Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post

First impressions that I've heard from non PR monkeys (normal people) is that the stealth is not comparable to Thief at all.
    No light/shadows based stealth or anything good like that.

MW2 game 'its biggest problem is that it's almost too good'
    You can hide in the shadows but guards will notice you if you're close. Just like in real life.
    I think the "almost too good" game was Gears 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Trying to make up for all the OMG DISHONORED BY THAT ONE GUY WHO ONCE DID THAT OTHER THING AND THOSE OTHER GUYS? OMG PREORDERED 7 COPIES
    Who gives a shit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Trying to make up for all the OMG DISHONORED BY THAT ONE GUY WHO ONCE DID THAT OTHER THING AND THOSE OTHER GUYS? OMG PREORDERED 7 COPIES
    Lay off the coffee
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Banned
    I don't drink coffee.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Puppy tears, no doubt.

I don't drink coffee.
    You don't drink coffee? Oh my. I drink coffee and I really look forward to trying the game.

Network Hub
    I've read some good reviews on this game. With X-Com coming out same though and a strong addiction to borderlands2, I might have to wait for Steam Winter deals before I manage to pick this game up.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Puppy tears, no doubt.
    Vinegar I'd hazard. It's the only thing that could account for the unending bitterness.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post
    I've read some good reviews on this game. With X-Com coming out same though and a strong addiction to borderlands2, I might have to wait for Steam Winter deals before I manage to pick this game up.
    Agree. I'm not 100% sure I can wait that long, but I am certain that if Dishonored gets a discount come Christmastime, it will clean up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Arkane talked about the decision to drop a light-based stealth system here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ealth-mechanic

Well, that's a horrifying look inside your mind.

(Somewhere in the darkness, Mohorovicic sniffs the air. What's that, on the breeze? The sickening stench of someone being positive about a videogame? He readies his keyboard with a grim shake of the head. Not tonight.)
    Last edited by JackShandy; 09-10-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Looks really good, but I already have a pretty nice backlog of games I want to play and there are no particular pre-order incentives I care about (I already own Arx three times over :p), so I'll probably end up grabbing this during the next Steam sale.

And I am glad that they got rid of the light gem. I always found Thief stealth to be somewhat artificial because of it. Obviously it wasn't really doable back then (still isn't, really), but line of sight stealth is MUCH more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Vinegar I'd hazard. It's the only thing that could account for the unending bitterness.
    Lay's ketchup flavored potato chips are WAY too vinegary. It saddens me
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Looks really good, but I already have a pretty nice backlog of games I want to play and there are no particular pre-order incentives I care about (I already own Arx three times over :p), so I'll probably end up grabbing this during the next Steam sale.

And I am glad that they got rid of the light gem. I always found Thief stealth to be somewhat artificial because of it. Obviously it wasn't really doable back then (still isn't, really), but line of sight stealth is MUCH more fun.
    There was line of sight. Guys would detect you easier if they were staring straight at you. The light gem just indicated how much light was on you.

Banned
    A Dishonored defense article? Already?

I appreciate it's not Gillen this time(though I would also appreciate if it was, for the completeness sake) but good lord, RPS masters, at least let us try and play the game to make some complaints first! Us lowly non-gaming journalism life forms are bound by release dates. And things like, jobs or school.

Yeah, it's dumb. I don't understand how's that indicative of the game's quality, though. RPS' critical output has been terrible for a long time now (unless it's Rossignol's name in the byline, with several notable exceptions), and Meer in particular has a habit for arguing from very dubious premises.

But the important thing to remember is that the game is developed by Harvey Smith, and it's impossible to reduce this fact to an ironic statement about whoever you were trying to parody in that post of yours. He's the guy who gets immersive simulation (by being partially responsible for the pinnacle of that genre) and he had a big budget and a fair amount of freedom to make the game he wants. Bethesda meant silly marketing campaign and good scores for this game, but that's as far as it could reach, really.

It's still natural to remain sceptical in these circumstances. I just don't see how you cannot be at least a little bit excited about Dishonoured.

Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    Well, that's a horrifying look inside your mind.

(Somewhere in the darkness, Mohorovicic sniffs the air. What's that, on the breeze? The sickening stench of someone being positive about a videogame? He readies his keyboard with a grim shake of the head. Not tonight.)
    *chortles*

I think he's one of those people who believes that being negative makes him come across as deep and meaningful.

Probable Replicant

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I like the part where me stating that hype from reviews is not a valid metric to judge the quality of a game by, and that it's probably wise to wait and see what friends/gamers think (as is always the case), immediately got interpreted as me hating on the game (and for the sake of hating on games to boot).

I haven't said a single bad thing about the game other than the animations sucking (they do), saying that the stealth is not shadow based is not bashing anything (which is a good thing to point out for those expecting thief 2012, else you get the inevitable "I bought it because people said it was like thief").

You see the same hype cycle for every new big release, to the point that it cheapens any valid positive opinions that might emerge about a genuinly good release. My wording should only be offensive to those who are desperate to get excited for each new game that gets a lot of hype.

And yes that includes all the review sites linked in the OP, they are hardly critical of B grade "AAA" games, so I'm going to meet their praise with cynicism.

Oh shame on me for wanting to wait for an objective view of something I'm interested in buying, the audacity.
    Last edited by Finicky; 09-10-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Oh shame on me for wanting to wait for an objective view of something I'm interested in buying, the audacity.
    Who are you talking to?

Ofcourse its GOTY contender. i have been hyping it since first reveal. Cant wait to play

in a age where lot of games are QTE fest linear scripted game. this game is must own.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    Why? Care to elaborate? To me LOS-stealth taking into account sounds makes a lot of sense. More than a light-meter.
    Well, sense isn't interesting to me at all. I've only ever enjoying light-based stealth games.

With light-based stealth, things move at your pace. You're in control. You can watch the little rats scurrying here and there on their patrols, but they can't see you, they can't find you. You're on the outside peering in, the ultimate voyeur, but here at last you are also in control. This sings out to the video game nerd, who goes through life as if in his own personal patch of shadows. Here at last, this social construct designed to exclude us from society is inverted, and we gain all the benefits. What's the best part of Thief? Not the blackjacking, not the stealing. It's standing right next to two guards having a conversation about you. The ultimate voyeur. And isn't it beautiful that Garrett is perhaps the weakest FPS protagonist ever, but is also the most powerful? Hell, the lore of Thief has the Keepers possessing not magical powers, just the knack of making everyone ignoring them. They're elevated being a social misfit to an art form.

Line of sight based stealth, on the other hand, leaves you entirely at the mercy of the guards and their patrols. You move at their pace. You go where they allow you. You step in time to their march or you die. It's stressful, it grinds you down, until you're dancing to the whirr-whirr-whirr of the modern corporate machine. There's no freedom here, just the demand of mainstream society: conform or perish.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.