Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I don't get the complaining,i play with mouse and its not hard to aim with grenades.
    I find free aiming can be a bit awkward at the edge of maps. Is it less so with a gamepad?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Had a nasty freezing issue (saved my game in the alien ship, then the game patched itself on Steam, then I loaded mid-mission again) I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but the game would freeze up every time I gave an order when I loaded that save.

The fix, in case anyone has got the same problem: Change your resolution setting, complete the mission, and then put it back to wherever you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Looks like they were playing the alien version of Kinect if you ask me...
    no, it pauses on fullscreen, borderless windows, windows, all of it. it doesnt "run" in the background, it pauses everything, and waits till you select it again.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    Anyone else found the abduction UFO encounter atrocious due to the way the level is designed?
    Worst map so far. One you get inside you can't see shit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    http://xcom.nexusmods.com/

first "mods" are out, mostly ini tweaks and difficulty adjustements

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    This one looks interesting, it's basically enabling some campaign modifiers, that were coded into the game but were disabled, like a Marathon mode, different ways troops develop or are penalised for injuries etc.

Edit: The changes on this Balance patch seem mostly reasonable too, it seems mainly geared at bridging the gap between normal and classic (slightly more health for soldiers, satellites don't take quite as long to build) I might give it a go.
    Last edited by Jockie; 15-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Both balancing mods (1, 2) include the "Second Wind" thing as well. They introduce the ability to shoot down the UFOs causing abductions/terror sites if you have the coverage which makes the game more hectic/difficult (as those UFOs still count to your panic level if they escape) but they also lower the time it takes to construct a satellite to 10 instead of 20 days. Second one also removes the aim/crit bonuses the Aliens get on Classic (and Ironman).

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Both balancing mods (1, 2) include the "Second Wind" thing as well. They introduce the ability to shoot down the UFOs causing abductions/terror sites if you have the coverage which makes the game more hectic/difficult (as those UFOs still count to your panic level if they escape) but they also lower the time it takes to construct a satellite to 10 instead of 20 days. Second one also removes the aim/crit bonuses the Aliens get on Classic (and Ironman).
    Dont really see the need to shorten the satellite build lenght, you can build them all the time.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Dont really see the need to shorten the satellite build lenght, you can build them all the time.
    It doesn't make much sense relatively that an advanced experimental ship utilising alien technology (firestorm) takes less time to build than a satellite. Plus with the increased number of ufos both mods bring about, theres a pretty high chance of your sats being shot down, as well as higher panic from the number of UFOs (when they escape it increases panic and they can't all be shot down by the basic interceptors)
    Last edited by Jockie; 15-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    UK High level mission,clear the area of enemy hostiles: We came with squad of five people,in the process we encountered six floaters and four muttons,we dispatched all of them,only my best man got wounded but not badly. Feels good owning those bastards!
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 15-10-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Seems like a lot of people (including me) are bothered by bugged SHIVs.

- Can't see the SHIV model itself in barracks.
    - Can't select SHIV to be in squad.
    - SHIV sometimes turns into a headless female rookie.
    - SHIV sometimes doesn't show up at all when on a map even when I was able to put it in a squad.

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...able-to-Deploy

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Guess I won't be building those.

Either smoke grenades can completely block LOS, or Mutons are teleporting into my group. WTF.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    This one looks interesting, it's basically enabling some campaign modifiers, that were coded into the game but were disabled, like a Marathon mode, different ways troops develop or are penalised for injuries etc.
    I thought I read when you complete the game more options can be enabled to make it more difficult. Doesn't seem to be in.

Here it is

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread...e-game-coolest
    Last edited by Wrongshui; 15-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Doctor Auto Save worked for 16 years to bring the autosave to modern computing. Why is there no autosave in XCOM, save for Ironman? Am I being an idiot for missing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Doctor Auto Save worked for 16 years to bring the autosave to modern computing. Why is there no autosave in XCOM, save for Ironman? Am I being an idiot for missing it?
    you have to activate it, default is off.

it only saves 3 per mission, and once after every mission, or at every ufo successful shot down/important mission
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    you have to activate it, default is off.

it only saves 3 per mission, and once after every mission, or at every ufo successful shot down/important mission
    Argh. Why would they turn it off by default? I don't like that feature.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Argh. Why would they turn it off by default? I don't like that feature.
    Probably because the original didin't have an autosave? Dunno, but I could imagine the cries of "oh wait it autosaves that's so against the game I'll decide when to save etc" if it was on by default.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Probably because the original didin't have an autosave? Dunno, but I could imagine the cries of "oh wait it autosaves that's so against the game I'll decide when to save etc" if it was on by default.
    Pretty terrible reasoning. If they're willing to face the hordes of 'Give us time units' people, then they can leave an autosave function in by default.

The last mission went horribly. A routine abduction clean-up turned into a clusterfuck of every random chance fighting against me, from grenades missing their targets by a hair to a psi-panicked muton blasting my psionic soldier with plasma instead of actually panicking. Result: nearly everyone wounded, one of the soldiers I had had since day 1 dead.

It's ok, with a little recovery time things should go back in business soon...

The very next day, a terror mission appears. Oh lordy I am so not ready for this right now.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.