Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    plays dwarf fortress without tilesets

I hate the term hardcore players. There are people who play games for fun, some play it competitively and in that group some people earn money with it.

I have a car. I use my car to go to work and do other things as well. Am I a hardcore driver???

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spcd View Post
    I hate the term hardcore players. There are people who play games for fun, some play it competitively and in that group some people earn money with it.

I have a car. I use my car to go to work and do other things as well. Am I a hardcore driver???
    Hardcore isn't really a term used positively outside of gaming. Going off your car example, if you raced cars at the track (or street) on the weekends you would be an amateur racer or racing enthusiast.

There really aren't any analogies that apply to this topic honestly, at least not that use the term "hardcore".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Isn't "Hardcore" equals "Elitist"?

Activated Node
    most of time its used for people who call themselfs "hardcore" to differentiate them from another group of players. The sad part is that these people are not better, its just a very desperate move to get some actual satisfaction from a game.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    If you think you're hardcore, you are. If anyone else thinks you are hardcore, then you are. Do these conditions make you happy? Then do what makes you happy.

It's a meaningless term, with little practical application except to exclude anyone one chooses on largely arbitrary grounds. My goodness you lot like to spend an ungodly amount of time arguing over the definitions of terms with loose subjective meanings.

OK, time for this curmudgeon to go to bed before I start yelling about the kids on my lawn.
    This is the only thing in this thread I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    most of time its used for people who call themselfs "hardcore" to differentiate them from another group of players. The sad part is that these people are not better, its just a very desperate move to get some actual satisfaction from a game.
    This sounds like one of those typical "anyone who is better than me lives in their mom's basement, is an elitist jerk, and has no life." and "anyone who is worse than me is a noob with no skill" type of statements to me. Don't be one of those people.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    This sounds like one of those typical "anyone who is better than me lives in their mom's basement, is an elitist jerk, and has no life." and "anyone who is worse than me is a noob with no skill" type of statements to me. Don't be one of those people.
    you just made my point. thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I tend to think of hardcore as commitment to one particular title. When I get into a game, like I have recently with Dark Souls I'll tend to dig deep on it (I've clocked over 200+ hours on it so far), but a lot of that time is spent exploring the mechanics/environments and trying out different things (play one class for a few hours, then restart and play another) rather than necessarily replaying the game through and through and learning it backwards. The people who do that I tend to view as hardcore, where as myself I'd describe more as a gaming enthusiast, despite the hours I'll put into them.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    you just made my point. thanks.
    No, I really didn't.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Pretty sure it's when they show full penetration.

'Hardcore', at least in relation to video games, for me mostly is just a stupid, hollow attribution used to arbitrarely categorize people. It's a marketing term, made up by people who think in demographics and target-audiences and who are generally obesessed with categorizing human beings into groups to make it easier for them to advertise their stupid products.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritashi View Post
    I'm sure that all those professionals who make a living playing games will just "grow out of it" eventually.
    More they'll be forced out of it, as much like the other industry where 'hardcore' is often used, there's a time-limit on it. In this case, your reaction speed drops, your endurance drops, and so on.

A hardcore player does like this guy, only uses the name of his preferred title or the word 'hardcore' itself.

I've always felt that this is Hardcore...

Actually, taking the definition to be "An intractable core or nucleus of a group or society, especially one that is stubbornly resistant to improvement or change", then you could likely label half the people that comment here with it.
    Last edited by Unaco; 07-10-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    If you spent majority of your free time doing x(and/or talking/writing about x), you are hardcore x-er.

Activated Node
    Actually, he is right in the sense that "hardcore" is a typical descriptive name for someone who does want to put people in groups related to relative worth. If you derive pleasure or selfworth from putting yourself on another level as someone else, then yes, he has a point.

Myself, I give a rat's arse what someone calls themselves or me. I play my games and enjoy them (or not). Do I need a description in which way I play certain games? Not really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    Pretty sure it's when they show full penetration.

?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mineralised osseous tissue. Unless of course the player is a jellyfish or similar.

Hardcore gamers play these