Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 09/10/2012 - Our very own ASR_AI

I was really tired and a bit sick so sorry if I wasn't the most exciting of hosts today. Anyway, we had an excellent run in Nightblind which played a lot different thanks to ASR_AI and then killed ourselves in a classic adversarial.

- Nightblind
    - Internecine (Zargabad)
    - Wideola (HQ-Version - testing)

It felt good to play Arma after a long break!

Nightblind - my first time playing this mission. I heard many stories about friendly fire here, but it seems we managed to avoid such incidents. I was the AAR of A2 and we did great, none of us died. It was an excellent mission.

Internecine - I was on the attacking side. Our clever use of a rush tactic meant that it was all over for me rather quickly.

Wideola - The horror.....the horror....
    Also known as Walter.

Nightblind
    "Red Fist" Armored element commander.

Had a good run this mission. Lots of tense moments with those mines, had to really creep forward slowly to avoid being blown up. Props to Engie team for a very effective clearing of mines. But we missed most of the fighting as we were lagging behind, sorry Charlie couldn't really support you. Also, that SPG, very lucky there, good reaction time by my driver. At the very last stretch of the mission, I thought that phew maybe all the armored units survived for once, but at literally the last second of the mission - the M113 gets blown up per ARPS tradition. Also I think we fired a tank shell a little too close to Alpha, so apologies if anyone was hurt :)

Internecine
    GUEFOR random grunt.
    We were waiting in the buildings for OPFOR, our genius plan was to shoot them when they all arrived in the village and throw grenades, well it didn't really work and we were horribly killed.

Wideola
    Alpha SL
    We disembarked the Chinook and went for our objective. I tried to keep it organised in a line formation which I think worked for a bit. But as we had to cross an open field to get to the objective barn, we were engaged. A lot of casualties, I ordered to rush to the barn for cover, then I wanted to assess how much guys I had left, and then.... my PC overheated :( Have no idea how the mission went, but judging by
    The horror.....the horror....
    I guess not so well.

Activated Node
    Nightblind

Bravo 2 FTL (I think)
    We were tasked with security on the right flank, and base of fire duty from the same flank.
    We did pretty well at first. I'm sorry jRides inherited the boring job (watch for our right flank). I ordered Zitron and (I'm sorry, i forgot who my AAR was. Please refresh my memory) from firing position to firing position, trying to cover Wolf's B1.
    At some point jRides finally get some action and spot a few enemies flanking us. We did eliminate the first group pretty quickly. Sadly, a few hundred meters later, same situation, but my blue team, otherwise busy covering the valley, couldn't shift fast enough. By the time they started looking at the right flank, it was raining SPGs, I was shot down several times, and jRides was fatally wounded.
    We left that firefight in a hurry, zitron and myself being the only survivors of the fireteam.
    Then i got shot in the face by a technical, who also did take our SL and at least one other soldier.
    Zitron made a fantastic job though, and finished the mission with a high score.

Internecine

The plan was simple. Rush. Nade. Shoot.
    Rush worked. Nade too.
    Then came the shooting.
    One dude in a small building was holding the place by blocking our movement. I was behind him and could see his head through a little window, but Arma just wouldn't allow me to stick my gun in it, so i just shot a good 50 rounds millimeters above his head in despair. Then somebody got bored and decided to grenade his ass. Mine too.

Wideola.
    Not much to tell here, though I would really like to have a more detailed feedback on what happened for you guys.
    As far as I can tell, you were engaged in the south by a total of three fireteams (plus some local farmers). I had another one waiting to ambush you on a reverse slope after that, but it seems you never made it that far.
    Around as much in the north, where the chinook decimated one by itself. Never saw you until the very end in the north.

There will be much thinking to do to make those missions really interesting, i guess, though i was a little surprised you got butchered so early (but there wasn't much of you either).

Quote Originally Posted by Halop View Post
    Wideola
    Alpha SL
    We disembarked the Chinook and went for our objective. I tried to keep it organised in a line formation which I think worked for a bit. But as we had to cross an open field to get to the objective barn, we were engaged. A lot of casualties, I ordered to rush to the barn for cover, then I wanted to assess how much guys I had left, and then.... my PC overheated :( Have no idea how the mission went, but judging by I guess not so well.
    I saw you lagging out. As soon as a bot took over, he was shot in the face.
    What was left of Alpha regrouped in the barn (under Wires, who received a double field promotion) and went around the Forest Of Doom. I guess the plan was too obvious for the new AI, as we were shot to pieces by enemies in the very same forest. We never made it to the next objective, I believe.
    I didn't see any enemy, and didn't fire a single shot, but I did revive our squad leader once. Go me!

It really felt good to play some ARMA again after such a long time.

Edit: On a side note, at the end of Wideola I wasn't actually dead, but bleeding out. So I survived both non-adversarial missions, which is really more than I expected!
    Last edited by Labbes; 11-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    I guess the plan was too obvious for the new AI
    Well mostly cause the AI was directed by Wolf at this location.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
    Well mostly cause the AI was directed by Wolf at this location.
    Oh. I completely forgot about that.
    I can now imagine Wolf sitting in his armchair, stroking his white cat, all the while thinking "They think they can outsmart me like that?"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I merely wanted to annoy you with those guys. If i recall correctly it was a single fireteam of 4, later supported by another of 4 :(

Black Mamba and I noticed that every single AI guarding caches decided to go hunting for you once you were spotted (we didn't have any control over those). This might a problem with the mission-side waypoints but it might be the best solution to remove all non-player controlled AI anyway.