Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    @Tycho

That's enormously helpful, thank you.

Anything I should know about using XComUtil and Extender together? Compatibility issues? Conflicts?

Obscure Node
    After digging around, this is how they unlocked Borderlands 2 at the REAL release date: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/..._the/?sort=new

Same should work for x-com.

Quote Originally Posted by SectoidBro View Post
    After digging around, this is how they unlocked Borderlands 2 at the REAL release date: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/..._the/?sort=new

Same should work for x-com.
    +1 to you, sir.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, it's because of retailers. Traditionally games release on Tuesday in the US and Friday in Europe. Blame the EU retailers, basically.
    I can understand that games might sell better on certain days (though I would have thought Friday would universally be the the best day), but surely they must realise that they will probably lose sales because of piracy caused by regional releases?

but for the people not buying in brick & mortar stores, its a bad case of the "OMG INTERNET WATERS". I dont think people will go to piracy necessarily, but the thing is, whats stopping anyone from bridging the gap if they own it anyway. Its just a customer inconvenience, quite an unnecessary one. I mean, for the ex box I can understand it, but for PC? nuhuh.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I can understand that games might sell better on certain days (though I would have thought Friday would universally be the the best day), but surely they must realise that they will probably lose sales because of piracy caused by regional releases?
    I think it's a retailers threaten to not carry their games kind of thing. This is why we never really saw the deep discounts we were promised with digital distribution either.

I think it's a retailers threaten to not carry their games kind of thing. This is why we never really saw the deep discounts we were promised with digital distribution either.
    The sooner the industry realises that retailers are living on borrowed time the better. Look at what happened with EA and Game in the UK. As soon as consoles and internet connections can support digital distribution easily we can say goodbye to this bollocks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    This is why we never really saw the deep discounts we were promised with digital distribution either.
    Or in some cases, publishers just decided to screw everyone over, like they did here in Australia. When Steam first landed we got the US price, which was a fair bit cheaper than a brick and mortar store, but not by an awful lot because our dollar was weak. So plenty of publishers jacked up the price to "match" street price... by "match" I meant setting it at 89.95 USD to match 89.95 AUD in a store. Which, with the weaker dollar at the time, effectively made it a lot more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    As soon as consoles and internet connections can support digital distribution easily we can say goodbye to this bollocks.
    Consoles pretty much already do. As for internet connections... well, fair point, but perhaps we can swap to a system where people pay a few dollars extra or something for a pressed DVD version of the game content files to be shipped out. Even then, the publishers will no doubt play their games to get the last drop of cash out of us that they can. No doubt they'll justify absurd regional pricing by some other means.

Recently here in Australia major questions were asked about the cost of software even factoring in regional differences, particularly from outfits like Adobe and Lenovo. Their answers were "Oh yeah but... it's different" and they proceeded to do exactly what they've been doing since forever. And then the brick-and-mortar retailers, like that idiot Gerry Harvey from the overpriced Harvey Norman chain, bitches because we import stuff a lot cheaper and demands that it all be taxed.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Anything I should know about using XComUtil and Extender together? Compatibility issues? Conflicts?
    A quick google implies that XComUtil's setup program will detect Extender and ask if you want to use it (XCU messes with files, whilst Extender patches the program during runtime, so they are technically separate things)
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Can I just blame everyone instead? Because that's an awful lot easier and I'll hit the target anyway.
    I always blame my cat for everything. I get someone to blame, and she doesn't care, so it works out well for both of us. You can feel free to blame my cat for staggered releases, if you like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I always blame my cat for everything. I get someone to blame, and she doesn't care, so it works out well for both of us. You can feel free to blame my cat for staggered releases, if you like.
    I will accept such a generous offer. Blame is being deployed as we speak. All the best to your cat.