Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Cities XL: Should I get it?

Before you reply "No, stick with SimCity x000"

I can understand the game's notoriety for being buggy, but once you get through that, is the game worth playing?

Even when you're not playing, can you just upload a premade city & have a tour around it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Buy SimCity4.

its... interesting.

I quite liked 2012, but they have some problems with motivation for building the city. its hard to figure out how to balance it all, and youre encouraged to build multiple cities that work in tandem with each other. (one selling the commodity needed to another city, but takes all your waste, etc)

Aside from that, its well made, you can make some really nice stuff. but its more like Sim City Societies than id like.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Buy SimCity4.
    This.

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    This.

10char
    and be annoyed by not being able to make round roads.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    and be annoyed by not being able to make round roads.
    Round roads mean nothing without dynamic building plots.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    A New Yorker would said that. You and your cold calculating and easy to navigate grid system!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    A New Yorker would said that. You and your cold calculating and easy to navigate grid system!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Oh the joys of trying to get around lower manhatten.

I ended up picking up Sim City 4. Sim City was one of the first games I ever got for PC. I got it one chrstmas and I didn't even know what a PC game was at the time. The box looked so weird and I thought it was going to be a board game or something until I opened it and only found a cd in a case.

SC4 is good, dont get me wrong, but CXL is simply stunning. could use some gameplay improvement, though.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    SC4 is good, dont get me wrong, but CXL is simply stunning. could use some gameplay improvement, though.
    Except aesthetically and mechanically it's inferior to Simcity 4. SC4 has more control over everything - transit especially - and can actually pull off a street wall.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Hey Nalano,can you suggest any visual mods for SimCity4. I think it looks nice but when you zoom in its klinda pixalated.

The two active fansites and mod depositories for SC4 are simtropolis.com and sc4devotion.com.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    As someone who hasn't really played any city builders (but is very interested in them), is Sim City 4 worth the purchase? I mean overall, not just in comparison to Cities XL. It's very cheap on the steam sale right now.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    As someone who hasn't really played any city builders (but is very interested in them), is Sim City 4 worth the purchase? I mean overall, not just in comparison to Cities XL. It's very cheap on the steam sale right now.
    I never found a city builder that i liked more and i tried nearly all of them. (i passed on sim city societies...)
    But you have to get the extension (rush hour), it is really indispensable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The two active fansites and mod depositories for SC4 are simtropolis.com and sc4devotion.com.
    I see but there are to many files for me to browse through,can't you just suggest something for better visuals,if there is any :D

Yes. It's by far the best in the genre. New Simcity is looking promising too but we'll see about that next year.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Obscure Node
    SimCity 4 is by far the best in the series. SC4 offers depth and extensibility that is unmatched by other city-builders on the market. The biggest challenge with SC4 is the lack of comprehensive mod/building manager that makes setting a working copy a hassle (I like to install a lot of mods/pack etcs).

Make sure to get the NAM mod:

http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=NAM

Cities XL is okay, but it seem to lacking something.

Banned
    We should have some kind of city build off in the new year.

It's about time we had some regular gaming clubs here on RPS outside of mp shenanigans.

Network Hub
    As someone who sucks at direct competitive multiplayer but does like socializing around games, I would so be up for that.