Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post
    Genius.* And this game doesn't really reward smart play. It rewards mastering its highly gamey, arbitrary systems and a lot of luck. A real crap game. So disappointing.
    Agree, its damn gamey,also a shitty rubberbanded Camera.
    But also entertaining,for one Playthrough at least.

I myself would have prefered to see someone improve on the Xcom: Apoc Gameplay (Realtime Mode) which has the most potential of all the Xcomoffspring.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Activated Node
    XCOM was great for one playthrough. Lasted me about 10 hours before I beat it on Classic. But I had zero desire to replay. Really was not expecting that.

It's some combination of the lack of real strategic choice, excessive random element, poor balancing of numerous structures (especially laboratories) and fighters, lack of varied environments, the small size of all the levels, and the stupid way the game forces you to inch your forces to avoid "discovering" too many clusters of enemies moping about the campfire.

Hate to say it, but Jake Solomon's a terrible designer. Good guy though.

Activated Node
    Maybe I'm just not used to the type of gameplay, but I found the difficulty of this game to be absolutely brutal. On the first mission after the tutorial half of my squad died. Subsequent to that, I can't seem to complete a mission without at least one squad member dying. I never knew what to spend my money on, projects take a little longer than I needed them to, and SINCE WHEN DOES 96% MISS!!! And get this, I'm only playing the damn thing on Normal difficulty. When I see people talk about how easy the game is, it shames me as a gamer. Then again, this is the first strategy game I've played in about 15 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by dspimoni View Post
    Maybe I'm just not used to the type of gameplay, but I found the difficulty of this game to be absolutely brutal. On the first mission after the tutorial half of my squad died. Subsequent to that, I can't seem to complete a mission without at least one squad member dying. I never knew what to spend my money on, projects take a little longer than I needed them to, and SINCE WHEN DOES 96% MISS!!! And get this, I'm only playing the damn thing on Normal difficulty. When I see people talk about how easy the game is, it shames me as a gamer. Then again, this is the first strategy game I've played in about 15 years.
    Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it eventually. After a while things click and you start playing a lot more competently. Don't worry too much about what a few people say on a message board, there are always some unbelievably good players of a game and there are always liars, and neither should really trouble you too much. The game is pretty tough at first but eventually you'll work out the good ideas.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by dspimoni View Post
    ...SINCE WHEN DOES 96% MISS!!!
    4% of the time, or just under 1 in 20 times. Not likely, but you'll definitely see it now and again.

To echo NathanH: threads on any genuinely difficult game get infested with posters talking about how they finished it in half an hour and never died once and got all the things. Some of them may even be telling the truth, but it's best to ignore them. XCOM is a hard game, and you'll need to learn thoughtful and careful execution, both in the field and with your base. Expect to do a restart or three.

My missions got a fair bit better when I learned to reveal a new part of the map with the first soldier of the turn. Then, when you encounter aliens you'll be able to set up with the rest of your squad to face them. Usually, set up overwatch and pull the leading soldier back. Hopefully when the aliens advance to meet you opportunity fire thins them out a bit.

Network Hub
    My first two games were Classic Ironman and I didn't last past the first couple of months. Finished the game on classic (non-Ironman, because teleporting enemies), and it was pretty fantastic. Heck, it's more than I can say for the original X-COM, which I've never finished. Haven't enjoyed turn based strategy this much in a while.

That said, I couldn't help think of all the ways this could be better.

1. Double the number of maps,
    2. Bring back base defence,
    3. Make weapon progression a little more varied, like increased accuracy with lasers, increased crit chance with ballistic and greatly increased damage with plasma, so there's more to the metagame than simply equipping soldiers with the newest thing you've found,
    4. An actual interception game
    5. A revamped abduction mechanic, with multiple skyrangers this time.

And lastly, get rid of the "pull" mechanic. It's terrible, and it breaks the game in uninteresting ways. Better yet to let enemies shoot from the fog of war with lowered accuracy, or something else that doesn't make the battlescape seem like an MMO.

I'm content with XCOM because X-COM was a tremendously complex game to redesign and it makes sense for them to focus on a few things first. I hope they do better with the inevitable (and anticipated) Firaxis Expansion Pack though.

Activated Node
    I really hate this version of this franchise. (Am i the only one?!)

It feels too dumbed down to feel like an XCOM game worth playing (No multiple base building or being invaded by aliens in home base, a maximum 6 man team, maps too small, just one speed for forwarding time on the geoscape.). Also, why didn't they jazz up the original music score? there is far less tension when searching the battlescape in the new XCOM.

I have already ditched this game and gone back to XCOM: UFO Defence. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot Point View Post

It feels too dumbed down to feel like an XCOM game worth playing (No multiple base building or being invaded by aliens in home base, a maximum 6 man team, maps too small, just one speed for forwarding time on the geoscape.). Also, why didn't they jazz up the original music score? there is far less tension when searching the battlescape in the new XCOM.

No, you're not the only one who thinks that way. Perhaps if you think of Enemy Unknown not as a remake of UFO Defence is might help. It's not really a remake, more like a tabletop-wargame adaptation of UFO Defence that has then been made inot a video game.

I started playing again yesterday the patched version, now I notice that aliens (sectoids and thinmen) sometimes make a 'call' during their turn as if they wanted to say, 'guys, they're here!'. I didn't notice that during my initial playthrough so I figure it was a patched-in behaviour. Do you guys know what they are exactly doing? Is it just for flavour?

I've had it several times while playing. I think that's what they do when they pass their action.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar

No offense to you dude, to each their own but I'm getting pretty tired of people slinging the words "dumbed down" around. That aside I can imagine you don't like it as much like you're used to, I've been in to the XCOM games and this was my first so I have a completely different approach. You need to understand that times change and so does the media, you can't expect an adaption or a remake/adaption to be exactly like its predecessor.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Activated Node
    I am sorry, but this franchise is very well regarded by the people who originally played it. To me, being one of said people, the soul has been stripped from the game. Sorry if that offends you in some way, but suck it up!

This new game reeks of console dumb down to suit the masses (to be later filled out with DLC). It is an insult to PC gamers who understand what made X-COM so great. (the micromanagement aspect)

I'm sure Firaxis are sorry if their game offends you in some way, but suck it up.

Or better still, don't, because there's nothing wrong with not liking the game. Nor is there anything wrong with liking it, which is why it's so weird that your main problem seems to be that other people like the game. Why do you even care?

I mean you seem to want PC gamers to be offended by a new game being inferior to an old one, yet not be offended by someone telling PC gamers, en masse, that they are tacitly responsible for insulting... PC gamers? Honestly this is so complex and cubist that it's impossible to keep up. Please make your next polemic more clear. You're just confusing us. We're very dumbed down, remember.
    Last edited by Gwilym; 07-12-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Activated Node
    What?

I said the game has been dumbed down, not the people playing it. But (as the saying goes) If the cap fits, wear it! :p

:D I always do

Network Hub
    What?

I said the game has been dumbed down, not the people playing it. But (as the saying goes) If the cap fits, wear it! :p
    I would argue that the game hasn't been dumbed down. The designers decided to make the strategic layer subservient to the tactical layer and to have every choice (or almost every choice) be of critical importance.

In the original X-Com the strategic layer was a lot more important, but the tactical layer wasn't nearly as good. You didn't face battle changing decisions with clear results every turn in the original.

In the new game making the choice between sprinting or overwatch, or taking a frag grenade or a medkit is of critical importance, and can very likely change the outcome of the battle. Whereas in the original game you'd just bring half your goddamn base along on any given battle, and you would rarely be forced into strong tactical decision because you had so much manpower.

The game is certainly different, but not representing design tenants that are nearly 22 years old is hardly reason to call it dumbed down.

This is the first time I've played X-Com for real. The last time ended up with me trying to get around fixing the scrolling problem in my first Terror Mission in the original before finally giving up. I'm not really far into the game and although the tutorial mission is annoyingly long, I quite like the gameplay. It's straight up TBS and I have a soft spot for these kinds of games. Oh, I thought I heard Optimus Prime when the council member spoke
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

I'm also not a huge fan of the game. Even taken as a stand-alone game with no ties to the original, it feels like there were just too many design shortcuts taken and it feels like a prototype and not a fully realised game. The strategic layer is simple and scripted, the tech tree is tiny and the scripted enemy placement and fixed mission layouts in missions really detract from the overall experience. I won't go into the lack of map variety.

My initial impression is "What the hell did they do for 3 years?"

My guess is that the design and programming team experimented with more complex designs but just weren't skilled enough to pull them off.

It is a pity because there is a good game in there which isn't the original X-Com.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    I'm also not a huge fan of the game. Even taken as a stand-alone game with no ties to the original, it feels like there were just too many design shortcuts taken and it feels like a prototype and not a fully realised game. The strategic layer is simple and scripted, the tech tree is tiny and the scripted enemy placement and fixed mission layouts in missions really detract from the overall experience. I won't go into the lack of map variety.

My initial impression is "What the hell did they do for 3 years?"

My guess is that the design and programming team experimented with more complex designs but just weren't skilled enough to pull them off.

It is a pity because there is a good game in there which isn't the original X-Com.
    Coherent much? And yes, I'm sure it was all due to lack of skill.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's quite coherent. "There is a good game in there" generally means that the game is being judged "not good, but would have been with some better decisions".