enough but i often lose connections and it often slows to a crawl. especially when someone else is sitting on skype. wtf is with that program)

love it
    most of the time its complete nonsense (hilarious tough) but at times its really interesting. loved the bit about how JC and TB explained why playing mmorp is actually a chore and how getting to "endgame" is a frigging torture... it reassured me that trying to get into mmorpg is a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    loved the bit about how JC and TB explained why playing mmorp is actually a chore and how getting to "endgame" is a frigging torture... it reassured me that trying to get into mmorpg is a big mistake.
    Yeah that was really interesting. Think it came up about someone posting about GW2 and that everyone was ruining the MMORPG by rushing to endgame. I feel kinda similar to you about staying out of them. I tried SWTOR because I loved the KOTOR series and just wish they had offered a single player version without weird MMO combat!

One of my favourite moments of the series is when Crendor impersonated Dodger. That was bloody hilarious. (Think poor Dodger was sick and dealing with a death in the family at the time.)

Yeah it's pretty entertaining but a bit too long for my taste. 2 h. is the most I can handle.

http://youtu.be/aCRNvyqfyJw New podcast with Felicia Day is up. Well worth watching at least the first 10 minutes for Jesse's interaction with her.

(Also, TB agreed that Dodger's video was a 'shamefur dispray', haha :P )

God, that was such a hilarious intro.

Indeed. Whole episode was hilarious as well as informative. One of the best they did.

I caught the TGS podcast a few times on twitch.tv but can't stand too much of it generally. Mostly because TB is such a pompous douchebag, but the chick is kinda hot which balances it out a bit. They do seem to go over some interesting topics but their discussions are pedestrian at best and usually seem to end up in just a ton of complaining. It's like overhearing nerds talking about nerd shit while you're in a comic book shop or a line to a movie.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    the chick is kinda hot which balances it out a bit
    and that's important why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    and that's important why?

Because I find cute girls more pleasing to the eye/ear than chubby mouthbreathers with neckbeard*? Why do you think they have her on the show? Boobs man. Boobs!

And she's the least annoying... Because boobs.

*I can say that because I qualify as one also.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

There is more in depth serious discussion on different podcasts for sure, but this is mainly meant for entertainment so it involves a lot of off topic messing around. TB puts on a lot of the animosity, but I guess if you don't like him that's that.

Not sure why you care so much about people's looks on a gaming podcast though. Kind of surprised that you post on RPS to be honest, considering the writer's stances on booth babes etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Because I find cute girls more pleasing to the eye/ear than chubby mouthbreathers with neckbeard*? Why do you think they have her on the show? Boobs man. Boobs!

And she's the least annoying... Because boobs.

*I can say that because I qualify as one also.
    You shallow shallow, little man.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!