Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Improve Dishonored graphics

Hi there, RPS chums!

After firing up Dishonored, I was a bit disappointed with the default graphics settings. Somehow the game didn't look as sharp and vibrant as it did in the trailers/screenshots I saw here on RPS.

I found this neat thread on the steam forums: clickie.
    Using a post-process effect injector called SweetFX (similar to other AA injectors like InjectFXAA, ...) and some settings I found here, I was able to change the in-game color palette to something quite more dramatic. For such a stealthy game, I really wanted the dark to be dark. Just fiddling with the in-game brightness didn't quite do the trick.

Using SweetFX is as easy as extracing the files to a game's directory and changing the settings in a text file. It's toggle-able using the scroll lock key. Performance hit is minimal.

Here is a screenshot comparison. Second screenshot is with SweetFX enabled. It might not be everyone's taste, but I found it different enough to post. Have fun!

(Screenshot is from the beginning of the first real mission, so it shouldn't be too spoiler-y)

withoutSweetFX.jpgwithSweetFX.jpg
    Last edited by Forceflow; 13-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.

I'll boil the thread down: use Kakkoii's dishonoredengine.ini (set to read only as game bug resets file on relaunch), use jimv2's sweetfx & nvidiainspector settings. Note that steam screenshots occur before postprocessing, so dont use that to evaluate results.

& what is with steam having a community forum accessible from the steam storefront and a separate forum accessible only through a browser?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I'll boil the thread down: use Kakkoii's dishonoredengine.ini (set to read only as game bug resets file on relaunch), use jimv2's sweetfx & nvidiainspector settings. Note that steam screenshots occur before postprocessing, so dont use that to evaluate results.

& what is with steam having a community forum accessible from the steam storefront and a separate forum accessible only through a browser?
    The in-steam one is still in beta technically, so I guess they haven't merged them yet or whatever they plan on doing.

Network Hub
    I think the PC version is a lot better than the console version. overall, i think the game's graphics is still impressive but then again i really just play so much video games.

The FXAA in Dishonored seems very weak to me. In some games it's fine, and I can see a small difference toggling it on and off in Dishonored, but mostly I see a lot of aliasing on object-highlight edges, stair steps, lamp posts, and so on. It's ugly enough to be distracting, and I haven't found a way to improve it. I didn't try the injectors yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The FXAA in Dishonored seems very weak to me. In some games it's fine, and I can see a small difference toggling it on and off in Dishonored, but mostly I see a lot of aliasing on object-highlight edges, stair steps, lamp posts, and so on. It's ugly enough to be distracting, and I haven't found a way to improve it. I didn't try the injectors yet though.
    Using the SMAA injector does fix the pretty weak AA, especially on highlighted objects like doors and stuff.

I'm quite happy with the Jimv2 and Kokkoli's settings, but I had to change ShadowDepthBias back tot he default of ShadowDepthBias=.012 because of shadow stripping on faces close up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    The in-steam one is still in beta technically, so I guess they haven't merged them yet or whatever they plan on doing.
    Makes sense. I just prefer having the forum link open my default browser instead of Steam's stripped down html engine.

Cool! I was definitely somewhat disappointed in the art direction of this game. Then again I'm disappointed in the art direction of most games. I could probably list off the top of my head stuff that I've liked, but at least this can make the attempt to rectify some of this.

I tried SweetFX. The SMAA is a nice improvement, but I still see a lot of stair-stepping and sparkling. Some things like the train tracks behind the Hound's Pit Pub are high frequency geometry that gets undersampled, which post-processing AA can't fix.

I like that the fake HDR in SweetFX cuts down on the washed-out-fog look, but Dishonored's default/recommended brightness is simply too high. With fake HDR at 1.2 and the 2nd brightness symbol not quite visible, it looks somewhat better.

I have used the Jimv2 and kokkoli settings and was pleased with the result...

The only issue I had was that the game didn't seem to like my SLi setup (microstutters) and once I had applied the sweet FX settings and other tweaks, my solo GTX570 wasn't quite up to maintaining a solid 60FPS at all times.

I got round the issue by:

1) Setting the SLi rendering to "Type 2 alternate frames" in the NVIDIA inspector and
    2) Turning on the "Bsmoothframerate" option in the .ini to "True" and then setting the min frame and max frame to 59 and 60 respectively.

This worked a treat and the thing flies smoothly locked at 60fps with VSync on and, if unlocked at around 120FPs.
    open-faced club sand wedge

Argh, please don't post threads with titles like "Improve Dishonored Graphics" when really all you're doing is changing color, contrast, brightness etc values. "Graphics" implies something like textures, models, or shaders - something to do with the engine. Please title things like this "Change Dishonored' palette" or "Make Dishonored's shadows darker". I know it's like 2 seconds out of my day but it's still kind of annoying because so many people do this and it's kind of a let-down. </rant> But on the subject of Dishonored, does anyone have any idea how the level loading times are so ridiculously fast? What did they do?

Network Hub
    Basically, it changes the gamma setting. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Wot tomeoftom said.

"Improve graphics" =!= "slightly shift the colour curve / tone of a game."
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Personally I think the vanilla watercolour style is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Wot tomeoftom said.

"Improve graphics" =!= "slightly shift the colour curve / tone of a game."
    The tweaks above to the .ini and Nspector improve/sharpen the textures at distance (LOD bias etc), improve shadow quality and resolution and drastically improve the in-game AA to all but remove jaggies and shimmering.

The sweet FX does mostly just change the colour (for the better IMHO) but it does also assist in the AA.

The settings i posted should help remove the slight stuttering and/or micro stutter under SLi.
    open-faced club sand wedge

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Personally I think the vanilla watercolour style is lovely.
    Exactly! I'm kind of flabbergasted / offended you'd even want to change anything about the game's visual presentation. The thing is overflowing with absolutely gorgeous imagery and architecture. Viktor Antonov is one of the greatest art directors I know - he also did Half Life 2 for chrissake. I mean, Solokov's house is the most amazing game architecture I've ever seen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I felt the same when when all those Skyrim injector thingies came out. They just upped the contrast and saturation. Subtle is not a dirty word.

Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    Argh, please don't post threads with titles like "Improve Dishonored Graphics" when really all you're doing is changing color, contrast, brightness etc values. "Graphics" implies something like textures, models, or shaders - something to do with the engine. Please title things like this "Change Dishonored' palette" or "Make Dishonored's shadows darker". I know it's like 2 seconds out of my day but it's still kind of annoying because so many people do this and it's kind of a let-down. </rant> But on the subject of Dishonored, does anyone have any idea how the level loading times are so ridiculously fast? What did they do?
    I am well aware of these differences, but I thought the overall term "graphics" was better suited for a wider audience.

Also, doing different sorts of anti-aliasing, for me, is part of "graphics".

And yes, I love the watercolor-style as well, but the overall "fog" that was present annoyed me, most certainly at long distances.
    Last edited by Forceflow; 15-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forceflow View Post
    Also, doing different sorts of anti-aliasing, for me, is part of "graphics".

And yes, I love the watercolor-style as well, but the overall "fog" that was present annoyed me, most certainly at long distances.
    Oh, ok - fair enough. They're both legitimate.