10 18.52%
  • I've heard of it/ own it, but never played it

4 7.41%
  • What's a Mountain Blade?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount & Blade

Mount & Blade

Warband demo, if you haven't ever played M&B: http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700/

If you try it, some things to know:
    -don't screw with sea raiders
    -don't screw with the difficulty setting
    -play the tutorial, for the love of all that is good

I wasn't sure how popular the M&B series is here, so I made a poll. This thread is for general discussion for anything M&B, be it mods, anecdotes, strategies, or duel servers.

Let's start with strategies on how to go form an independent company to capturing a castle without joining a faction. AFAIK, everyone seems to think just get a huge group of top-tier archers and sit them at the bottom of the wall, picking off whoever is stupid enough to peak over.
    That last letter in my avatar is a P!

Network Hub
    I adore M&B, but can only play sporadically due to the huge time commitment it needs. The occasional weekend gets absolutely consumed once every month or two.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Used to play it a loooot, before Warband. Stopped to due to remnants of sanity.

Warband is my Game Of The Millennium (So Far). Especially with the Floris mod! Which, sadly, isn't updated anymore and probably doesn't work with the latest patches.

Never tried the original, but I've heard there's no reason to try it as Warband is basically Mount & Blade 1.5. Napoleonic Wars was fun for a while (bagpiper as a playable class!), whereas With Fire & Sword suffered from what seemed terribad production values and overall boringness.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Never tried the original, but I've heard there's no reason to try it as Warband is basically Mount & Blade 1.5.
    Yes, I played a bit of Warband and it was simply updated M&B.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Did the Song of Ice and Fire mod for Warband ever get finished? If so, I may want to switch my vote to option one in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Did the Song of Ice and Fire mod for Warband ever get finished? If so, I may want to switch my vote to option one in the near future.
    Don't know about finished (heh, name the big mods during the last years which have reached 1.0...), but it does exist and it works. I've only dabbled with it for a little while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I play it here and there,usually with AD 1257 mod which is really one of best mods for realism nuts! Woot woot!

Activated Node
    I play crpg all the time. It took me a long long time to get decent with one class (horse archer -- pretty much hated by all), but when I finally did it became extremely fun. Kills in M&B CRPG are satisfying in a way that few other games can come close to.

Plus the no upper limit (or very high upper limit) of max players in a server just makes it a very one of a kind game.

The funny thing is I've barely touched the SP aspect of the game in Warband (I played it a lot when the original game came out), much less the SP mods, so I'm having an amazing time with only a small portion of the game.

If M&B 2 can be the same game with better momentum physics and that kind of thing it'll kill (I would love to see its combat paired with the weight of Dark Souls' combat). Personally I kinda hope they don't upgrade the graphics too much so that battles with hundreds of players continue to be very feasible.
    Last edited by noxnoctum; 24-11-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Warband is a superb thing. I may have, uh, played 902 hours of it. Since buying it about eighteen months ago. I would say "I have a problem" if I didn't enjoy it so much.

1257AD and Brytenwalda are my SP mods of choice.

Obscure Node
    I played it obsessively for a month or two but have never been back.

Obscure Node
    Well, I can't vote (I guess it's a "need X posts before you can vote thingy"), but I'm in "sporadic bursts" camp. It can be incredibly time consuming when not kept in check.

On the topic of the Song of Fire and Ice mod, here is an amusing little write-up of trying it.

I'm with lordcooper. I love the game but I can't play very often as it requires a lot of time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I love playing it but damn it takes a lot of time, so I only ever play it in short bursts. It's still the only game that lets me charge into battle with a host at your back, sort of like a first-person Total War game.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I played and enjoyed Warband (single player) for about 20 hours, but then frankly got bored with it. I've never really found a reason to go back.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I played and enjoyed Warband (single player) for about 20 hours, but then frankly got bored with it. I've never really found a reason to go back.
    Be glad. It is not merciful to those it entraps.

Don't own it and don't know a whole lot about it, but it sounds intriguing. I'll put it on my wishlist and see how cheap it gets at Xmas. So I take it Warband is the one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    So I take it Warband is the one to get?
    Definitely yes. I presume you can get it very cheap indeed during the Christmas sales.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Love it! got 125 hours in M&B, and never even finished it, I just got muddled up in the perpetual war between kingdom's. Although I got quite far as the purple guys(Kheanata?) but then lost that save, my second save was with the yellow sea-bordering nation and really our king was a bit of a peaceful wussy, he had no concept of the costs of maintaining a army of elite fighters(usually 40 maxed out seawarriors are killing!). I have had army's of hundreds run from me!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Obscure Node
    I'll play this game whenever I see a let's play of a mod. Just watching someone play it makes me want to play it for like a week and then uninstall it for a few weeks.