Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out why Deus Ex was the "TRUE GOTY". I liked Skyrim better. A lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Stuff about future publishing
    You missed PCFormat off that, which I distinctly remember certain journalists not too far from this forum working for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why Deus Ex was the "TRUE GOTY". I liked Skyrim better. A lot better.
    You know I was thinking that too, but I'm not sure either of them would have made GOTY (goaty? Always amuses me) in my opinion, both were arguably dumbed down sequals of better games. But then again I'm in the minority (being an individual I'm always in the minority, only drones are ever in the majority).
    Last edited by Feldspar; 11-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel- View Post
    for PC standard it would be even more mediocre.
    Could you please try and explain that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    All ? No.

Maybe you should take interest in awards given by gamers. For example xyzzy awards (interactive fiction only).
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I actually find the first hour or two of HR to be a pure slog. No special powers (and then having to choose between cloak and hacking).

And gameplay wise, I found that the game very much railroaded you into a stealthy (and probably non-lethal) approach for the most part due to the obscene number of "side paths" that are all insanely obvious. It is basically "Oh, here is the direct path. But look at this giant arrow pointing to a side route that will give you bonus XP!!"

But after you have spent a few piraxis points, the game does definitely become one of the best games of whatever year it came out in.

Skyrim on the other hand, while having the same pointless end-game that all TES games have (yes, even Daggerfall and Arena), at least makes you a viable character from level 1. You want to throw spells? You can. You want to be a rogue? You can. You want to punch lions to death? Feel free
    Last edited by gundato; 11-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    At a guess:
    Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I feel like I'm getting trolled or something. Am I getting trolled?
    Either that, or this thread has veered to "opinions == facts", in which case this thread might as well be nuked from the orbit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    there is nothing special about Halo. its same since 2001. same pew pew pew.

there is nothing special about Halo. its same since 2001. same pew pew pew.
    I think we should watch out, we have a master of argumentation here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Deus Ex Human Rev was my most underwhelming experience that year, and I'm never going to play it again. Really sick of people praising it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Deus Ex Human Rev was my most underwhelming experience that year, and I'm never going to play it again. Really sick of people praising it.
    Games like Deus Ex dont release every year. and it release decade after original Deus Ex.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Games like Deus Ex dont release every year. and it release decade after original Deus Ex.
    Whats your point?

I would rather get an awesome game every year (even two per year) than an above average game once a decade.

OH MAH GAWDZ!!! OUR OPINIONS DIFFER!! YOU ARE A CORPORATE SHILL!!
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    So I guess that terrible first person rehash of Syndicate qualifies for GOTY too then?

Network Hub
    And E.Y.E is miles better than human revolution. Hell, even the mod 2027 is superior

Network Hub
    So I guess that terrible first person rehash of Syndicate qualifies for GOTY too then?
    Theme =\= game design

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    If we simply assume that all games reviews are an arm of the marketing department of games publishers, then yeah, it's no longer an issue of corruption, but then there's also no reason ever to read games reviews.
    There's always entertainment value as a reason. Most game reviewers I like to read are better writers than journalists.

Not that it really excuses the shoddy job many of them do or the fact that they gladly act as the industry's mouthpiece. Though what horrifies me is that this complete lack of critical thinking isn't confined to gaming journalism. Reporters dealing with politics are rarely better and unlike game reviewers those people actually have a huge influence on the population. Gaming journalism is a joke, but at least it's a joke we can laugh at.

Banned
    This buthurt PC-Elitism over Halo still exists?

Yes it was going to be an amazing PC game ( and Mac before that) until Bungie got bought out by Microsoft.

If you claim Halo is a bad game you're a dope plain and simple. It was ahead of its time in so many ways. Even when it was released on PC much too late there still wasn't much ahead of it.

Man if you dislike Halo or see any of it as average you must just not like games, or be playing games from the future, on your quantum-core system.

Activated Node
    Going back on point I think the OP does have a valid point although im not sure on the delivery.

I often suspect that sites like IGN are taking money. Their opinions sometimes seem just a bit too onesided. Taking DA2 as an example. Whether you liked it or not I think its fair to say that enough people didnt like it that the game doesnt deserve "Classic" status. And yet IGN raved about it.

Even RPS who, for the most part, seem intent on giving an honest opinion make me wonder sometimes.

Most recently with X-COM. I am playing it now and it is quite good. Not great, but average to above average IMO. But the raving about how great the game, even though the raving was fairly well presented and objective (Such is the skill of the master writer) felt far more over the top than i felt.

I am just one person though and this doesnt mean RPS are taking money to say that X-COM is great. But it does sometimes make me wonder if a reviewer can be trusted. (Not that I ever take anyones word as gospel) From the lower end of the literary video game indistry like IGN to the more verbose and objective RPS, I feel that "corruption" isnt unthinkable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Follow the money.
    But Future Publishing, who are getting a drumming in this thread, are losing money hand-over-fist: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...g-profits-fall

And when was the last time you saw or ever heard about a loaded games journalist?

The whole system is screwed, that's for sure, but I always hate that people have in their mind this concept of games journos being given literal bribes to write good reviews.

It's far more complex than that, but mostly boils down to:
    • readers value early reviews over well-written ones
    • publishers like publications that go easy on them
    • publishers give review code to people they like first, and to people they don't like not at all
    • publications that get reviews in first see increase traffic and hence ad revenue

Seriously, I'm sure there are plenty of games writers out their ready and willing to sell out, but no-one's buying. It's not envelopes full of cash, it's far more insidious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariune View Post
    Their opinions sometimes seem just a bit too onesided.
    Because reviews are done by one person and so they probably will have one opinion on the game?