Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Network Hub
    OK, thanks. I guess the 7870 will probably be 'current' enough to run things reasonably well for at leasr 2-3 years anyway. We'll see, cheers!

Network Hub
    FYI, I went with an almost exact replica of Sakkura's suggestion, as it seemed a good buy, but then went silly and flogged a few things on ebay to justify bumping up to a 670, which I did some further reading about. Reckon it's going to serve me for a good few years now, lovely. Thanks again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I bought this yesterday, which is over your budget but not hugley so and should do for a while:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast...Hurricane.html

I was originally looking at this however. It should manage most things very well for the next few years I would have thought, and is in your budget:

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Elixir.html

I bought my last PC from them and it was superbly built and put together, lasted me five years more or less to the day. You also get a two year collect and return warranty as standard with them, often you have to pay at least 100 for that.

As mentioned above you'll probably have to choose if you want overclocked CPU or 660 as 660 is a mid-high range card and 600 is not a mid-high range pc budget.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    That second build has a crap PSU as standard, but at least you can customize it and get something decent. They're forced to stick a budget graphics card in there though, to make room in the budget for an overclockable CPU and a Windows license, so it's going to perform a lot worse than a homebuilt system out of the box.

The one you bought is more balanced, though I still dislike a few aspects of it. Slow RAM in particular... RAM is so cheap it's silly to skimp on it. And they demand 19 for upgrading to DDR3-1600 lol. Nice little scam.

I’ve been playing on a Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz and a Radeon 4890 for three years and that could play pretty much everything well to my eyes. I won’t notice discrepancies in RAM or what have you, this thing kills the system I’ve been happy with for three years. I’m sure if you’re gaming for hours a day it might be notable but not for me : )

I wouldn't call it a scam, I'd say they were making money because they're a business. That's fair enough. They are exemplary where it counts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The RAM difference isn't something anyone would notice without running benchmarks. It's just a silly decision to make, because the actual price difference is maybe 3, and that's at retail. That they then extort 19 out of people to correct it is definitely not what I would call fair.

Still, the system looks fine in general. These are just little niggles that demonstrate why DIY is worth it beyond just saving a bit of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The RAM difference isn't something anyone would notice without running benchmarks. It's just a silly decision to make, because the actual price difference is maybe 3, and that's at retail. That they then extort 19 out of people to correct it is definitely not what I would call fair.

Still, the system looks fine in general. These are just little niggles that demonstrate why DIY is worth it beyond just saving a bit of cash.
    I would definitely build my own system if I had the time and confidence/wasn't inept, no arguments there