Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

"Little Wars" -- a game by H.G. Wells

Little Wars

(A Game for Boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty
    and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books)

"LITTLE WARS" is the game of kings—for players in an inferior social position. It can be played by boys of every age from twelve to one hundred and fifty—and even later if the limbs remain sufficiently supple—by girls of the better sort, and by a few rare and gifted women. This is to be a full History of Little Wars from its recorded and authenticated beginning until the present time, an account of how to make little warfare, and hints of the most priceless sort for the recumbent strategist....

This is a game that was linked in one of the Sunday Papers articles this week.

I never have been one for wargames, but Little Wars sounds like something I should like, being simple yet tactical, resolving ranged combat with player skill but melee combat with simple non-random maths, and also having an entertaining manual. The best thing I think is that the game starts with one of the players arranging the entire level, and the other player choosing starting positions (a pretty good use of the how-to-get-fair-slices-of-cake trick). I think a strategy game that gives one of the players say, 30 seconds to mold the battlefield with an editor, would be great -- a little level-design minigame to start with, resulting in more personalized and meaningful landscapes.

Thus, in order to make this not just a post about a 100-years-old giant-sized board game...does anyone have a recommendation for a good wargame (singleplayer or multiplayer, either which one) for someone to play who thinks Little Wars sounds like good fun? I don't know if that particular game has ever been electronified, but anything especially that lets the players be pre-game level designers would be fun to try, I think.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    A Game for Boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty
    and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books
    Haha, oh boy. You don't see taglines like that anymore these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    Haha, oh boy. You don't see taglines like that anymore these days.
    for 50% of a good reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    When I see H. G. Wells written I can't help but think of the Warehouse 13 variant. Television has broken my fragile mind.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/