Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar

The Tiki: A PC that even Apple fans appreciate (are jealuos of)

The Falcon Northwest Tiki is a revelation: a watercooled, factory overclocked, enthusiast PC that's roughly the size of a fat Playstation 3

http://www.falcon-nw.com/desktops/tiki

Making of (a lot of inspiration here for the DIY PC crowd):
    http://www.tomshardware.com/pictures...-mini-itx.html

An unboxing video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_5JzRZnSs

A short review:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/review-fa...ctor-gaming-pc

I was shocked by the amount of stuff crammed into this HTPC when I first heard about it. Was sure that the cpu or gpu were underclocked to keep noise/heat down, but everything's running at full blast - even overclocked in the case of the cpu. I laboured for a few years on a machine I thought was tiny: yet it's double this system's size in height!! Incredible workmanship. Too bad the case aone is not available for sale, the price tag on this thing screams "concept piece".
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

I'm no Apple fan, and that case design is horredous (sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    I'm no Apple fan, and that case design is horredous (sorry).
    Case design is a matter of taste. The case's engineering is brilliant though, if you don't see that then you don't know much about computers (no offense).
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Eh... Nothing wrong with a regular box with 14 inch fans that spin at sub audible frequency and a passive gpu/cpu, super quiet, mainstream parts, cheap. Can be pretty too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    1600$

BAHAHAHAHHA nope

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Eh... Nothing wrong with a regular box with 14 inch fans that spin at sub audible frequency and a passive gpu/cpu, super quiet, mainstream parts, cheap. Can be pretty too.
    can that cheap pc:
    fit in a tv cabinet? a small wall shelf? under a coffee table?
    Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    1600$

BAHAHAHAHHA nope
    hence why it's unfortunate that the case alone is not being sold :)
    On the other hand... *calculates for 3 minutes* my HTPC cost me $3465 if I include the cost of the custom watercooling ($407), case machining mods ($105) and that infamous intel 160GB SSD ($570) ... so $1600 is actually a pretty good bargain for a gaming HTPC!
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    And what edge do you exactly get from a $1000 PC with 3750 and 660Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    And what edge do you exactly get from a $1000 PC with 3750 and 660Ti?
    Not sure what your question is. There are some people out there who need to have small devices in their living space. The kind of people interested in this would not be shocked by a $2000 price tag, they probably spent more than that on a laptop.
    Point is, this is the only PC with this form factor that has a) an overclocked quad core cpu and b) can take a 30cm gtx690 graphics card.
    Steam profile

To be honest, if I had enough money to buy this thing, I should have enough money to rent an apartment which can easily house a PC 3-4x the size, or get a laptop. You will still need space for keyboard, mousepad and display (or TV), so style definitely trumps substance here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    To be honest, if I had enough money to buy this thing, I should have enough money to rent an apartment which can easily house a PC 3-4x the size, ...
    "i'll live in a BIG apartment with furniture 4x the normal size so my big ass ricer PC can fit in nicely!"
    lol, that's not how people think.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    can that cheap pc:
    fit in a tv cabinet? a small wall shelf? under a coffee table?
    That's a pretty high premium to pay to shove it under a coffee table.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    That's a pretty high premium to pay to shove it under a coffee table.
    coffee table doesn't make sense, but an htpc is required to fit under a tv or an amp.

I personally spent $2500 on watercooling hardware over 5 years (not to mention the amount of time spent on revising mods) to get an HTPC with an internal water cooling loop that can handle something like a heavily overclocked core i7 3930k. If I had the option of buying a ready made HTPC and paying only a $500 premium over the $2500 spent, saving 100s of hours in the process, I would have taken that option without a second thought.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Sure, it's a cool gadget. I'll never buy one though, unless I win the lottery once or twice. Smaller's nice, but not nice enough to justify that price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Sure, it's a cool gadget. I'll never buy one though, unless I win the lottery once or twice. Smaller's nice, but not nice enough to justify that price tag.
    who cares? I'm not buying one either. The case is a great piece of engineering that needs to be made more widely available in the PC market (read: mass market affordable). If you think about it, size is almost the only area where a console trumps PC, all the other user experience areas have eroded in the console space (performance? please. Load disc and play? install required. games just work? patch to be released soon. stability? RRoD, please buy our next console revision.). Would be nice to have an affordable mid range PC that isn't the size of a small fridge.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I can appreciate that it's a nice piece of design... but for that price it's not remotely worth it, and without compromising on performance or cooling I don't know how you're going to keep cutting it down. Plus having a box where you can't effectively upgrade the most critical components is useless in gaming unless it's a laptop with a decent screen - unlike the consoles we need to upgrade to keep pace, even if that pace has slowed down quite a lot. To prove that point - hypothetically an Xbox 360 that was released back in 2006 could still play games today, but back in 2006 I had a Core2Duo with 2GB of RAM and a 6600GT or something. None of that would be much use in games today (at high resolutions or anything to exceed a console for the most part). Or for a less realistic example take a PS3 from release and it'd still perform while my PC from the same era wouldn't be so good.

Sorry, but as nice as this is from a design perspective, there's nothing much else to appreciate here.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    ... Plus having a box where you can't effectively upgrade the most critical components is useless ...
    you can upgrade:
    the motherboard (itx)
    the cpu
    the ram
    the graphics card
    the hard disks
    the optical drive
    the PSU

What are you going on about exactly?
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Er, I should have clarified, sorry I was trying to do two things at once. What I meant was you're quite restricted in your upgrade paths because of the ITX form factor. Basically you're paying for a fancy case with limited upgrade paths for a form factor not suited to high performance components. You might as well... you know, built something yourself and get it for a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Er, I should have clarified, sorry I was trying to do two things at once. What I meant was you're quite restricted in your upgrade paths because of the ITX form factor. Basically you're paying for a fancy case with limited upgrade paths for a form factor not suited to high performance components. You might as well... you know, built something yourself and get it for a lot cheaper.
    ok, that makes more sense. I'm in that camp, my HTPC was designed to take full length components (ATX motherboard, extended PSU, extended graphics card (up to 39cm), up to 4 slots, as well as a thick radiator, a huge pump and thick 1/2" tubing) but with the caveat that it can't be described as "small". My HTPC is compact for sure, equivalent to a 4U rackmount PC (which is smaller than a Mac Pro), but it's still twice the size of some HTPCs.
    Then again, itx is becoming quite popular nowadays, especially for people who want specific kinds of machines and don't mind losing expansion bays. So for a certain segment upgrading the cpu, motherboard, ram and graphics card is more than enough.

This machine for example is small enough to be mounted behind a car's boot carpeting yet it is vastly superior in features and performance to a bluray/media player or console. I'm sure there are many such examples where size would make an impact for some people.
    Last edited by mashakos; 30-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    "i'll live in a BIG apartment with furniture 4x the normal size so my big ass ricer PC can fit in nicely!"
    lol, that's not how people think.
    If you put this thing on your coffee table, where are you going to put the display + keyboard + mouse? Sure, you can buy a small keyboard and laptop mouse, and it's all going to fit onto a very small desk if you're a person with a big disposable income living in a tiny apartment, but try gaming with a laptop mouse. If you're not going to game or do PC-taxing work with it, why would you buy such an expensive PC instead of the eee variant?