Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Yes, I believe a diligent player would have two full squads and alternate them between missions to always have replacements at hand. Alternatively a good tactic could be to use two slots each missions for lower qualified soldiers than your main team to allow them to get xp. That would also be very handy at that time late in the campaign when you have to find your gifted 'voulunteer'.

Watching a team of rookies or squaddies trying to take on a Sectopod or even a Cyberdisc can be brutally hilarious.

My XCOM didn't update until I told it to run, and then it said "update required" but launched anyway without updating. It forcefed me the startup movies again, so I quit to disable those, and then it updated. Next it did more installing when I ran it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Most of those were in the previous patch. This must have been some kind of hotfix.
    AFAIK that update had not happened yet. They announced it a week ago, but it just went live. This patch was it.

I don't think those were the full patch notes, and I'm dubious until they address the teleporting aliens issue.

Is the issue with the hovering killed/destroyed flying aliens resolved by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    I don't think those were the full patch notes, and I'm dubious until they address the teleporting aliens issue.
    They aren't complete notes no.
    For example, they fixed the new recruit hp bug where when you hired a new soldier he would have 6hps no matter what difficulty you were on.

While I still like the way you come across clusters of aliens who scuttle away, I really wish they'd programmed it to ensure that they always scuttle AWAY. It really sucks when the aliens get to use the end of your turn to move among your soldiers, then their turn to murder them. It's this sort of thing that makes Ironman untenable for me; I feel so cheated when it happens. It's not bad strategy or even bad luck, it's bad design. I don't think I'd have a screen anymore if I hadn't abandoned that mode.

edit: fuck chryssalids and everything they stand for
    Last edited by Gwilym; 20-11-2012 at 03:40 AM.

It's not bad design as much as it's a bit of a hang-up based on the move system. It is bad strategy as you should really be careful about opening up new areas of the map if 5 out of your 6 soldiers have already used their moves.

you know, im so diligent about cryssalids that I've never been got by one. for the strong melee troops ill fall back and ovrrwatch to force them through a chokepoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I started a new game since the patch came along and suddenly I have problems I so far only heard about, like teleporting enemies or missing 100% shots on a regular basis :(
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    It is bad strategy as you should really be careful about opening up new areas of the map if 5 out of your 6 soldiers have already used their moves.
    Hm! Right you are. I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, if you're going to uncover a new area of the map do it on the first move of your turn. Then you can have that soldier dash back to safety and have everyone else respond appropriately.

I was only edging forward a few tiles at a time as it was, so it's only a minor tweak to my strategy on the whole. I feel a bit silly for not noticing how blatantly it was my mistake to begin with! Not sure how I overlooked that. Chryssalid rage dulled my faculties.

Is it even worth trying to save civilians in terror missions after a certain point? I need to keep my team close together to deal with cyberdiscs, so the chryssalids basically get to run around killing and multiplying grossly. Perhaps I'm supposed to have better weapons by this point. I thought I was having a pretty decent run, though.
    Last edited by Gwilym; 21-11-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DWZippy View Post
    you know, im so diligent about cryssalids that I've never been got by one. for the strong melee troops ill fall back and ovrrwatch to force them through a chokepoint.
    You know that terror map with a bridge? Other ones are fine, but this one is a nightmare. In my 100 hours in XCOM( classic ironman) I lost whole squads of Majors and Colonels to Chrysalids on this map. My guys have nowhere to hide, there are no chokepoints, there is no way to save civilians before they are turned into zmbies and cars block the view and catch fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

That bridge mission once nearly cost me my entire team. It also doesn't help that the 'close combat' perk that give assaults a free attack on any enemy that moves within 4 ft of it only works if the assault has line-of-sight AND isn't somehow on a different level of that enemy when he breaches that perimeter. For example, at the end of the bridge, where the collapsed highway lies perpendicular to the highway you start on, is a really bad spot for your assault to wait. 3 chryssalids and 2 zombies surrounded her without them getting a single shot from her CC ability. She just didn't react at all which completely screwed up my strategy. Ended up sacrificing her with a rocket blast from my heavy, taking her and all those aliens out in one swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
    Is it even worth trying to save civilians in terror missions after a certain point?
    Not for me. Unless I have the serious advantage I tend to not push for civilians at all. Send out a scout, 'wake' some chryssalids or whatever else is there and then pull back in order to let the rest of your team take overwatch shots at them as they (hopefully) follow your retreating soldier. Saving civilians is nice but it doesn't help if your entire team dies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Terror missions seem to only go one way for me. On the first or second turn reveal 2-3 groups of Chrysallids simultaneously. Spend the rest of the mission pinned down at my starting location by waves of bugs and zombies. Near the end, fan out to find a lonely couple of Floaters, and finish the mission having saved 4 people.

Is it even worth trying to save civilians in terror missions after a certain point?
    I've never compromised my tactics or my team in order to save civilians. If my team dies no one is going to save them anyway.
    Last edited by Tikey; 21-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Don't bother with civilians. Even if they all die, as long as you successfully kill all the aliens it's still a win for you. Don't risk a 15 gazillion dollar soldier for one meatsack civilian.

I try to not kill them on purpose, but if I can catch a couple aliens with a nicely placed rocket and a civilian is in the way... bad luck for the civilian.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa
    Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Join our racing games subforum! Going wide and braking late since 1886!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Guardian View Post
    I wonder if it's at all possible to win the campaing without losing the support of even a single country?
    Did that on my first Playthrough hardest Difficulty ,ironman.Lost only two or three Guys in the whole Campaign (except for the last Mission where the Endboss surprise blasted half my Team).
    Snipers with doubletap ,and weaponbreaking dominate everything.Especially if they can use Psi Powers while on the Move.

My Team were 2 Assaults,1 support/Psi specced for Medic and Defense Duty (Smoke Gren and Tk Field),2 Sniper/Psis.
    Most Enemies died before they could get off a single Shot.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    Did that on my first Playthrough hardest Difficulty ,ironman.Lost only two or three Guys in the whole Campaign (except for the last Mission where the Endboss surprise blasted half my Team).
    Snipers with doubletap ,and weaponbreaking dominate everything.Especially if they can use Psi Powers while on the Move.

My Team were 2 Assaults,1 support/Psi specced for Medic and Defense Duty (Smoke Gren and Tk Field),2 Sniper/Psis.
    Most Enemies died before they could get off a single Shot.
    You sir, if you are indeed a sir or speaking the truth, are a genious.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    You sir, if you are indeed a sir or speaking the truth, are a genious.
    Genius.* And this game doesn't really reward smart play. It rewards mastering its highly gamey, arbitrary systems and a lot of luck. A real crap game. So disappointing.