Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Prices aren't double what they were before the floods. They're still elevated, yes, but you're exaggerating. There certainly was scarcity, but the price hike was also partially preemptive, scaring away customers so demand didn't outstrip production as much as it could have.

Obscure Node
    Prices aren't double what they were before the floods.
    Yes they are. On 1tb drives. On 2tb drives its around 150% of what they were 18 months ago.

The i5 2500k is 167 ~ $270.
    What ? I'll be buying i5-3750k soon, its 230$.

The only thing you need is the product code so you can actually activate Windows after installing. Otherwise you'd have to reinstall every week or something of the sort.
    You dont need to activate Windows 7. Ever. If you dont want to. The worst it will do is give you a nag screen every day or so, and not allow you to set a wallpaper.

The basic bang for buck upgrade rule: (assuming each part you use is of a baseline quality/performance of course)
    GPU >>>>>>> CPU >>>>> RAM (assuming you have 2GB or more) > HDD
    Not always true. If you're into, say, emulation, GPU is the least of your needs.
    Last edited by karry; 10-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    Yes they are. On 1tb drives. On 2tb drives its around 150% of what they were 18 months ago.
    Not quite. Not even back in June.

What ? I'll be buying i5-3750k soon, its 230$.
    Where are you buying it though? And obviously the i5-3570k is not the same as the i5-2500k.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Not quite. Not even back in June.

Where are you buying it though? And obviously the i5-3570k is not the same as the i5-2500k.
    It is, actually. The 3570 is the 2500 with 22nm architecture. Considering that the equal-but-slightly-less-power-hungry version is 230 dollars (and that is Intell's recommended price, it is stupid to go higher then that as a retailer) , it seems odd that the slighlty older version would be selling for anything more then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It is, actually. The 3570 is the 2500 with 22nm architecture. Considering that the equal-but-slightly-less-power-hungry version is 230 dollars (and that is Intell's recommended price, it is stupid to go higher then that as a retailer) , it seems odd that the slighlty older version would be selling for anything more then that.
    It could be an effort to push people away from Sandy Bridge, towards Ivy. If production's going down as well, then obviously prices will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    It is, actually. The 3570 is the 2500 with 22nm architecture.
    No, the 3570 is the same architecture at a new manufacturing node, with a new type of transistor gates and with an expanded IGPU. It also features a different material between the silicon and the IHS, with poorer thermal characteristics.

As for the prices, Intel has an MSRP that is relevant mainly for the US market. When a country (like the UK) adds VAT, they don't just sell their stuff cheaper to compensate.

Lesser Hivemind Node

Not always true. If you're into, say, emulation, GPU is the least of your needs.
    Yes, hence the keyword 'BASIC' in basic rule.... I mean , seriously?

Also just to indulge you : dolphin now has excellent gpu acceleration, so while you still need a high end cpu for it, you also benifit greatly from a good gpu.

Again: in general (normal gaming), spending 100 euros more on a gpu is going to get you a frigging LOT higher framerates than spending 100 more euros on a cpu (let alone on something silly like an SSD).
    Again, assuming you aren't just being obtuse and trying to pair a low end c2duo with a gtx 670...

To bash ssds some more: totalbisquit was attributing his 3second load times in dishonored to his SSD, my not formatted since 2010 bought in 2008 95 percent full (if you know HDDS this shits on performance) 1TB HDD with damaged sectors also has 3 seconds load times in dishonored (/offtopic)
    Last edited by Finicky; 11-10-2012 at 05:49 PM.