Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar

Any people in their late 20's/early 30's love RE4?

After quickly kicking the awful PC port to the curb back in 2009 (no, the HD patches didn't help and controls required at least 2 taskbar utilities to not be completely terrible), I got a copy of the Wii version, ripped it and started running the best version of this game possible on the latest Dolphin emulator. Using an HD patch as well.

After completing the first village level I have to say I'm a bit confused. THIS is the gold standard for the last console generation?

Everything about the game screams juvenile. From the characers' appearance and the way they act (seriously, Leon is basically Action Man without the orange clothes), to the paper thin plot and setting that is just an excuse to shoot things. The sense of atmosphere in say, Silent Hill 3 or Penumbra is non-existent here. The hilariously cheesy "scares" the game throws at you are basically the kind of gimmicks you'd find in an amusement park.

The reverence directed at this game has got me thinking: was this game released when a new generation of gamers were just starting to get their voices heard?

I understand this kind of subjective enthusiasm: I am convinced to this day that Metal Gear Solid is a peerless masterpiece (the game was available in the shops when I was 17).

I get the feeling that Resident Evil 4 is one of those well executed games where a younger audience would not look to closely at the campy/bad plot and characters, but would rather be overwhelmed/impressed by all the well executed game design aspects of the game.

Out of curiosity, any of you older gamers objectively consider Resident Evil 4 the best game you have played in your entire lives?
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

I was in my late 20's when I played it a few years ago. It certainly wasn't scary, the action gameplay was kind of rudimentary and stiff, and the characters were cheesy as hell. Yet, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I really liked it. It hooked me right away and kept my interest until the whole thing was over.
    Last edited by Henke; 17-10-2012 at 06:40 AM.

I'm 27, I liked RE4 a lot when it came out. In terms of cheese, story and writing it's no better or worse than any other game in the series.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm 27, I liked RE4 a lot when it came out. In terms of cheese, story and writing it's no better or worse than any other game in the series.
    I kind of stopped playing RE games when I was 16, the last RE game I had fond memories of was RE2. You're definitely right, an my fondness for the ridiculous plot/characters of the first two titles was mostly due to my age and where I was back then.

That's why I started the thread. I see that you two enjoyed the game but it didn't leave as lasting an impression as with those who are now in their early 20's.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I quite enjoyed it, though that may have been influenced by company (my housemate and I were playing turnabout whenever one of us died). I'd never played a RE game before, but I found it an enjoyable cheesy over the top bit of action (I'm 25 and played it when I was 22 I think).

One of the best games I've played? Far from it. Good slice of fun. Undoubtedly.

Looking at my post I think it's slightly misleading, suggesting that I've "grown out of" the likes of Resident Evil. That's not true, the only reason I didn't get RE5 is because from what I read it didn't sound up to much. RE4 was a hell of a lot of fun and if I went back and played it I suspect I'd enjoy it a lot again.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I played the first couple of hours of RE5 with a different friend, neither of us liked it and we'd both enjoyed 4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I only played Resident Evil 1 and 5, never really completed it though but I loved the jump scares the game had; those dogs jumping through the window at the start, my heart skipped a couple beats.

Resident evil 5 was fun with co-op.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I desperately tried to enjoy resi 4. I just attributed the "gta 4" review nonsense effect.

Reviewers get over excited? Give 10/10, then editors of other websites/magazines feel pressured to follow suit.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I liked RE4 and 5. RE4 more, though.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Network Hub
    I really enjoyed Re4. Not so much like the old Resident Evil games but I had a *lot* of fun managing the crowds with no bullets, dealing with this mob of murderous psychotics. Especially when the ones with the chainsaws come out....

As the game goes on I'd argue it actually gets less interesting and certainly it would have been nice to have more bits where you blockaded yourself in and held out for the best. But I could play RE4 just for the mercenaries mini-game, got perfect with all characters after hours and hours and hours of playing....

Though that said, if anyone says its the best game they've ever played they are clearly talking about the gameplay and nothing to do with the ridiculously overblown and nonsensical plot.

I liked RE4, and it played pretty well overall. Much of RE4 is homage set pieces, and they're fairly respectable for what they are. Some parts were better than others, some are genuinely cringe-worthy (especially Salazar). It's a GameCube game from 2005, so I don't know what you were expecting. Capcom isn't exactly a bastion of maturity (though Dragon's Dogma was refreshing). Some things are popular BECAUSE they're campy, and not in spite of it, but it's a fine line and awfully easy to fall on the wrong side of.

Metroid Prime, however, is still perhaps unsurpassed in its niche.

Activated Node
    Resident Evil 4 was the first Resident Evil title that I played from start to finish. I played a bit of the REmake and RE 0, but never finished them. The story was cheezy like a 90's action movie, but to be honest, that was what made it so fun. Leon is a likable protagonist, and it's absolutely hilarious that he seems to take the plot as seriously as most players would. And while I would probably never call the game scary, it was definitely tense. I never felt comfortable while playing the game, like I was in control. And whenever I heard a chainsaw revving up, I would straight up panic sometimes. It was not a masterpiece, but it was fun as hell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I remember borrowing PS2 and buying new copy of RE4 just to play it and i kinda liked it,i mean the only other RE game i played it then was RE1. But playing it several years ago i fucking hate the game,its one of the most overreated games from last gen..

Activated Node
    I would never recommend overreating video games, it's bad for digestion.

I love RE4! I turn 30 tomorrow, so assuming I still love it then, I'll get to have done both categories. You'll be set.

And of course it's juvenile. Ridiculously so. But I love the story. The writing is just so incredibly awful, but something about it cracks me up. Nearly every single line of dialogue has at least something slightly odd about it, and as a cumulative effect it starts to almost feel deliberate. I suspect the game's writers were not self-aware at all, but the translator just might be. But also probably wasn't. And the actors certainly weren't. But it always somehow feels like it's tiptoeing right next to parody. As far as I can tell, it's absolutely unique in the series for this - they're all cheesy as hell, but they're not this... odd.

The gameplay is fantastic though, and the environments and general atmosphere are awesome. They're the reason I play, but the cutscenes really do put a grin on my face. I'm sorry they spoil the game for you. I know it is supposed to be a horror game, but comedy-horror is a viable genre and one I don't mind games stumbling into, even if only by accident. I think I'm seriously actually saying "try to see the funny side" here.
    Last edited by Gwilym; 02-11-2012 at 11:37 AM.

It is SHIT and I HATE IT

RE4 was a game changer. By and large it regenerated a genre that most critics had dismissed as stale - while Resident Evil 2 et al had refined the mechanics, the only game adhering to the old aesthetic and offering something notably different was Silent Hill 2. It has been influential on practically every 3rd person action game released since, I even remember Epic saying it was very closely scrutinized during development of Gears of War.

As with most things like this it is somewhat difficult to enjoy by today's standards - at least to those free from nostalgia. Other games have borrowed the parts that worked and fixed those that were broken. The control system feels archaic, a nod toward earlier titles where the feeling of helplessness was at least partially induced due to the awkwardness of getting your character to do what was wanted - what was needed - for them to be safe.

Capcom weren't (and still aren't) willing to ditch the Resident Evil cheesiness and delivering a more 'adult' storyline - it remains pure comicbook and not a particularly intelligent nor convincing one. This is largely fine by me to be honest - cheese can be enjoyable and taking issue with this is more slanted toward the realms of personal taste than anything else. Coming into (any) Resident Evil game expecting intelligent horror is antithetical to its entire nature. The series has always been a themepark of horrors, replete with sideshows and highscores. There are some truly horrifying themes at the core of the Resident Evil lore but they're glossed over and never explored in depth.

I could spend all day deconstructing the game. It's true that some won't get the narrative aesthetic and bounce right off it. Which is a shame, because the mechanics and design of everything else is brilliant, and only improves as the game goes on (for example, by far the most unsettling enemy is only introduced toward the end). Thrusting you into a teeming and hostile village with little training, warning and ammo is one of the greatest baptisms of fire any opening scene in gaming has offered. The cognitive dissonance created by the presence of the shop keepers remains one of my favourite mindfucks in gaming - probably unsurpassed until the release of Spec Ops: The Line. Greetings, stranger! What are you buyin'?

And for the record, 29.