Thread: 3D Vision

3D Vision

Hi RPS folks, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with 3D Vision.
    I'm wondering about the appeal on the long term. In every review I've seen of it, the journos are always all "this is amazing I love it !!!" but I'm wondering if it stays interesting after the novelty has worn off ; if it's something you keep using all the time when you're gaming.

My situation is that my current screen stopped working so I'm looking at the options to replace it, and the 3D displays look like some pretty solid options.
    Is the expense worth it ?

Also I already have a Blu-ray player, so it could be used for movies too, though I haven't been impressed with what I've seen at the theaters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I have the ASUS VG236H monitor, which is bundled with the nVidia 3D vision kit.
    It's an amazing monitor. The colours are superb and the 120Hz refresh rate makes a huge difference. Simply dragging windows around the screen feels awesome. It's much easier on the eyes than 60Hz. If you're looking to buy a new monitor, get a 120hz one! This one's screen is glossy, but it shouldn't bother you if you place your desktop correctly.

The 3D kit is very easy to set up. The glasses come with a couple of nose pieces and are comfortable. I also wear corrective glasses and I have no problem wearing the 3D ones on top of them. They last surprisingly long too, about 40 hours until a new charge is needed IIRC. The software gets constantly updated. In the 9 months since I bought the kit it already had a couple of great upgrades, my favourite being 3D for non-fullscreen applications. I'm working at home and now I can easily jump in some windowed 3D Civilization when there's not much to do!

Hundreds of games have 3D support. The drivers come with an extensive list of games, rated by their 3D performance. There are also tips to improve it; when you start the game a small pop-up tells you to turn off bloom or whatever for the best experience. By the way, the performance is halved in every game. It will also take a couple of hours to get used to the effect, so it's better to start at gentle 3D settings.

The 3D Ready games are absurd. Just Cause 2 and Bulletstorm are my favourites. You can easily adjust and fine tune the 3D effect - depth, convergence, field of view etc. I set up Torchlight to pop out of the screen, it looked like a bunch of action figures came to life. For Just Cause 2, I made Rico to be exactly at the limit between popping out and being in the screen, and I get a huge adrenaline rush when debris or cars pass that limit and seem to jump right at me. Civ 5 looks like a tabletop game.

Even Fallout 3, which basically looks like shit, is improved by 3D. It's hard to explain how cool it is to see objects in 3D. The lamest Fallout rock becomes a point of interest. Empire: Total War is fucking amazing - moving the camera through thousands of highly detailed troops is something you have to see to believe how incredible it is. You suddenly grasp exactly how titanic the scale of that game is. Flying or freefalling in Just Cause 2 is also incredible. You can also judge distances much better. In the case of Call of Duty, playing multiplayer in 3D makes it easier to spot enemies among all the visual noise. Burnout Paradise in 3D is basically that wormhole sequence from 2001. Even games like Assassin's Creed, which have mediocre support, are worth checking out for a while.

I completed a bunch of 3D Ready games in this mode. I really can't stand playing Bulletstorm or Torchlight in 2D now. Some older games (like Timeshift) earned a 3D replay. For others I just activate it to fool around or out of curiosity. Due to constant driver updates and an increasing number of 3D Ready games, it's always an option.

3D movies can't be adjusted like the games, but you can fiddle with colour and brightness so you might get a better experience than in a cinema where the projector isn't properly calibrated. Also you can watch YouTube videos in 3D.

To wrap up this post: 120Hz monitors are worth it even if you won't use 3D. 3D is great when done properly and a pleasant curiosity even if the game doesn't properly support it. Some games are undeniably better looking in 3D. I don't regret my purchase, it'll provide good entertainment until autostereoscopic screens become the norm.

Thanks for your feedback.

I bit the bullet and bought the Acer GD245HQ.
    The only "detail" is that my current GPU is an HD5850, which is still quite good, so maybe I won't upgrade it right away.