Thread: Last Knight

Obscure Node

Last Knight

Hi RPS crowd,

I would like to introduce my game Last Knight to you.

Explained in short Last Knight is a Joust'em'up-Jump'n'Ride game.

Last Knight strives to bring back good old 3D Platformer gamplay of the PS1/PS2 era and it combines it with fast action arcade elements like the jousting and non stop riding where every obstacle can mean a instant death, which reminds of the mechanics of Shoot’em’up games. That all is set in a ever changing stylized fantasy world, it uses on the fly random world generation. Every impact is over the top ragdoll physics simulated. You will encounter a wide range of enemies as well as environments, furthermore there are several unique power ups and characters/horses to choose from.

Equipped with a powerful lance its in your hand to battle the Horned Bucket Heads. You will have to fight your way though different fantasy environments in which also frightening creatures are lurking, they all want to get you from your horse in the most painful manner (ragdoll physics included).
    You also have to navigate around obstacles, jump over them or destroy specific ones to avoid a painful death. Often you are confronted with deep abysses, rivers and other gaps that can only be overcome with a well timed jump. The world is randomly created as you play, the more you progress the more difficult the world gets. There is also a full-fledged story mode with assembled levels and story telling with some twists. Power ups and customization is also in the mix.

Check it out in action in the video:

Features:

• A full-fledged adventure in the story mode
    • Randomly generated world in the arcade mode (every game is different)
    • Various distinct enemy’s (each with their own behaviors)
    • Ragdoll physics
    • Jousting, platforming and navigating around obstacles gameplay
    • Quests System (per character)
    • Cutting edge graphics archived with the Unreal Engine
    • 6 different fantasy environment themes
    • 6 unique power ups (with upgrades and perks)
    • Customization
    • Knightmares
    • 3rd Person, First Person and Bird's Eye view modes
    • Mutators

Some links:
    IndieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/last-knight
    Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=92914705
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TocoGamescom

Last Knight is in development for almost 2 years now. Im basically making the game alone. I make a living doing freelance jobs and work on it depending on the time i have at hand. But I'm currently working hard on it to get it finally finished before the end of the year.
    Last edited by Davision; 20-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Obscure Node
    Here is a more recent video, it shows several world distortion effects I experimented with:

Also have some more effects in the making:
    Last edited by Davision; 12-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I think this game looks visually grand :D
    It looks like the kind of game that would also frustrate me The Most, but not if I get absorbed enough in obtaining extra powers.

Any chance of seeing a demo once the game is finished? =)

Edit: also, that second video is Wacky. The shaders, in particular the snake one, would be an excellent punishment for accidentally riding over the poison-spore-cloud-mushroom-trap (which I assume exists because videogames).
    Last edited by Berzee; 13-10-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

I would also like to +1 the request for a demo, as I really like the look of this game. It looks like an awesome throw-back to the ps1 era games, with coin collecting, platforming, and a nice art style.

Obscure Node
    @Berzee
    Thx, it shouldn't be that frustrating because the punishment for messing up is low, you will always get rewarded with the gold you picked up. In the arcade mode you can jump back in the saddle in the matter of a few seconds and the story mode has also checkpoints. A demo should be nice later but first I need to get the regular release done.
    I like the idea of the Mushroom poison triggering shader effects. I definately like to integrate shader effects more into the game in the long run. Could be bonus levels in which the Knight drinks too much ale or has a weird dream. Also nice should be slight effects for each of the power ups.

@Wheelz
    Yes! The Crash Bandicoot games were a huge inspiration! Im talking about the first 2 on the PS1, the originals, my favourite games of the PS1 era! :) They share some similarities but they are also much different. Also, no apples all coins! ;)

Here is a new screenshot, its from the story telling I worked on a lot this week:

The Princess with her pink unicorn is also playable and the rainbow bridge is also a part of the Unicorn Horn Rainbow Bridges power up.

The story it told with 3D scenes that are kind of like cinemagramm pictures, only a single thing is animated and that in a loop. You can also rotate a little and text shows what the characters say.
    Here is a gif of a story screen that shows it:

Network Hub
    I'm not really that keen on jousting games but after watching the clip, I find this game interesting. I like its 'endless play' feature and graphics representation is splendid, too.
    Looking forward to seeing a full demo once done. Great job so far!

Obscure Node
    Here is something new, the power ups in action:

Last Knight will release for PC and Mac in January. If you like to get to know more about the current state, here is the news post on IndieDB about it: http://www.indiedb.com/games/last-kn...r-ups-and-more

DX11 Tesselation test, will put that in, along with some graphics effects, as a extra for PC and there are also the World deformation Mutators that you can see in the first post, I will probably also build some bonus levels around those.

You can also check out the youtube advent calendar here:
    http://www.tocogames.com/ac
    Its a little different advent calendar.

Any chance of a demo?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    This looks absolutely fantastic, and exactly the kind of game I wish PC had more of.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    Gameplay looks pretty tight and the visuals are a delight. Those distortion effects you played around with were kind of mesmerizing. Looks good overall

Obscure Node
    Here is something recent, I made a motion comic, of the chapter 4 Cutscenes:

here is the full comic: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...705/1359212100

A demo is planned for some time after release. I'm still figuring out where I can release the actual game for PC and Mac since Steam Greenlight is currently not looking so promising.

Network Hub
    What's stopping you from selling it directly?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wait, you did it all ALONE? Are you some sort of magician or what?
    I love these motion comics as cutscenes and second sight powerup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    these motion comics are awesome! I'm not really interested in the game presented, but I love your work on the comics.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    What's stopping you from selling it directly?
    Over my own website? That would bring up the question of how I drive people to that website. If I would have some marketing budget I guess that could work but I don`t. Atleast I could release it on Desura though.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Wait, you did it all ALONE? Are you some sort of magician or what?
    I love these motion comics as cutscenes and second sight powerup.
    Yes, but there is no magic involved. I can tell you its just lots of work shaping the game, I could be a Blacksmith, forging the game. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    these motion comics are awesome! I'm not really interested in the game presented, but I love your work on the comics.
    thx :)

Btw, I'm currently working on Quest system, you will then be able to get quests for each character.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Sell it on your own website regardless of marketing budget, you don't have to get into bed with one particular distribution outlet. Word of mouth will net you some sales direct, and you get 100% of those sales. I wouldn't be surprised if you got some coverage from RPS, at the very least. This game is different, that makes it interesting and worth writing about.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    there is a update on the new quests system I mentioned before:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...705/1361281391

Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    Sell it on your own website regardless of marketing budget, you don't have to get into bed with one particular distribution outlet. Word of mouth will net you some sales direct, and you get 100% of those sales. I wouldn't be surprised if you got some coverage from RPS, at the very least. This game is different, that makes it interesting and worth writing about.
    Yea, well I will also set it up that it can be purchased on my website. Still, I'm sure the sales I could get over my own Website/shop thingy are only a tiny fraction of sales I could get from a established shop.

Obscure Node
    Worked on some rather fancy view mods, First Person view and Bird's Eye view variations:

Really long screenshot of the Bird's eye view mod:

http://www.tocogames.com/images/birdseyetiled.jpg

Bird's Eye view video and more on the greenlight page news (I can only include 1 video here):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...705/1363643041

Obscure Node
    this game looks amazing.
    Also the music is really cool.