Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

"Kata vs. Kata" -- a two-player hotseat fighting-game I made this past week

Good evening.
    I created this game this week (to try out some new programming stuff I discovered). I don't know what kind of game to call it! It's a simple 2d fighting game, but mixed with the sort of simultaneous execution of a game like Frozen Synapse -- so you can input a sequence of moves and see how (often bemusingly) it all shakes out. It's like those movies where the masterful fighters can see the next few seconds of the fight in their minds and plan it all out, except instead of a masterful fighter, it's just you, and you're a chump.

Here is a video of myself versus my wife!

You can, if you are so inclined, download it here (~3.5MB): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24065421/KataVsKata.zip

Normally I play where Player 2 averts their eyes while Player 1 enters a kata, so as not to gain an unfair advantage. However, it might be good fun to have Player 2 observe carefully, and see if they can devise a strategy to counteract what Player 1 is about to do.

If you try it (especially with two players, as I think it would be rather a let-down to play it alone), let me know what you think!

(I haven't figured out how to make Linux and Mac versions yet, but you could always download http://love2d.org and then download the KataVsKata.love file if you were willing to go through all that trouble =P)
    Last edited by Berzee; 09-12-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Looks like fun. When can we expect the kickstarter?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    oh, I thought this was an actual fighting game. Oh well, looks like silly fun for kids. A suggestion? I think this would work better as an asynchronous multiplayer facebook game. Unity has a flash compiler, would be great for you to re-write the game in that engine, maybe ad a few impact particle effects.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I can hardly tell where the multi-million dollar budget went. How are you expecting to profit off this? Have you considered adding Call of Duty-style unlocks or microtransactions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Looks like fun. When can we expect the kickstarter?
    Thanks ^_^ As soon as I've got the 300-page concept art sketchbook finalized as a top-tier reward, we should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    oh, I thought this was an actual fighting game. Oh well, looks like silly fun for kids. A suggestion? I think this would work better as an asynchronous multiplayer facebook game.
    "Actual" is in not hotseat? Or "actual" as in having more than three moves? =P My fighting game background is 90% Smash Brothers, so I have an affinity for simple controls. Now as to facebook, I have never installed a facebook game in my life and don't know if my self-respect could handle the ordeal of actually making one...
    but on the other hand, Unity does support Lua (which the game is written in already) (edit:wait...I does not support Lua...ne'ermind!) and it would be interesting to see how much of it could be ported over. Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    How are you expecting to profit off this? Have you considered adding Call of Duty-style unlocks or microtransactions?
    Profit = the joy on the face of the raggedy waif who finds this game and plays it with his friends on a rainy afternoon (the waif has a computer). But if you have any "sidegrades" to suggest (i.e. grenades, vehicles, console-specific unlockable characters) I am open to suggestions.
    Last edited by Berzee; 10-12-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Now as to facebook, I have never installed a facebook game in my life and don't know if my self-respect could handle the ordeal of actually making one...
    I am with you there, but I think your concept is the first one that actually feels like a viable facebook game for hardcore gamers. Good luck!
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen