Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Honestly, I've never modded the original and I enjoy it quite a bit, vinraith. But then again, I'm generally one for vanilla experiences in my older games.

Nope, bad advice. TFTD ramps up the difficulty significantly, and doesn't really do anything different except add multi-part terror missions which drag on for ages and are incredibly unforgiving due to the tight cruise ship layouts with no room to move. Um, and part of it is underwater I guess?

Yeah, I don't know really. I haven't played TFTD yet, so I was unsure. But okay then!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSmoth View Post
    Honestly, I've never modded the original and I enjoy it quite a bit, vinraith. But then again, I'm generally one for vanilla experiences in my older games.
    I'm mostly thinking fan patching, considering that bug list.

Obscure Node
    I am in the UK. I would like to play X-Com whenever it actually releases, on the 8th or 9th or whatever the hell it is now, instead of waiting for Friday.

How do I do this, barring the purchase of an airplane ticket?

I see no problem in obtaining it from a bunch of dastardly pirates if youve bought it already.

Atleast they dont care about internet waters that seem to separate us from our goods.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidBro View Post
    I am in the UK. I would like to play X-Com whenever it actually releases, on the 8th or 9th or whatever the hell it is now, instead of waiting for Friday.

How do I do this, barring the purchase of an airplane ticket?
    You could try something I overheard your friend Mr. Bird saying to your other friend Mr. Ear, something about VPNs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    You could try something I overheard your friend Mr. Bird saying to your other friend Mr. Ear, something about VPNs.
    Isn't that a little dodgy though? Don't want my steam account banned.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    OK, say I've been convinced to just try the original. What mods/tools do I need? XComUtil? Extender? What settings should I use? Is there a consensus on this stuff among fans?
    I prefer UFOextender, since many things it does better (for example show stats on inventory screen instead of creating statstrings in soldiers' names), and most important things (like soldier placement in craft, saving equipment configuration etc) are the same. Some other optional things (like world terrain randomisation - nice to have since there are some terrain types you may not even see once during your first playthrough) are only in XComUtil. In the end I think UFOextender is the one to have. Also start on the lowest difficulty for your first time. It is still very unforgiving.

(ps. If there is a way to have both someone please enlighten me, although I have tried and failed.)
    Last edited by Prokroustis; 06-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Isn't that a little dodgy though? Don't want my steam account banned.
    The steam SSA says this:

“You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.”

I wrote an annoyed article about this stuff when Borderlands 2 released, the consensus seems to be that Steam don't really give a damn unless you're using proxies to get region specific prices. Valve are pretty quiet on the matter, but the fact is it's still in the SSA so you're taking a risk. I've done it in the past, but I'm not willing to lose my Steam account by continuing to do so.
    Last edited by Jockie; 06-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Banned
    All I see in this thread are console playing cry babies who think they are the elite master gamers who can't learn how to be play a game unless it's spelled out to them in some thirty minute hand holding session. Despicable

Banned
    The original xcom was so good it left me scratching my head why there wasn't any good copycats for decades. I'm not sure many people would have the patience to get into it today though.
    Turn based tactical... jagged alliance 2 was good, not so many others
    Last edited by BenWah; 06-10-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Having a bad day, Patrick?

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    The steam SSA says this:

“You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.”

I wrote an annoyed article about this stuff when Borderlands 2 released, the consensus seems to be that Steam don't really give a damn unless you're using proxies to get region specific prices. Valve are pretty quiet on the matter, but the fact is it's still in the SSA so you're taking a risk. I've done it in the past, but I'm not willing to lose my Steam account by continuing to do so.
    Of course, it has its attendant risks. Isn't it absolutely insane when it's more dangerous to access your legitimately purchased product instead of pirating it?

Activated Node
    Apocalypse was the high point for me and I've played every X-com game other than interceptor. UFO & TFTD are freakin' amazing but Apocalypse with it's real time 'space to pause' micro management was the better tactical game. This won't be a common opinion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    All I see in this thread are console playing cry babies who think they are the elite master gamers who can't learn how to be play a game unless it's spelled out to them in some thirty minute hand holding session. Despicable
    Odd, I don't see any of those. You should really check the dosage on your medication.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Of course, it has its attendant risks. Isn't it absolutely insane when it's more dangerous to access your legitimately purchased product instead of pirating it?
    Exactly. This policy is anti-Gabe (at least in interviews). They are supposedly fighting piracy by giving better value (which does sound like rhetoric, I guess) but this is quite the opposite.

If you pay for the game, use a proxy just to get the game a tad early, you are threatened of being banned. If you pirate the game you will be (presumably) anonymously playing it. For that reason I believe it's probably an empty threat...if you want to test it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Yep.... Not even going to comment.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    The original xcom was so good it left me scratching my head why there wasn't any good copycats for decades.
    I don't know if XCOM was wildly popular back in the day... I mean it was obviously popular enough to get two sequels, but towards Apocalypse gaming was changing and moving into the FPS era, so it's not surprising that it was a casualty. Even then most of the remakes were bad, because they completely forgot what made XCOM great was the asymmetrical warfare aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Exactly. This policy is anti-Gabe (at least in interviews). They are supposedly fighting piracy by giving better value (which does sound like rhetoric, I guess) but this is quite the opposite.
    One thing I love about Valve is that they don't play this region bullshit. I got to buy The Orange Box at the same US price as the people in the US (which was slightly more expensive because our dollar was weaker but still $40AUD better than from a brick and mortar store) and it unlocked at the same time as the US.

In today's digital age these staggered release dates have little physical reason to exist, except to appease the physical stores I guess. XCOM isn't an MMO with server balancing issues or any technical reason to delay the release. I wish publishers wouldn't stop pulling this shit, or I wish Valve would set down a rule that if you distribute on Steam you play by their rules. Surely the platform is big enough and so deeply entrenched that pubs would take notice?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I don't know if XCOM was wildly popular back in the day... I mean it was obviously popular enough to get two sequels, but towards Apocalypse gaming was changing and moving into the FPS era, so it's not surprising that it was a casualty. Even then most of the remakes were bad, because they completely forgot what made XCOM great was the asymmetrical warfare aspect.

One thing I love about Valve is that they don't play this region bullshit. I got to buy The Orange Box at the same US price as the people in the US (which was slightly more expensive because our dollar was weaker but still $40AUD better than from a brick and mortar store) and it unlocked at the same time as the US.

In today's digital age these staggered release dates have little physical reason to exist, except to appease the physical stores I guess. XCOM isn't an MMO with server balancing issues or any technical reason to delay the release. I wish publishers wouldn't stop pulling this shit, or I wish Valve would set down a rule that if you distribute on Steam you play by their rules. Surely the platform is big enough and so deeply entrenched that pubs would take notice?
    You hit the nail on the head, it's because of retailers. Traditionally games release on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe. Blame the EU retailers, basically.

Since I've seen so many threads like this one over the years I've been online, I decided to make some YouTube videos to introduce people to the original X-COM and answer every question anyone could have. Only the first one is done, which covers the UI, but the next two (basic gameplay and what fixes/updates to use on a modern system) are coming soon. Instead of making Vinraith wait for part 3, I'll say that I think UFO Extender and XComUtil together go a long, long way towards smoothing out the few issues the original has. In any case, for those still struggling with the admittedly imposing UI, which is not awful so much as very intimidating and unlabeled, here is my first video:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, it's because of retailers. Traditionally games release on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe. Blame the EU retailers, basically.
    Can I just blame everyone instead? Because that's an awful lot easier and I'll hit the target anyway.