Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Edit: I should add that while it's indeed illegal here, I've never actually known anyone to get into trouble for it unless they were actually dealing. I don't think I'm lying if I say that half my friends have at some point or other been caught with a bag on them at festivals or the like and generally given a free pass or a warning to not deal if they had more than 20 grams. That's my defence for forgetting it's illegal and I'm sticking to it. :)
    I live in a country that has a quarter of the world's prison population, half of which are in prison due to drug offenses. Forgetting it's illegal is a one-way ticket to federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I live in a country that has a quarter of the world's prison population, half of which are in prison due to drug offenses. Forgetting it's illegal is a one-way ticket to federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison. :P
    Yea, I realize that it's a bit of a luxury to be able to forget without getting your life ruined.

But I must admit that the US policies on crime (and punishment) for the most part baffles me.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Are you white? If so its cool, you can probably forget about US drug laws, they only sort of apply to you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Are you white? If so its cool, you can probably forget about US drug laws, they only sort of apply to you.
    What? Surely you aren't suggesting that white people don't go to jail for drug possession are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    What? Surely you aren't suggesting that white people don't go to jail for drug possession are you?
    Not like Black people they don't.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I'd argue that it's more about the nature of drug use/sales in inner city neighborhoods, what with open air drug sales and an ever looming police presence. Whereas in more suburban areas drug deals are typically made in private indoors or in cars, there is also less of a police presence.

Having an actual attorney (i.e. not a public defender) can help with avoiding jail time too, but that's a financial issue.

Anyway, the point is that you will still go to jail if you get caught with a large amount of drugs and/or are a repeat offender, regardless of race.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah yakkity schmakkity blah blahty blah and an ever looming police presence. Whereas blah blah blah blah blah blahblahblah blah blah blah blah blahditty blahblah blah blah blah there is also less of a police presence.
    I WONDER WHY THAT IS.

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Banned
    Dude, as long as its not something hard like cocaine white people don't get any drama from the fuzz. And if they do go to court they have better lawyers and get far less prison time even for coke or heroin. I know dozens of white kids who got caught by the fuzz and all got off scott free. Whereas 75% of black people went to court and then to the slammer.

In a country full of racism cops are like 10x as likely to be seriously racist and they have the power to enforce that shit. And that's besides them just using the okayness of racism to be generally violent and get away with illegal shit.

Did you beat the shit out of a suspect for no reason? If so are they black? If yes here is your commendation.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Dude, as long as its not something hard like cocaine white people don't get any drama from the fuzz.
    Funny you should mention cocaine.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Have you got like a list with material pertaining to US drug policies? :P
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

I WONDER WHY THAT IS.

10char
    It's certainly not because there is more crime in those areas.. =/

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Dude, as long as its not something hard like cocaine white people don't get any drama from the fuzz. And if they do go to court they have better lawyers and get far less prison time even for coke or heroin. I know dozens of white kids who got caught by the fuzz and all got off scott free. Whereas 75% of black people went to court and then to the slammer.

In a country full of racism cops are like 10x as likely to be seriously racist and they have the power to enforce that shit. And that's besides them just using the okayness of racism to be generally violent and get away with illegal shit.

Did you beat the shit out of a suspect for no reason? If so are they black? If yes here is your commendation.
    I'm not trying to say racism doesn't exist or that our justice system is without flaws. I'm just saying that there is more to those numbers Nalano linked than simple skin color. I suppose if you go back far enough in history it might all boil down to skin color as the reason why we have "ghettos" and other such business.

Being white certainly doesn't make you immune to jail, however. As far as "soft drugs" like marijuana are concerned, you are probably less likely to go to jail for that in PA if you are black since in Philadelphia possession of up to 30 grams is considered a summary offense (i.e. like a traffic ticket) whereas it's a misdemeanor in the rest of the state.

Around here cops are pretty much equal assholes to everyone. I've had cops beat me up and rob me, one even bashed in my knee with a baton.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    If it makes you feel any better, I was in Maine all weekend and read the Sat., Sun., & Mon. morning papers. This was not mentioned once.

Is it usual for the papers to mention politicians' shit-flinging? I mean, there's a lot of it, maybe even too much to be worth reporting on.

Obscure Node
    As the election season is approaching, the social game field is witnessing new politics-themed games emerging one after another in different forms like the match-3 Party Politics and the new simulator For The People.

Are you playing For The People? See if you share the same points made in this latest For The People review.

Banned
    I know right? The fact that an 18:1 disparity is a landmark is so embarrassing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I am now officially gay for that man.

vidya
    i'll be far too long dead before getting to live in space thanks to mooks like him :[
    did he seriously attribute what he'd learned as a scientist to a book you get for free in a motel? jesus christ indeed...
    Last edited by Memph; 10-10-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    i'll be far too long dead before getting to live in space thanks to mooks like him :[
    did he seriously attribute what he'd learned as a scientist to a book you get for free in a motel? jesus christ indeed...
    I think at some point he became "saved" I guess and rejected what he had previously learned as blasphemy.

The thing I have the hardest time wrapping my head around is how someone could be a medical doctor and deny embryology. I mean denying evolution is pretty stupid as well, but I digress.

Here is when you might want to kill yourself though: http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/20...committee?lite

Lesser Hivemind Node

Around here cops are pretty much equal assholes to everyone. I've had cops beat me up and rob me, one even bashed in my knee with a baton.
    How does that even happen?
    I can't imagine having to live in fear of the police, over here in Belgium the term 'public servant' actually has meaning. They don't harass people (not even brown people), they don't talk down (ever).
    They treat you like your baker or butcher would, as in they are there to serve you.

If a cop bashed in someone's knee over here or robbed them then it would be in the news for weeks and weeks.

If they stop you here your biggest concern is losing some money over a ticket, the thought of a gun pointed at you (let alone getting shot) would never come to mind, nor would the thought of getting beaten or dragged out of your car or getting arrested.

If I lived in a place where I had to be scared everytime a cop talked to me or pulled me over... I would move... to a place that didn't feel like it was under military law.