Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Upgrading an AMD CPU - value for money and likely issues...

So my PC isn't particularly high-end but I've been happy with it for 2+ years now. It's based on the venerable K10N78 motherboard and runs an AMD 245 (2.9Ghz 2 core) CPU with 4GB of RAM

Truth be told, there are times when it could use a boost tho. I've spent today encoding GBs of videos and it's been painful at time... I've checked and I'm OK on memory (for now, at least) - it's the CPU which could use a poke.

I have a few options because my Mobo takes a WIDE range of updates including (with a BIOS update) the latest 1055 and 1090 Phenoms - but they're pricey and I'd worry about the power/ and heat/PSU-required aspect in particular (tho I need a new PSU anyway as this 440W is heading for it's 5th birthday and a GPU upgrade is looming too)

A 965 Black Series (3.4Ghz 4 core) is only 85ish but it's a 125W CPU - I'm not sure which 245 I have but they run from 45-65W so that's a BIG step-up in power required/heat generated!? Perhaps sticking with a 95W-or-less might be better? - or should I just go the whole hog and get a 6 core monster :) :)

Also - I'm guessing I have a chance of ducking a W7 reinstall - I've seen an Amd->Amd upgrade work without software changes before (W7 boots - moans about needing updates - reboots and everything is peachy)??

p.s. someone suggested the 955 95W edition but that seems Asian-only so 125W seems a must!?
    Last edited by trjp; 18-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I have the 965BE and, whilst I can't say it's quiet, as a processor it has had no problems and performs well. I can't really comment on power, obviously, that's up to you. I also don't necessarily think hexacores are worth it at the moment, as even the higher end games' recommended specs for processors tend to say "any quad core" or a rough clock speed that's usually easily met by most quad-cores.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for that - a quick check suggests I have a 65W 245 (the 45W is the 245e) but that's still doubling the thermal output (and thus probably doubling the required input!?)

I've been lucky in that this PC runs cool with a stock cooler, 1 case fan and the PSU fan but I'd probably need to ramp that up I suspect!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    My set-up with cooling is similar (GPU has a built-in one), except I bought a heat-sink (a cheap one, maybe about 15) for the CPU. The heat-sink, as a thing as opposed to the particular one, came recommended by the person who helped me build my rig. Obviously it's a bit louder now, but I've had zero problems with its temperature, although I haven't bothered to OC it.