Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar

Banned
    The America only focus for the game really shows. Fighting on a suspension bridge in Nigeria... A gas station full of yellow cabs in Paris.

I'm all but certain I remember reading that this version of X-Com was a XBLA release which got corrected when the internet cried out...

It would explain a lot.

Still, probably my third favourite game this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    That concept art and screen mock ups are amazing. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, but now I'm wishing they had taken the art more in that direction.

I wish I knew more to mod the game instead of just tweaking ini files... feels like there has to be a way to alleviate at least some of the headaches caused by the camera controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    The America only focus for the game really shows.

Yeah, the voices bother me. The non-localized settings are annoying but many times I'm not really paying attention to which country I'm supposed to be in, just how panicked they are. But for some reason it really annoys me that they have soldiers from all over the world but they are all American. Why not just have all soldiers be American? It would make more sense why they all talk the same.
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 24-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Just look at first image on previous page,that shot screams athmosphere,and its creepy as hell ! As far i know original games were very spooky and as i played new one,clocked few hours in,its not scary at all.

The "Elite Soldiers Pack" DLC is out now on Steam for $5. I hate that I want to pay extra to change armor colors, but the game kinda needs it. I probably won't play any more until it gets some real patching though. The whole situation is rather disappointing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I did exactly the opposite, suppressing my mind-controlled member and trying to take out the Ethereal as fast as possible with the rest of the squad. Of course the Elite mutons flanked me and suppression ended a turn later and disaster ensued. I ll try this approach next time. I think I was fooled by the ease with which I killed Sectoid commanders earlier...

I do have the ghost armour but I think I didn't take it for that mission. Now I know better!
    Taking out the controller works if one of your dudes is also within the perimeter but I had occasions where an Ethereal mind controlled one of my guys from a far away room with only one entrance and I had no angle or range to take him out.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

The America only focus for the game really shows. Fighting on a suspension bridge in Nigeria... A gas station full of yellow cabs in Paris.

Still, probably my third favourite game this year.
    Well, Nigeria does have some bridges, like this one:
    http://www.kayalgroup.com/refrences3.asp?cat=13&id=25
    But I agree that some local flavour would greatly enhance the maps. Even just adding some bloody palm trees would help.

what was seen cannot be unseen..I want my XCOM to look like that "First Vision" of game :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Yeah, the more I play, the more this bothers me. If you want your game to represent the world, then represent the world. It can't be that much more expensive to hire native voice actors and do a little research on common landscapes for different parts of the planet.

A map editor would be the best way to solve this games problems, and the community would do it for them so it would be pretty cheap. This has to happen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yeah, the more I play, the more this bothers me. If you want your game to represent the world, then represent the world. It can't be that much more expensive to hire native voice actors and do a little research on common landscapes for different parts of the planet.
    This was a potentially risky project in terms of audience and sales, so pouring money into 'flavour' was never ever going to be a something they were going to concerns themselves with Vs the player using their imagination. Hopefully the games sold well (I think it's done ok on PC, but no clue about console sales) and perhaps if its established itself as a brand for the modern audience expansions or sequels will build upon it in terms of cosmetic features such as voices etc, etc.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    Well, Nigeria does have some bridges, like this one:
    http://www.kayalgroup.com/refrences3.asp?cat=13&id=25
    But I agree that some local flavour would greatly enhance the maps. Even just adding some bloody palm trees would help.
    The game was originally set ONLY in America

I like the game, it shows potential for a lot of expansion, also, the ending leaves a lot open.

POTENTIAL SPOILER (Though not really)!
    It actually tells you more or less to your face that there is much more to come. (and somehow ends up tying in XCOM Apocalypse' plot)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The game was originally set ONLY in America
    Source please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the FPS version was/is going to be set in the USA, but I haven't heard anything similar regarding the game we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I like the game, it shows potential for a lot of expansion, also, the ending leaves a lot open.

POTENTIAL SPOILER (Though not really)!
    It actually tells you more or less to your face that there is much more to come. (and somehow ends up tying in XCOM Apocalypse' plot)
    I haven't played that one but I felt that [spoiler] the seismic event when the ship came up could tie into a terror from the deep plot[/spoiler]

True enough. I think all of that tied the three different plots (we will ignore interceptor wholly, yes?) together quite nicely, in the end. So there is definitely a lot of room to expand in. If there will be an XCOM: TERROR FROM THE DEEP or APOCALYPSE, I will definitely buy them, because they have set a good framework for dynamic narrative, even though it could be a tad more dynamic.

Also, those are mood boards, Daft. They never look like the finished product. Not even Dishonored look like that.

I still think they managed to get the tension going quite well. Very well, even.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Source please.
    I'm searching but I can't find it. I think it was on Kotaku of all places but I've yet to drag anything up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I miss the constant patrolling of UFOs going around. You get what you can, you could follow supply ships to a base or intercept a terror ship before it lands. If you missed a few UFOs, it was not as big of a deal. Now if I do, the panic jumps 2-3 (max now in Russia for me) and I risk losing it now.

Something different to adjust to.
    Last edited by Moraven; 24-10-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Check out the mods in xcom.nexusmods.com

There are plenty of mods that will let you shoot those ufo before the abduct or cause terror.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem