Secret objectives

Being somewhat new to solium I've never bothered with secret objectives.
    I understand what they are but not how much advantageous can they be.
    Do you lose prestige when you fail to achieve them? Is the prestige bonus from them really worth it?
    Are strategies around them?

Network Hub
    You lose 30 prestige for each secret objective you fail.

Base strategy I can think of would be to start with 3 or 4 prophecy which lets you draw more secret objectives and pick which one you want instead of being stuck with one - get 2 or 3 complimentary objectives and then you have a game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Being somewhat new to solium I've never bothered with secret objectives.
    I understand what they are but not how much advantageous can they be.
    Do you lose prestige when you fail to achieve them? Is the prestige bonus from them really worth it?
    Are strategies around them?
    I've seen games won by secret objectives, but if used poorly they could also cost you the game.

The big advantage of them in my opinion, is that they secretly score you prestige. Most other prestige in the game is common knowledge. As people will frequently pick on opponents who are winning on prestige (or close behind them if they themselves are winning), with secret objectives you can secure your win, whilst never appearing to be a significant threat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm not big on subtly. But secret objectives are how to go about it. Just remember when that bastard with a 12/8/8 unit draws legion of the black ring and sieges pandemonium your secret prestige ain't worth a damn.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Effective use of secret objectives requires two things:

1. Being able to draw complementary objectives.
    2. Having the muscle/resources to complete them.

I wouldn't ever draw objectives with low prophecy unless you're desperate. If you're drawing 3 at a time, you stand a good chance of being able to pick an objective that works with your current stats, or targets a PoP near your territory. If you're drawing one at a time you're taking pot luck, and might end up with something very difficult.

I've never tried a build designed to draw objectives from the start, though its certainly possible. I prefer them as a way of taking a subtle lead without making myself a target for people to gang up on. Get established, get yourself in a strong position for the mid game before the real warfare starts. Then draw a couple of objectives and use them to plan your strategy.

Network Hub
    It's probably a bad idea to draw them early until you can pick just the one from three. In my experience, going far into prophecy means you don't have much in the way of military might. Most of the objectives I've drawn are of the destroy/capture variety and they're impossible to achieve if you're not prepared. You need the option of picking a good one.

That said, if you want to start early and dedicate yourself to it you can always force yourself to discard an objective you won't meet once you get to 5(?) in Prophecy.

Network Hub
    I want to like them, but i'm going to lose one of my games, even though I"m doing well in it because of Secret objectives. I thought i Had most of the bases covered, and had 3 to pick from, but all bad ones came up, and I'm ending the game down some serious points now.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage4u View Post
    I want to like them, but i'm going to lose one of my games, even though I"m doing well in it because of Secret objectives. I thought i Had most of the bases covered, and had 3 to pick from, but all bad ones came up, and I'm ending the game down some serious points now.
    If you've got the time to get your power up high enough you can discard those objectives.

Network Hub
    Sorry for throwing a dumb question, but how is that possible to get rid of these objectives?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    Sorry for throwing a dumb question, but how is that possible to get rid of these objectives?
    A spell prophecy 5 or 6 let's you cast.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/