Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rock, Paper, Secret Santa 2014

Hello everyone,
    we had an internal Secret Santa some years ago within the RPS Steam group and I thought to myself, why not organize a new one?

How does it work
    1. You sign up.
    2. You will be randomly paired up with another person.
    3. You purchase a gift for that other person and vice versa.
    4. You feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

How does it work, exactly
    • We will do this via Steam. It doesn't really do gift-wrappings but it will tell you if the other participant already owns the game. It's not ideal but it will do.
    • I am currently experimenting with a couple of online Secret Santa organizers so I don't have to do it manually.
    • The sum for the present should be about 10/$/. You can also buy two or more games if it fits.
    • Avoid risque (i.e. sexual) or joke games unless you know your partner really does appreciate it.
    • Steam does have a wishlist. Look at your partner's and update your own.

Important: Do not sign up if you don't know if you can afford it. I suppose I can't issue any kind of binding legal contract so this will be all based on trust. If you have to drop out please inform me well in advance. I will compensate any losses with my own resources, to a limited degree. Personally I will only join the Secret Santa if the number of participants is uneven.
    Also, I will only run this if at least 10 people sign up. Otherwise it just doesn't seem appropriate.

Last day to sign up is December 1st and I figured the day of gift exchange will be the 23rd.

PS: Don't abbreviate Secret Santa as SS, it looks weird.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Neat, I've done things like this before and can attest to the fuzzy feelings. If we limit this to active members of the community (either by post count or just join date before the time this thread has been created) you can count me in. Bring on the holiday spirit.
    Forum janitor in training.

I also want to sign up *o*

Also, as for abbreviations, SeSa? Or SecSan. or SexSan, for a japanese hentai feel.

The steam thing is good but not ideal. I own some games on Gog but not on steam. Then again, I can't think of a better way anyway, and I guess this'll work for the majority at least.

If you trust someone enough to potentially miss out on the game it doesn't make a huge difference to make a platform/seller switch I guess. Or was this supposed to happen in the Steam trade window?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'll sign up.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    If you trust someone enough to potentially miss out on the game it doesn't make a huge difference to make a platform/seller switch I guess. Or was this supposed to happen in the Steam trade window?
    That's not what i meant, but to answer your question, I think that we're at least supposed to use our partner's steam profile to look at their library (what they have and they don't have). I don't think we're forced to use the steam gift thing, as opposed to, e.g. an humble link.

I meant that, for instance, I own the Cat Lady on Gog, but if you look at my steam account I don't actually have it there, and I may get it gifted Really, it's an inconsequential issue, since it's not about getting games as much as it is about being nice to each other and feeling fuzzy ourselves. Plus, I don't think there's an adequate solution out of asking directly before buying, which would kinda ruin it.

Hence the wishlist. I haven't checked that thing for ages, hopefully there is something nice in that 10 segment. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Hence the wishlist. I haven't checked that thing for ages, hopefully there is something nice in that 10€ segment. :3
    With the Steam Xmas sale (and probably every other store's), there won't be too much above that price =)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Count me in.

Thanks for organizing this event.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I don't know exactly where to post this, so please don't drope the banhamer on my poor head for yet another OT: that announcement, with a little more work, might turn into a useful beginner's guide to the forums.

Sorry for the disruption, gl;hf all for the Secret Santa.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I'm in, where do I sign?
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow ; Elite: Emmett Lazlo ; Steam: ​RobDollar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Personally I will only join the Secret Santa if the number of participants is uneven.
    Just as an FYI there's no need I can see to organize it such that people must be paired up. When I've done things like this it's just a matter of picking names out of a hat; that way it doesn't matter if the number of participants is odd or even. Everyone buys something and every receives something. Maybe there will be pairs and maybe there won't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Ditto on the pair thing - random name from a hat will do. Signing up for this like a boss...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Activated Node
    I'm definitely in - sounds like fun :)

I'm up for this.

Longtime lurker checking in, I'm up for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Longtime lurker checking in, I'm up for this too.
    Excellent avatar.

Hello everyone! I hope this should work as a sign-up link, please try it out: http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/13416977/33f127/
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Excellent avatar.
    Cheers dude.

Yeah, the signup worked, I added my Steam URL as my "blog URL" in my profile, might be the easiest way of sharing it? Think it will be visible to others when they click on your profile.

I will put my name forward but I would like to make a small amendment. Rather than a game on my wishlist I would prefer to receive a random game which the giver thinks is worthy for whatever reason. If I just get something from my wishlist then there is little in the way of suprise which takes away much of the appeal, for me at least.l and it is a secret santa ;)

There is always the risk of getting something I dont like or already own but its only 10 after all.
    Last edited by palindrome; 25-11-2014 at 12:12 PM.