Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rock, Paper, Wildstar!

Hey guys the Wildstar NDA has now been lifted so I'm taking the opportunity to find out who is planning on picking it up for the June release.

I've been in several of the stress tests and weekend betas and will be pre-ordering it next Wednesday, as I've not has so much fun in an MMO since GW2 released.

Who among you will be joining me?
    (I'll be joining me!)

Which class was your favorite? (or if you've not played yet, which are you most interested in?)
    (I'll be playing a Medic as my main, but will probably end up playing most of them at some point or other as I found they are all rather fun.)

Which Path was your favorite? (or if you've not played yet, which are you most interested in?)
    (I'll be playing a Settler, after trying them all out I found the Settler was the most useful for me, being able to build the buff stations, mailboxes, taxis etc. and the summoning a vendorbot while out adventuring was really very useful.)

Which faction do you prefer?
    (Exiles are the faction for me, I preferred both the starting zones and the race selection over the Dominion. Also playing the underdog is always appealing to me. /spit @ Dominion )

Any interesting tales of 'Danger and Excitement' you feel like sharing?
    (Just a quick one before I head off to work, but there is nothing quite the feeling you get running past a bloody great rock, only to see it uproot itself and see it's really a giant rock lizard (I forget their actual name) intent on your destruction!)

Hopefully we can get a Guild up and running if there's not one already. I'm looking forward to the rest of the beta weekends leading up to release, hopefully I'll see you guys on Nexus!

But how much value is being put on player built stuff, and how much freedom is there? because if theres grinding involved in order to get necessary stuff, Im definitely out. (Ive already got one of those, and its making me want to throw it and the computer its on out of an airlock)
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quietly waiting for Wildstar, haven't been interested in spoiling it for me. The June launch date fits perfectly with my year's planning, so I'll most likely be around either then or a few weeks after launch.

Exiles sounds perfect for me, and since I'm a lore-hogger, the Scientist path is most appealing to me.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    But how much value is being put on player built stuff, and how much freedom is there? because if theres grinding involved in order to get necessary stuff, Im definitely out. (Ive already got one of those, and its making me want to throw it and the computer its on out of an airlock)
    No grinding involved at all really, there are different resources for each zone and you'll find them lying all over the map as you're questing. (Only the Settler gets to pick them up)

In the various quest hubs and other little camps/outposts and sometimes just a busy crossroad there are Settler stations that allow you build certain stations that give you buffs (XP, Shield Power, Run Speed etc.). Along with useful stuff like the Taxi stations (fast travel between different outposts), Skill Terminals (so you don't have to head back to the main quest hubs to train skills or respec your AMPS) you can also help to build larger projects, sometimes they are just additional buildings to quest hubs like a prison or a medical center.

As for freedom, well you can only build certain things at certain locations, so not all of them will allow you build an XP buff station but you will be able to build a run speed station instead.
    Saying building them makes it sound a bit more involved than it is though, it's simply gather the resources as you run around and then select the stations you want to build and then they pop up for everyone to use. They are all on timers as well, so they will only last a certain amount of time once you've built them. However other Settlers can use their resources to increase the time they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Quietly waiting for Wildstar, haven't been interested in spoiling it for me. The June launch date fits perfectly with my year's planning, so I'll most likely be around either then or a few weeks after launch.

Exiles sounds perfect for me, and since I'm a lore-hogger, the Scientist path is most appealing to me.
    Cool, well hope to see you on Nexus in June! :D

If you like lore, you will certainly have your fill in Wildstar, the amount of effort they have put into fleshing out the world is astounding. I spent a long time just sat there reading through all the lore I'd discovered and I spent most of time as a Settler. I can't imagine how much would be more readily available to a Scientist.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I'll be playing day one most likely. Been in since winter beta. Quite like the game, but it has a long ways to go for combat polish, which is my number one concern. First of all they need to add a locked mouse look option with m1 and m2 being used for abilities as an option in the game. Using external scripts and ui mods that fix this makes the game a hundred times better.

The beta has always been quite laggy for me as well (it being on US servers and all), which makes it kind of hard to determine how combat flows. But I dig it and it has potential. For me, combat is 90% of a game (if it is centered around shooting or hacking mans), and so far I like the vision, but the execution is not there yet. For example the warrior is a clunkfest that just doesn't flow.

Other then combat, the lore, graphics, effects, animations, sounds, general worldbuilding, quest structure, professions, events, well, basically everything, is very, very well made. It's fantastic and very charming. The lore is actually quite interesting, and I've laughed at every MMO's attempt at lore and storytelling except WoW (only MMO that ever did it well, if you pay attention).
    Find me on the Steams

Network Hub
    I may well give it a go, I was enjoying the beta alot... I think I'll be playing an Esper and probably load it out mainly as a dps/support class. Loved some of the Esper skills, very cool.

Exiles as well, I found the dominion boring and really cliche, their starting area seemed dull, long and less "streamlined" than the Exiles.

I'm EU based (UK) so I'll be playing on the EU side.

Not sure on path yet, I think either Settler, Explorer or Soldier.

For those that are interested in trying out Wildstar I have a spare weekend beta key for this weekend. It's open from 3pm GMT tomorrow until 8am Monday morning.

If you're interested post here and I'll pick a random person to get the key. Entries will close at 10am tomorrow so that people have a fair chance to grab the key and still have time to download the client.

If no one replies stating their interest then I'll just post the key here tomorrow at around 10am and whoever comes across it first can have it.

Cheers

Network Hub
    Do we need to work out a Server we should all roll on in release?

I mostly played the dominion as well, but yeah, cliche evil dudes. I think I dig the exiles more. Are servers out yet? If so we should iron out a release one, yeah.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm umming and ahhing about picking this one up, if that Key is still going Carpe_Dentum I'd love to give it a try out :-)
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

Network Hub
    Exiles are all for me so that sounds great.

Where are people buying it from? I looked on Amazon (UK) and it didn't mention the early headstart stuff and said it'd be shipped the day of release which had me a bit worried.

Sarigs I sent you the key, check your PMs.

As for the server, as far as I'm aware they haven't released anything about the EU servers yet. They are still running all the betas on the US ones right now.

As soon as they release the server names we should stick up a poll or just list the ones we like the sound of and go from there. :D

DenieD, I just bought mine straight from the official site, I've heard that people have not received any keys for the betas from Amazon. There was a tweet from the community staff saying they were in talks with them. Not sure what the outcome (if any) was though.

If you have no problem with just buying digital I would go with buying from the official site, I got my email from them within a few minutes and activated my account etc with no issues, so I have access to all the beta weekends now. :D (Although I will need to tear myself away from Titanfall to actually play it..)
    Last edited by Carpe_Dentum; 21-03-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Ideally, I'd love to play on a server that's been designated as some kind of RP community - these people are usually much more fun to group with! ;)
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Hi all !

I am considering pre ordering this to test it... but given how I've not enjoyed GW2 as much as i wanted to, and both Rift and SW disapointed me, It's probably not the smartest move. But this one seems interesting.

Does anyone still have a spare key for the beta Week end ?

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I've also been in stress tests, and preordered on Wednesday. A bit disappointed about the level cap in beta weekends, but oh well. Gives me a chance to try out all the classes instead of just the engineer that I liked most from early level impressions.

Since I prefer tanking, I'll still probably end up with an engineer main. The warrior feels a bit clunky to me, and stalker is... I don't know, rogue-types never really appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    I'll be playing day one most likely. Been in since winter beta. Quite like the game, but it has a long ways to go for combat polish, which is my number one concern. First of all they need to add a locked mouse look option with m1 and m2 being used for abilities as an option in the game. Using external scripts and ui mods that fix this makes the game a hundred times better.
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Wildstar combat works better than eg. Neverwinter that uses that system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    That sounds like a terrible idea. Wildstar combat works better than eg. Neverwinter that uses that system.
    Key word option. I think Neverwinters control scheme works better, even though the combat is a lot worse of course. I just want the option, and it is coming as far as I know, but it won't be the standard.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    There is a mod for it, taken over by a player after Carbine dropped the idea.

They dropped the mod, yes. Took too much dev time or something? The player took over the mod and added functions, but it still only adds locked mouse control. I think it's planned to add the keys. You need to use auto hotkey scripts to get m1 and m2 to work as ability keys right now, which is a hassle.

I don't really care if Carbine adds it or if a modder does, I just want it. The mouse lock adds a lot since you wont get RSI from constantly holding down right mouse, but if they could make mouse keys useable as well that would be swell.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hi guys!Wanted to say thanks for the key Carpe_Dentum had a great time running around and the game is plenty of fun, certainly enough to catch my interest. Just need to decide now if I have enough spare time to crowbar this into my life before I pull the trigger ;-)
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    Hi guys!Wanted to say thanks for the key Carpe_Dentum had a great time running around and the game is plenty of fun, certainly enough to catch my interest. Just need to decide now if I have enough spare time to crowbar this into my life before I pull the trigger ;-)
    No worries, glad you enjoyed it! The question shouldn't be how much spare time you have to play.
    the really serious questions you need to ask yourself are.
    How many friends am I going to lose, because I've forgotten they exist?
    How many family members birthdays will I forgot about?
    How long will it take my employer to fire my addicted arse for not turning up to work?

Those are the important questions and still they matter not a jot! ;D