Carrier Command: Post Release Evaluation

Good day,

I know I started the original CC thread here, but I just found out about a patch that supposedly fixes/improves Walrus AI, which I am trying out right now, as we speak.

The only downside so far is that you need to either restart your campaign, or go for a strategy game.

The goal of this thread is to make it easy for people that are interested in CC, but wanted to wait and see what happened support wise to the horrible AI situation, so please, if anyone else has tried it more extensively, share! (as I will soon)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Please do because I (and others too by the comments section) am really on the fence with this one after all the complaints about the AI.

Otherwise, this game seems to tick all the right boxes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    If they fix the Walrus AI, then they are forgiven, and it can go from being borderline unplayable to a game that stays perhaps a bit too true to the original but has its own merits.

But they consistently failed to fix it during the beta, which is why you're supposed to have a beta in the first place, so I don't have high hopes.

Banned
    The patch does help but I don't believe it's been released on steam, probably due to all the QQ if people's savegames are disrupted.

It's certainly made the walruses capable of getting around and even over bridges but they are still useless when it comes to having all 4 go to a repair point at the same time. That's the kind of clicking and baby sitting that pisses me off in this game.

But it is getting better.

Maybe in a few more patches time it will actually be a good game. I have to admit I am slowly coming around to it but the game itself could be so so much more.

So basically... it's ARMA but with a carrier?

Okay. I'll be back in a year or so then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I just start getting into this game and of course I need to start everything from campaign which is supposed to be tutorial. I was stunned while my Walruses kept struggling to try to crush through the gate sealed with force field. What the...... So when you all are complaining about Walrus AI, i know that feel bro.

But hey, this seems to inspire a new battlefield command system with real application. I watched an American TV drama called Numb3rs. In the west there some recuse robots which can, once you set objectives for them, would find their way to overcome any obstacle on the way. And BIS is military simulator developer. Could this be NATO's....................

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    So basically... it's ARMA but with a carrier?
    This game's shooting mechanism is very primitive, absolutely not comparable with something as advanced as ARMA. And the command system on the other hand...... I dont know, can you mates make a comparison for them?
    Last edited by squirrel; 08-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Activated Node
    Wanted to see what the fuss was about this game, so I downloaded the demo. Every time I tried to remap the keys the demo froze. Instant uninstall. No thank you. Probably not a good sign about how stable the finished product is.

Obscure Node
    I liked the gameplay but essentially it got ruined by BI. Too much time making trees and weather and not enough making the game fun to play. Campaign was bullshit, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    This game's shooting mechanism is very primitive, absolutely not comparable with something as advanced as ARMA. And the command system on the other hand...... I dont know, can you mates make a comparison for them?
    No, I mean in terms of how BIS releases usually go - "broken on release, wait a year for patches, should be fairly playable then"

re: sectoid & agamemnon: have you played the game post patch? If not, please keep it to yourself.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    No, I mean in terms of how BIS releases usually go - "broken on release, wait a year for patches, should be fairly playable then"
    Pretty much.

I just prefer to buy BIS games new (especially now that they have their own store) to support them. Because I know I'll get 50, 60, even 100 dollars of joy out of it. I just pretend I am pre-ordering a few months to a year in advance. Usually I prefer not to reward incompetence, but BIS are special in my eyes. And they always fix crap (although, the big issue with this is pathfinding which they have never fixed. But it is also a different studio, so who knows).
    Last edited by gundato; 08-10-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

My impression so far, of the patch: The walrusses are way snappier now, not get stuck that often anymore, and they generally complete every order you give them. Now if only they would talk to each other, and actually prioritise repairs/reloads/recharges, or enemies and such, that would be awesome.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Network Hub
    Only valid for extremely loose definitions of 'fairly'

So now that this is in a Humble Bundle: what's the verdict? Has the game been updated? Is it actually fun to play now?

I would love to know, Ive been dying for an excuse to get back to it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've last played it at the end of july, that was with the 1.06 Patch. There's one more patch after that, but it's a beta patch and doesn't list any Walrus AI improvements. The AI is... well it still has its issues.

With all 4 Walrus on the Carrier, if you issue a group move to either side of the carrier, the side farthest from the target will bump into the carrier for a good few minutes, before they finally get the idea. This can be semi-solved on the playerside by setting a waypoint straight ahead and then island-wards.
    Their behavior at chokepoints has much improved in my opinion, for one reason mostly: They don't crash into each other as much anymore. Prevents a lot of explosions. Of rage. And Walrus. Yet, they can still spend up to 10 minutes trying to sort out how the hell they're going to resupply all at once. This needs to be done manually I'm affraid.
    They rarely overestimate their traction anymore. This stops them from picking hills they simply can't get up. It's not perfect though, on frozen islands they'll struggle a lot, even with the correct equipment. I've seen one Walrus drive up a hill, slide down, circle back and retry. Repeat til player intervention. The issue with driving through forests seems to be solved in that they don't drive through forests. Their waypoints will reset to the nearest route. If you drive them in manually and then relinquish control, they bump into trees and really can't deal with it as far as I can see it.

So unless you explicitely tell them to go into difficulty terrain, they'll do mostly fine. There are very specific situations that makes the AI topple over. You can avoid them or will have to deal with them manually. In the grand scheme of things it mostly works. The AI will still be a source of constant frustration and hair pulling at times, but in my opinion it's much less of an issue than it was at release.