Thread: AoE Clones?

Network Hub

AoE Clones?

As I've played AoE III for the umpteenth time, are there any good AoE clones out there? And I don't mean games like Empire : Total War...

P.S. I know about Starcraft, Warcraft, and the C&C games. But none of them have been able to match the feel of AoE games.

Thanks,
    DeathPig

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Are you aware of Rise of Nations? Not a "clone" per se, but certainly built with a lot of AoE principles in mind. I actually think it's a better game than any of them, and if you're looking for a well-done RTS that's similar you'd be wise to give it a try. Honestly, it's my favorite RTS of all time, and one of the few games that never leaves my hard drive.
    Last edited by vinraith; 24-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Surely the Empire Earth games are pretty close, seeing as they come from the AoE guy Rick Goodman.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    Rise of Nations was one that I spent many many hours playing... and I actually have Rise of Legends sitting on the desk in front of me at the moment begging me to open it and spend some time with it. ;P

Hmmm.. have you tried Imperium Romanium? That is quite similar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Asian Dynasties (the second AOE3 expansion which came out in 2007) was the last of the Age of Empires-ish games (and was itself an anachronism when it came out). Rise of Nations (2003) is, as Vinraith says, probably your best bet. Of modern RTS games, Sins of A Solar Empire: Rebellion comes closest, but it's still quite a different game.

I still play AOE3 regularly, because I don't think there is any other RTS game quite like it.

Network Hub
    Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is as close to AoE2 as you can get.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Surely the Empire Earth games are pretty close, seeing as they come from the AoE guy Rick Goodman.
    Yep Empire Earth is my go to AoE clone.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus