Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    In the questionare I stated both my positive and negative impressions. The Fractals are brilliant and a lot of fun (I need to play them some more, haven't seen all of them or even fought one of the between-level bosses), the incredible lag however ruined any potential interest I might have had in the event itself. As I've said above, I would have soldiered through the one-time event if I had known what the rewards were beforehand, but thinking about it, I must admit that it would have been quite a poor reason to do so and wouldn't have had anything to do with the quality of the event itself.
    Hehe well that mirrors my feedback, I too mentioned the reward.

Really though I still feel that one-time anything has no place in a persistent game. Reoccurring or evolving events like Halloween year-on-year are fine, but to throw something out there and have it be gone forever is arguably a waste of time for the players who never saw it, or whose experience was ruined by bugs. Why throw that developer time away when you can use it to build the game, permanently. Even permanent 'one time only' additions can be presented as flashback content.

My opinion was further coloured by the nature of this event - what consequences are there for wiping out the karka queen? Why was this event given such importance when defeating Zhaitan is a repeatable instance with no repercussions? In acknowledging the massive impact on the game world that destroying Zhaitan would have, they undermine the extremely local impact cleansing Sunset Cove has. The importance of the event given that it's essentially destroying a giant beehive seemed wholly artificial in retrospect.

This turned into a longer rant than I expected... I was more polite and didn't embellish so much on my survey response, I hope!

I have no problem with one-time events, I just wish they would learn and get some more servers. I logged in, only to have a ping of ~6000 and get a d/c within minutes. I then played some Starcraft 2 fun maps with friends, which was much more fun, but didn't give exotics. Oh well.
    The fractals are totally awesome though.

Cheers for the survey link Screwie.

I don't have a huge problem with one time events although if I wasnt able to attend I suspect I would feel differently. The technical issues majorly marred the experience and the fact that it was so long was also a major negative.

I say it regularly and will keep saying it until someone learns: more health does not equal more fun, nor does it mean your content is more challenging (except possibly to my patience)

PS to answer the earlier question - I got a precursor - the worst precursor ever!

Got the Bard, managed to get 10g for it so not all bad but still felt like a kick in the teeth when I consider that I got a precursor but it could have been a shiny one I could have gotten a 100+g for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I got 2 gold out of the items. Don't complain.

I got... oh well, nevermind.

I didn't get anything for mine (I'm using them).

ps. one way of getting around the lag would be to have the one time events in all the starting areas not just Lions Arch. Although that wouldn't really work for opening new areas of the world such as Southsun Cove.
    Instancing the characters in part 2 would also have helped.

I was going to put this as a suggestion in the survey but Anet didn't have an additional comments box.
    Last edited by hawksbane; 22-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.

The next major event has been announced - Wintersday! (link)

This year the city of Lion’s Arch will host the asuran Toymaker Tixx as their special Wintersday guest of honor. Before Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch in his massive airship toy workshop, he’ll visit every major city in Tyria to deliver Wintersday toys and holiday cheer.
    Glad to see the other cities get a little love.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Yeah, me too -- Lion's Arch has been getting too much of the attention IMO...
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

The Wintersday schedule is now online:

December 14 The Wintersday celebration begins! You’ll find the customary snowmen, presents, and holiday cheer all over Tyria and in the Mists during Wintersday, but Lion’s Arch is really the place to be. Each year the citizens of Lion’s Arch deck the halls with festive décor and fill the air with holiday carols.

Even Zommoros, the eccentric djinn trapped within the Mystic Forge, loves Wintersday. He’s transformed the Forge into a giant snow globe that holds three brand-new holiday activities:
    • Winter Wonderland It’ll take more than a good pair of snow boots to get you through this Wintersday’s jumping puzzle. Speak to the Festive Youth near the snow globe in Lion’s Arch to test your luck—and your balance.
    • Snowball Mayhem If you’ve got holiday spirit and a good throwing arm, visit the Festive Lionguard near the Lion’s Arch snow globe to try out the new snowball fight PvP activity!
    • Bell Choir Ring in the season with this new musical activity inside the Lion’s Arch snow globe, accessed through the Bell Maestro. It doesn’t matter if you have rhythm—Wintersday is all about harmony.

December 15 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET)
    The Grove The Toymaker’s first stop of the season is on the home soil of the sylvari. Inside the airship, you’ll meet Tixx and his somewhat unstable golem Toxx and experience a series of unique new events that feature a brand-new toy. What magical marvel has Tixx created for the sylvari?

December 16 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET)
    Divinity’s Reach Tixx’s airship floats above the spires of the Krytan capital on the second stage of his Wintersday tour. Board Tixx’s floating workshop and play brand-new events based on the fancy new toy he’s made just for the noble humans.

December 17 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET)
    Black Citadel Even the charr love Wintersday in their own ferocious way. The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx hovers in the smoky skies over the Black Citadel for one day only. Climb aboard to see what kind of toy Tixx and his Funwerks Krewe have crafted for the charr.

December 18 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET)
    Hoelbrak The norn welcome the toymaker’s airship for its brief visit to the great lodge of Hoelbrak. What toy is cute and tough enough to endure the hearty norn? Enter Tixx’s workshop and find out!

December 19 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET)
    Rata Sum Tixx returns to his home turf on the penultimate stop of his Wintersday tour. This year he’s created a unique toy that only an asura could love. Board his floating workshop for more toy-centric events and holiday havoc!

December 20 10:00 AM PST (7:00 PM CET) until January 3, 2013
    Lion’s Arch Toymaker Tixx finally arrives at Lion’s Arch! As the Wintersday guest of honor, Tixx and his workshop will remain in Lion’s Arch for the rest of the holiday. He has a special Wintersday gift for everyone who visits him while he’s in Lion’s Arch. So, stop by, play through all the previous toy events inside the workshop, or try out the new Toypocalypse event!
    • Toypocalypse The toys in Tixx’s workshop have gone haywire! They’re trying to take over the gigantic toymaking machine in the center of the workshop, and if they succeed, Wintersday will be ruined! Defend Tixx’s present-delivering dolyaks and the gigantic toy-making machine from waves of maniacal toys in these challenging and fun events.
    Plus some notes from the devs:

The transition of the airship departing and arriving is at 10 AM PST each day, but all of the actual content is available at-will, all day long.
    If you miss any of the days in a specific city, you can re-play that days event all over again once Tixx arrives in Lion’s Arch. He will let you do this the entire time he is in Lion’s Arch, from his arrival there until the Wintersday event comes to an end.
    ..aaand there will be new items in the gem store too.

Source: the official webpage, which also has this trailer:

Excited!

That sounds really good! Sadly I won't have a lot of time to play on the weekend, but I need to squeeze in half an hour here and there to see the different capitals during the visits. We should also form guild groups for those daily events.

Quaggan!

Did the jumping quest . It was a really toned down difficulty. I won't complain, it seems like a waste that it's just there for jumping though. Reminds me of those Sonic Bonus level where you spin around and grab the gem.

The daily Tixx workshop stuff seems OK. Only had one bug out where the 40th doll to be painted can't be found. Oh well, did it daily and never felt the need to repeat due to DR.

The presents spawn around the world can be a bitch though. If they spawned the princess dolls, get the hell away ASAP. 16 instant stacks of confusion was no joke.

I made a Toy Princess and was kinda meh about it. I guess that's it for Xmas huh.

Obscure Node
    I find the jump puzzle pretty fun. The timer (health degen) and collapsing platform mechanic serve well to push you into doing it in one big run rather than constant stop, line up, jump, stop, line up, jump, stop....

The one bit that I struggle with, for some reason, is the two candy cane bars half way through the first section. Half the time I miss the jump from the first to the second, especially when on the path where there the same level.

PVP was an amusing distraction but the one that I've spent more time on than I would expect is the bells mini game. I think it's triggering some sort of guitar hero flashback syndrome.

I feel like I'm on a bit of a downer about gw2 at the moment so apologies if this comes across as overly whiny but...(you knew that was coming!)

The airship dungeon thing is rubbish. Its not even remotely challenging - with a full group you may as well leave things to auto cast - 2 manning was a bit more of a challenge but the fact we could do that without any wipes says to me that the content is not hard enough. Also, painting 40 dolls? Because running around pressing 1 is huge amounts of fun...

The jumping puzzle is pretty cool. Although I was somewhat disappointed it was so forgiving compared to clocktower - particularly when they've addressed some of the visibility issues by having multiple paths

Well it was meant for casual play. I can't really fault them for toning down the difficulty, but for the paint 40 dolls is definite shit, yes.

I must say the event does felt pretty 'over' too soon for me.

Well, there's still "Toypocalypse" to come... this event was always going to be front-loaded in terms of content since it's designed to account for the fact that people won't be able to play for large chunks of time over Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone! See you soon again in Tyria!