Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    DICE is just protecting its Intellectual Property. How would you feel if some hackers or other criminals destroyed your artistic vision ?
    I'd thank them. Really, have you seen my artistic vision? It's almost as bad and bland as Dice's. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    And criminals!
    Comprehensive list of games destroyed by their mod scenes:

It's like voter ID laws: Let's fuck up the whole process to protect against a threat that doesn't actually exist! There's no ulterior motive here at all!
    Last edited by Nalano; 05-10-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    DICE isn't protecting intellectual property, they are just trying to squeeze every penny out of players. Want to run a server? Sure, you can have "your very own" just rent one from these guys! That means no real "custom" servers, and no modding, because they don't want to support that stuff on their servers... and we can't run servers, so...

Too bad DICE never experienced one of their games doubling in popularity because of a total conversion...so much that their next game would be made to be more like the mod and less like the original. hmm

am I the only one that interpreted b0rsuk's post as sarcasm?

The point is, if they allowed modding then this mod wouldn't HAVE to do anything dodgy. It's is DICE or EA being silly. And as for their art style, pff. It's not theirs anyway, it was completely stolen from Michael Bay and it looks silly and monotone. The mod makes the game look so gorgeous :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Given the idiocy of some regular posters (COUGH Kadayi COUGH) and how some people will white-knight a video games publishing company to the death, it's sadly not likely he's sarcastic.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    At this point, I wouldn't believe him even if he​ told me he was being sarcastic.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4B9l5CC1Po

If you think that is a good flight model, I guess you are right... there is no argument because we will never agree.

DC Helis were a fudge job that essentially put an aircraft propeller in the middle of the helicopter. This meant it was massively unstable because the thrust was focused in such a tiny area. That did make it maneuverable, but it was actually closer to a brick with a jetpack strapped to it that the choppers DICE has made. DICE's helicopters do things like...react to impacts instead of ignoring newtonian physics when things hit them. They also lose lift when the rotors go beyond a certain angle.

So as to dumbing down the physics, that is hardly a fact. The physics have gotten more complicated and realistic. Older games were less complex and less able to model reality, this made them more abuseable and difficult to learn with counter-intuitive physics.

I will grant there are issues, like the jets getting turned into gliders....but claiming older BF games had better physics is laughable for anyone who actually remembers the issues in them.

You aren't arguing for better physics, you are arguing for worse physics so that people can congregate around the stupid stuff that happens with poor physics modelling. That's your taste. I would suggest that if bonkers physics fun is your thing and the loopy things people do in those videos aren't good enough for you, then BF might not be the series for you anymore. Seems like all you enjoyed were accidents of bad or limited programming.

I would feel roughly the same pity for a person refusing to buy the latest Valve game because it made surf maps impossible. None.
    DC helis had inertia, angular momentum and weight.
    BF3 ones don't, (or if they do, they modeled the engines to have ridiculous amounts of power to negate all three in an instant).

In DC you could get some good momentum, yaw your heli 90 degrees, lower the throttle a bit angle down and have that momentum carry you through a straferun , while still being able to make adjustments based on throttle/orientation of thrust.
    In bf3 you can not.

In DC your engine took time to spool up if you gunned it, so it would take time to regain thrust if you had lowered the power a lot, in bf3 your engine and rotors magically ignore the laws of physics and spool up to full powa near instantly.

DC helis lost stability beyond a certain roll angle because that is what real helicopters do... DC helis follow the rule of physics, bf3 helis handle like they are suspended on rubber band strings that are manipulated by a puppeteer.
    In dc if you fucked up you had better be at a good altitude to be able to recover, else you got punished like all the scrubs who could never land or take off properly.

Momentum in DC meant you had to plan your manouvres , in bf3 you constantly pull off physics defying manouvres and turns, the physics and handling couldn't have LESS to do with the thrust delivered by the prop or the weight of the helicopter that is plowing through the skies.

Hell, bf3 won't even let you fly backwards at speed with your nose pitched up at all, simply because of the hackjob physics, your heli will just really slowly meander backwards at some default speed set by the game engine.

Again, let me remind you of the very first point, the total lack of momentum and angular momentum, they are real, objective and objectively dumb down the gameplay and handling big time.

DC handling was more punishing, much more rewarding, much more deliberate and much more elaborate.
    DICE themselves have never been able to do heli physics, I bought bf:vietnam back in 2004 or whenever it was released because of the helis , but they were so hilariously badly simulated, stomping all over the gameplay. Nothing changed since then.
    DC physics were intuitive, bf3s are not, you seem to confuse forgiving and arcadey for intuitive.

Thank god they hired (and disbanded) trauma though! oh man are we lucky to be able to enjoy DICE's artistic vision™
    SHit and dust and jelly and blur and bloom all over my face! Fuck gameplay! Fuck colors! Fuck the community.

Also linking a video in which the comments praise the handling is really going to convince the outsider that you are right!
    Last edited by Finicky; 06-10-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Network Hub
    I love these rants, carry on!