Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Merchandising of Donations - Big Trouble In Little Bundletown

It has come to my attention that most of the bundles are resembling the Humble one now, especially with added charities and stuff like that.

What. The. Shit.

I know its very obvious, but this is not a service theyre doing to indie games or game culture, its just a "new" money making plan, like the free to play ones.

Not that Im complaining that much, really, as I own my fair share of them, but by jove, should they stop talking about how good they are doing the community and such. Its business, fair and square. (nothing for or against that, I just like honesty)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Uhm...

What ARE you complaining about?

Indie games are getting exposure, developers are getting moneys, charities are getting moneys.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    I'm getting cheap games!

I think that is the important thing here.

I hate charities. Probably in general, but in this fashion, its more apparent than ever before.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I hate charities. Probably in general, but in this fashion, its more apparent than ever before.

Okay...

Damn them for offloading some of the profits to charity?
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    That's a pretty shit attitude to have. Never mind not giving to charity, that's no problem, but why would you specifically oppose the profits going to charity if it's, as you say, just a business transaction? You pay money, you get games. The charity is just a bonus, or in your case, an irrelevance.

No, its the main selling point for a lot of these.
    Essentially, theyre selling "help a dev!" for all bundles, and "help teh peoples OMG" in some/most.

Normally, I say "Whatever sells". But it seems a bit.. dishonest, even though it isnt.

Ah well.
    - Tom De Roeck.

I can't imagine how you could possibly interpret these bundles having charity as a main selling point when they sell you games. Lots of games. For cheap. Really really cheap.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    The thread title led me to believe the OP was going to be a good read.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    You know what else man?

Don't you just hate it when someone like Penny Arcade set up a charity!! I mean, gaw!! They're obviously just doing it to get exposure to make money for themselves. And then you get all these big companies like WoTC and Bioware throwing money at the charity just so they get some publicity. Who cares that sick little kids are getting a tiny ray of hope and sunshine and happiness in their life....

Yeah bro, f charity

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You know what else man?

Don't you just hate it when someone like Penny Arcade set up a charity!! I mean, gaw!! They're obviously just doing it to get exposure to make money for themselves. And then you get all these big companies like WoTC and Bioware throwing money at the charity just so they get some publicity. Who cares that sick little kids are getting a tiny ray of hope and sunshine and happiness in their life....

Yeah bro, f charity
    Aye, fuck the charity. I dont much care for the concept of it (charity in general). But thats not what my point is. And apparently, everyone seems to agree on "whatever helps charity!" must be satisfied.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Then please quanta, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I asked before, you said you hate charities.

But now it isn't about you hating charities?

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Then please quanta, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I asked before, you said you hate charities.

But now it isn't about you hating charities?
    the merchandising of it. goddamnit man, its in the title.

the bundles, are they about games or charities? are the charities fulfilling any other role than just gathering more people to buy it? (I dont think so)

Basically, its about something called "Zweckentfremdung" in German. And if theres a word for it in german, it must be something.
    - Tom De Roeck.

So you are angry that merchandise is being... merchandised?

And the charities are either going toward legal defense funds or to buy toys for sick children. The former being a necessary evil and the latter being pretty fucking good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'd like to point out that I'm thoroughly taking the piss in my last comment. I love charities and the warm and fuzzy feeling you get helping them.

Ever see the face of a child who gets brought christmas presents in hospitals on christmas day when they can't be at home with their families? If you hate charities after that then I hope you're never in the position to need the help of one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnox View Post
    I'm getting cheap games!

I think that is the important thing here.
    Yep! The bundles are awesome because of the price and the games. Charity shmarity, half of them are probably corrupt anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Ever see the face of a child who gets brought christmas presents in hospitals on christmas day when they can't be at home with their families? If you hate charities after that then I hope you're never in the position to need the help of one.
    you ever see a face of a drug addict getting a fix? how can anyone dislike drugs after that?

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BestFriends4Ever View Post
    you ever see a face of a drug addict getting a fix? how can anyone dislike drugs after that?
    That's just an stupid comparison.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    That's just an stupid comparison.
    It's not a comparison at all. It's an illustration of how a happy expression on a face doesn't necessarily guarantee a happiness in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by BestFriends4Ever View Post
    It's not a comparison at all. It's an illustration of how a happy expression on a face doesn't necessarily guarantee a happiness in the long term.
    Okay then. Please, enlighten us.

What are the long term dangers of giving sick children toys to play with while they are in a god damned hospital?