Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

How to unlock Dishonored and X-Com tomorrow morning. (For EU)

Both of these games are not coming out on Friday, they are coming out on TUESDAY.

They both release at something like six AM UK time, in America. Yes, it's that bullshit 'games come out in time in America but nowhere else' thing.

But there's a solution!

To unlock the games when they're REALLY out instead of the bullshit european release date do this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/..._the/?sort=new

with this: http://www.spotflux.com/

Common consensus says that Valve don't care if you do this to unlock games WHEN THEY ARE REALLY RELEASED.

But DO NOT USE THIS TO BUY GAMES. If you buy games while using soptflux or a VPN, YOU WILL BE BANNED.

ONLY USE THIS METHOD TO UNLOCK GAMES AT THEIR REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

And for God's sake, stand up for the right to get games released at their REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SectoidBro View Post
    And for God's sake, stand up for the right to get games released at their REAL TIME OF RELEASE.

I don't see any way of doing this other than not buying the game.

The publishers don't give a shit about you bypassing the restriction by using a VPN, or posting on their forum politely asking them to stop it.

Just don't forget that with a VPN, be it FlyVPN, Spotflux or whatever, you give an unknown party complete control over your whole internet traffic.

so the officialy release time is 0600 GMT?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    I don't see any way of doing this other than not buying the game.
    Not buying doesn't say "I want this at the same time as everyone else" it says "I don't want this"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SectoidBro View Post
    ANGRY RANT
    The issue has little to do with publishers and everything to do with European retail distribution and the vast physical mechanisms that underpin it (those scary portalseque warehouses out in the middle of nowhere). Certain types of goods get shipped on certain days by logistics companies and shuffling the deck largely isn't on the cards because that means other stuff would have to be moved to other days. It's not some mad conspiracy, it's simply that the incentive isn't there. Occasionally in there's enough motivation as with a game like WoW or MW3 where there's genuine fever pitch clamouring things will get bumped to coincide with the US release at retailer request (someone like a Tesco or Sainsbury has that sort of clout) but by on large it ain't happening.

Feel free to get mad, alternatively just evolve patience. Personally I'd rather the US subscribed to the Friday idea tbh, because Tuesdays a workday.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah. I've never really liked new games on Tuesdays.

New comics on Wednesdays is tolerable though. Still would prefer the weekend to savor it, but swinging by the local comic book shop during lunch on Wednesdays is quite doable.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The issue has little to do with publishers and everything to do with European retail distribution and the vast physical mechanisms that underpin it (those scary portalseque warehouses out in the middle of nowhere). Certain types of goods get shipped on certain days by logistics companies and shuffling the deck largely isn't on the cards because that means other stuff would have to be moved to other days. It's not some mad conspiracy, it's simply that the incentive isn't there. Occasionally in there's enough motivation as with a game like WoW or MW3 where there's genuine fever pitch clamouring things will get bumped to coincide with the US release at retailer request (someone like a Tesco or Sainsbury has that sort of clout) but by on large it ain't happening.

Feel free to get mad, alternatively just evolve patience. Personally I'd rather the US subscribed to the Friday idea tbh, because Tuesdays a workday.
    Games are released on Tuesday for business reasons. Since most things don't ship on Sundays it allows retailers to receive shipments on Mondays and stock their shelves before Tuesday. If a game (or anything really, most media releases on Tuesdays here) is selling well during the week, it allows them to get more in stock by the weekend for the weekend shoppers. Sales figures are traditionally released on Monday as well, which means they get pretty much an entire week of sales in before the first numbers report.

For all of the above reasons I sincerely doubt the date will ever be changed, at least not while brick and mortar stores are still relevant.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    at least not while brick and mortar stores are still relevant.
    So, maybe 5-10 years. Physical digital media is dead. Not for the next generation of consoles, but the one after that. iOS is the model for console makers to follow, with Steam's preloading feature tacked on.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Not buying doesn't say "I want this at the same time as everyone else" it says "I don't want this"
    Which is exactly why, when boycotting whatever product for whatever reason, you're also supposed to send some kind of letter or email telling the boycottee what you're boycotting and why. Too many people seem to think you boycott stuff just by not buying it, without letting them know why you're not buying it. I can only assume these people think companies employ clairvoyants to find this kind of shit out, because otherwise I have no idea what they think they're achieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    While everything you've said is true, it would be nice if they could release in the EU the Friday before if the game's already gold and distributed, rather than us mostly (but not always) having to wait until our pondly neighbours have gotten their grubby mits on it first. Although at present I'm just happy we don't have to wait for a month after the console release.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Thing is that it's not NA v EU, it's NA v everywhere else. Here in Australia some pubs manage to get the game released at the same time as the US, so I doubt that shipping problems are their major consideration. We're either lumped with the US (in which case brick and mortar stores break the date usually the day before, but Steam still locks you out) or with the EU, which makes no sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    So, maybe 5-10 years. Physical digital media is dead. Not for the next generation of consoles, but the one after that. iOS is the model for console makers to follow, with Steam's preloading feature tacked on.
    You lost me on the iOS part. Are you saying consoles should sell games through an app store type interface? The apple app store sucks from a design standpoint, it's pages and pages of crap everywhere.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    You lost me on the iOS part. Are you saying consoles should sell games through an app store type interface? The apple app store sucks from a design standpoint, it's pages and pages of crap everywhere.
    Don't think he's necessarily saying that's what should happen, so much as it's what will happen. One look at the NXE that got shoved out on the 360 shows that at least one manufacturer isn't too concerned about ubiquitous pages of crap.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Thing is that it's not NA v EU, it's NA v everywhere else. Here in Australia some pubs manage to get the game released at the same time as the US, so I doubt that shipping problems are their major consideration. We're either lumped with the US (in which case brick and mortar stores break the date usually the day before, but Steam still locks you out) or with the EU, which makes no sense.
    It's really NA vs other large economic blocs. Economic backwaters like the one I'm in at the moment tend to get the same release date as the US, presumably because there's aren't any physical releases at all and the number of people who actually buy their games from a DD service instead of a pirated DVD from a market stall can be counted on your thumb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wooden Spoon View Post
    Too many people seem to think you boycott stuff just by not buying it, without letting them know why you're not buying it. I can only assume these people think companies employ clairvoyants to find this kind of shit out, because otherwise I have no idea what they think they're achieving.
    Companies read the internet.

Banned
    Well Spotflux here I come. I shall QQ here if my Steam account is banned ;D

This works, if Steam goes online at all with your real IP the game will lock again though.

Banned
    Works a treat. Getting my ass whooped now. I can wait a few days to play Gaige on Borderlands again im sure :D

Thanks guys

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wooden Spoon View Post
    It's really NA vs other large economic blocs. Economic backwaters like the one I'm in at the moment tend to get the same release date as the US, presumably because there's aren't any physical releases at all and the number of people who actually buy their games from a DD service instead of a pirated DVD from a market stall can be counted on your thumb.
    Brazil sometimes gets the US release date, sometimes the EU one, sometimes a date between those. I have never been able to detect any consistency, so it probably depends on the publisher.

Obscure Node
    Lol

So many people arguing

So few people playing their games.

I've been playing XCom all morning. :D