Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Actually that's a question I have, does Overwatch have a chance to trigger, or is it supposed to be automatic? I had a solider in Overwatch and a Sectoid came around the corner, point blank range, but I didn't get a reaction shot out of it.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Actually that's a question I have, does Overwatch have a chance to trigger, or is it supposed to be automatic? I had a solider in Overwatch and a Sectoid came around the corner, point blank range, but I didn't get a reaction shot out of it.
    Good question, it seems very inconsistent.
    Speaking of, I really dislike how personal line of sight is never shown. If someone has discovered an alien up ahead and there is clear line of sight to him from someone further down the field, I can never figure out when I will actually be able to shoot at it because it never shows what my individual soldier is able to see.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Any suggestions how to beat 6 mutons and a cyberdisk that all trigger that once? On a small map that is.
    Hope your team all panic and blow the aliens to bits without you doing anything ... otherwise, panic yourself :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrmud View Post
    Good question, it seems very inconsistent.
    Speaking of, I really dislike how personal line of sight is never shown. If someone has discovered an alien up ahead and there is clear line of sight to him from someone further down the field, I can never figure out when I will actually be able to shoot at it because it never shows what my individual soldier is able to see.
    Overwatch only triggers once for the first enemy that comes into your field of view, so maybe your guy already had used his OW action?

Concerning the line of sight issues: I loved how Jagged Alliance 2 handled this by greying out NPCs that the selected character could not see. Also, free aiming allowed you to instantly get an impression which area was well covered by a mercenary. I'd really like to know how healthy the modding scene for this game will be in a few months. There surely are some very worthwhile things that could be added to the game.

In case somebody is interested to hear a bit more about the ideas and reasons for some of the design choices, in last week's episode of ThreeMovesAhead Jake Solomon, the lead designer of XCOM, was an invited guest. Still haven't made it to the end of the podcast but the first few minutes sounded promising.

Activated Node
    The 3ma episode is pretty good but i feel that there are questions brought up that he does not answer satisfactory

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Also, free aiming allowed you to instantly get an impression which area was well covered by a mercenary. I'd really like to know how healthy the modding scene for this game will be in a few months. There surely are some very worthwhile things that could be added to the game.
    Who needs free-aim when you can have this CINEMATIC over the shoulder view of your grunts? It adds more tension to your very very important decision making!
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Overwatch only triggers once for the first enemy that comes into your field of view, so maybe your guy already had used his OW action?
    Nope - this was the only enemy in anyone's LOS, my turn had just finished, and it was the first enemy to move. It walked right in front of my guy, and shot him. I saw a little Overwatch label show up over my soldier but absolutely nothing happened.

Fortunately, he survived.
    Unfortunately, it was a Muton, so said survival was tragically short lived.

In that case I would assume it to be a bug. Some people over at the official forum are collecting bug reports, so maybe that will be a place to look for solutions to the various problems people are having at the moment.

Overwatch does not guarantee reactionary fire, if you ask me. It's the equivalent of leaving enough TUs left over to fire in the original but it doesn't mean your soldier is quick enough to actually shoot.

Simple question to the lovers of the original xcom...

Is this the game we've been waiting for?

It's ready to download on my Steam account but, stupidly, I've guaranteed the Mrs a 'no gaming' week :(

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've started the game on Normal, forgot to turn on Iron Man mode, but then again my forgetfulness is enforcing it on me anyway. I never even remember to save.

Regarding approaching overwatched enemies, you've got a few options. The first is, well, don't. Let his overwatch run out and see what he does next turn, maybe he'll do something else, you can either overwatch your own guys or hunker down. The second is charge with an assault, they get a nifty ability for precisely that purpose which I have used and abused. The third is to move up in cover, overwatch will only trigger if you move within their line of sight, so if you can move up to cover from out of their sight (ie. the first time they see you is as you enter cover and stop) you can get a shot. Or just snipe them from well beyond their range. Or grenade them. Or rocket them.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    I've started the game on Normal, forgot to turn on Iron Man mode, but then again my forgetfulness is enforcing it on me anyway. I never even remember to save.
    Same for me - turned autosave on now though

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Themadcow View Post

It's ready to download on my Steam account but, stupidly, I've guaranteed the Mrs a 'no gaming' week :(
    This will definitely vary depending on who you are asking.
    I don't think it is.
    The game is a streamlined version of the original where all the streamlining has left it uninspiring and dull. It is also encumbered by bad controls and a terrible cover, movement and line of sight system.
    But those are my opinions based on the scarce few hours I have been able to play, there seem to be plenty of people out there who are enjoying it.

Activated Node
    Regarding approaching overwatched enemies, you've got a few options. The first is, well, don't. Let his overwatch run out and see what he does next turn, maybe he'll do something else, you can either overwatch your own guys or hunker down.
    Yea, that works when you see them overwatch, but I have been faceplanted many times just moving into fog of war.

The second is charge with an assault, they get a nifty ability for precisely that purpose which I have used and abused.
    All assaults are dead...

The third is to move up in cover, overwatch will only trigger if you move within their line of sight, so if you can move up to cover from out of their sight (ie. the first time they see you is as you enter cover and stop) you can get a shot.
    This one could work, assuming there is actually cover available to do so and that you have squad mates who can move into such a position.

Or just snipe them from well beyond their range.
    Once again, snipers, all dead...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Aliens on overwatch are my nemesis as well. They do it so infrequently that I always forget which one is on alert and then the fields of view are sometimes .... weird to say the least. I had an alien shooting the solid wall a soldier was moving behind.

I'd happily sacrifice one of my Colonels for some map overlays to indicate FoV, Cover etc. like in JA2.

My playthrough so far is rather successful, I'm fielding a full squad of 6 colonels with high rankin replacements on the line and can finally deal with the "second tier" enemies somewhat reliably. A high ranking Sniper is an insane affair, able to kill 2 mutons in one turn. I still hate the poison spit with a passion and entrenched muttons are nothing to joke about (thank god for rocket launcher). I held out building the containment chamber for quite a bit (sometime after the first terror scene) but the aliens *did* keep getting stronger, so that's not controlled by story progress. By the time I went to the panic reducing mission someone else has mentioned above entire Asia has dropped out of XCom.

I'm expecting the game to stomp my face with some new enemy any minute now.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 10-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Played a bit last night. Gonna do a run on Normal, then I'll probably switch to Classic Ironman.

I liked the tutorial. Fun that they kill off all but one person during it. I kind of expected it, and am sort of amazed anyone survived.

Also, not sure if it was just a coincidence, but my first soldier to earn an upgrade was named Lopez. And he was a Heavy. I will pretend that is an RvB reference.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The "Light Plasma Rifles" are like SMGs in a sense.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I forgot to mention: ever-changing hotkeys. Who thought of that?!

Youre able to set hotkeys in the options, maybe they stay the same if you set them?

also, you have a maximum of 6 soldiers. maybe think before you act is a good thing instead of bad.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Themadcow View Post

It's got the tension. That's so important for me. Moving through the map is tense. Firefights are tense, especially if you aren't sure if a patrol might join in from an unexpected angle. You know that super tense thing where you're making a shot and you mutter to yourself frantically "pleasedon'tmisspleasedon'tmiss" over and over again and then you miss and the blood drains from your face because a soldier you like probably won't see out another turn? That's there in spades.

I haven't played for long enough to get a sense for the strategic layer, but it seems like a constant struggle with 6 things to do and the resources to do 2. There's a sense of barely being able to keep things afloat. It's going to be neat to see how it does the turnaround in the end game.