Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 173 of 173
  1. #161
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    The usual question, is the DLC even worth it? It rarely is, in my experience.
    According to RPS, yes. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...gmore-witches/

    Already picked up the game and Knife of Dunwall for relatively cheap, haven't played the DLC yet tho. Ah well, GOTY would have been nice but I don't feel at all bad about paying a bit more.

  2. #162
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    769
    RPS IS NOT AN ORACLE

    oh okay, it is, nvm

  3. #163
    Knife of Dunwall is definitely worth it. Haven't played the latest DLC yet, but I'm waiting for a good sale to get it.

  4. #164
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    875
    Brigmore Witches is excellent but it won't make sense without Knife Of Dunwall so yes, grab them both. They're both great but Brigmore makes so much more of Dishonored than you'd expect and some of the environmental work is stunning.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  5. #165
    I've only played Knife, but: Do you like Dishonored? The DLC is more Dishonored. Is this not excellent news? Though, as far as Knife goes, it's a less epic Dishonored, with less gravitas, slightly blander design, and no hub level.

    Knife's three very large levels (and it does feel more like a level pack than an expanded narrative) that are very much Dishonored missions mechanically, but never reach the heights of the base game in terms of art design or atmosphere, in my opinion. The main game just keeps doubling down on the pathos and architectural excess in a way that KoD doesn't seem to quite aspire to. Sounds like I'm panning it, but I'm not. It's solid. It's three more Dishonored missions, no more, no less. Stealth or slaughter, it's all there, just be aware they already poured most of the soul into the main game. (Though as a partial trade off, Daud's blink power is better than Corvo's - stopping time and changing direction midair is pretty great).

    Put it this way: I don't regret paying full price for Knife at all, and Brigmore looks to have a lot more life in it from what I've seen, but I'm still waiting on a discount.
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 13-09-2013 at 06:24 AM.

  6. #166
    Network Hub KwisatzHaderach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    I've only played Knife, but: Do you like Dishonored? The DLC is more Dishonored. Is this not excellent news? Though, as far as Knife goes, it's a less epic Dishonored, with less gravitas, slightly blander design, and no hub level.

    Knife's three very large levels (and it does feel more like a level pack than an expanded narrative) that are very much Dishonored missions mechanically, but never reach the heights of the base game in terms of art design or atmosphere, in my opinion. The main game just keeps doubling down on the pathos and architectural excess in a way that KoD doesn't seem to quite aspire to. Sounds like I'm panning it, but I'm not. It's solid. It's three more Dishonored missions, no more, no less. Stealth or slaughter, it's all there, just be aware they already poured most of the soul into the main game. (Though as a partial trade off, Daud's blink power is better than Corvo's - stopping time and changing direction midair is pretty great).

    Put it this way: I don't regret paying full price for Knife at all, and Brigmore looks to have a lot more life in it from what I've seen, but I'm still waiting on a discount.
    I can completely agree with what you said about KoD. For me, the lack of a sense of urgence and menance compared to the base game was, what made KoD not quite as compelling as the base game. TBW on the other hand I enjoyed more than any of original. Especially the last level, it's just soooo brilliant. While KoD felt like a level pack with solid design, TBW felt much more autonomous and fresh and offers the best of Dishonord's level design. Also, the new powers make for a much more enjoyable rambo or silent assassin playstyle than before (no worries, stealth is as great as ever).

  7. #167
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    667
    I haven't played the DLC yet, but Dishonored's the first game in ages that I immediately replayed after finishing it. It really is almost like two different games if you do one stealth pacifist play through and one Rambo kill everyone play through.

    I wasn't terribly enamored with the plot (which is bare bones) or the main character (who's kind of boring), but the setting and world are awesome and the gameplay itself is interesting enough to hold your interest on its own.

    My one major complaint about the game is that stealth is a bit flat and too simplistic. In my stealth play through after a couple levels I really found myself missing "Thief's" light/dark and "sound" stealth systems. Playing with light and shadow and snuffing out torches to keep out of sight added a whole layer to the gameplay of Thief that Dishonored sadly lacks. Likewise, noise doesn't really factor into Dishonored's stealth much, which again is part of what made Thief so awesome (i.e. in Thief every surface made a certain level of noise depending on what material it was made of, so you had to plan your movements based on the surfaces in front of you). But none of this ruined the game for me or anything, it just would have spiced up the gameplay a bit if they had implemented that type of stuff.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.

  8. #168
    Network Hub KwisatzHaderach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    My one major complaint about the game is that stealth is a bit flat and too simplistic.
    Imo you get the most fun out of the game by playing it kinda like a james bond film: some sneaking, some silent killing, some smaller engagements and some all out ramboing. Not by just sticking to one or the other extreme. That's one thing I love about Dishonored, I can just play the way I feel like at that particular moment throughout the whole game.

  9. #169
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,821
    I am just experiencing the game for the first time vicariously through watching my wife play it. To watch here play it it feels like Bioshock, she kicks down the door and murders everyone as a whirling dervish of death. She's essentially playing as Liam Neeson in Taken.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  10. #170
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,254
    You can kick down doors in Dishonored?

  11. #171
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,821
    You should be able to, the kick button in Dark Messiah was it's best feature. They should sell kick DLC.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  12. #172
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I am just experiencing the game for the first time vicariously through watching my wife play it. To watch here play it it feels like Bioshock, she kicks down the door and murders everyone as a whirling dervish of death. She's essentially playing as Liam Neeson in Taken.
    Now I have to play Dishonored like I am Liam Neeson in Taken.

  13. #173
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,246
    I completed dishonored the same way,its a shame playing stealthy because its very basic compared to rambo style :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •