Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Obscure Node
    The best PC specification is to purcahse i just recommend you that you should purcahse this PC ...
    Intel Core to Due with ....
    3.00 ghz processor..
    250 GB HDD...
    2 GB Ram memory...
    Super Drive...
    and with 965 sata motherboard this is the best OC specification for home use and also in office use in my point of view...

Last edited by Nathan; 11-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Obscure Node
    In the spirit of spunking a load of money away on a new computer in January, opinions on this proposed build would be appreciated:

Motherboard - Asus P8B75-V
    CPU - Intel Core i5-3450S
    PSU - OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 600W
    Graphics Card - 2GB XFX Radeon HD 7870 Double Dissipation Edition
    Memory - Corsair Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3
    SSD - Crucial 128GB m4
    HDD - Seagate 1TB Barracuda
    Case - Fractal Design Define R4
    Sound Card - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD
    Optical Drive - LG 10x Blu-ray Writer

Any glaring errors or ticking time bombs there? The sound card might seem extravagant but I do need the rca input/output - I have an Audiophile 2496 in my current build but it has been doing my head in so I thought I'd make a change.

Anyway, any thoughts before I take the plunge would be greatly appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    I would suggest a different processor. The 3450S is a power-saving processor, which reduces performance. A Core i5-3350P will give a bit more performance and costs less. A Core i5-3470 will give even more performance, and costs about the same as the 3450S.

I would also consider a different power supply. The ModXStream series is acceptable in terms of quality, but only just. Your system won't be sucking down lots of power, so you can go a little lower with the wattage and get a bit more quality instead, without breaking the budget. A good option at Dabs would be the Corsair TX550M. Which, by the way, actually has more amps on the 12V rail than the 600W ModXStream, making it a stronger power supply where it matters.

The rest looks solid. The SSD is on the older, slightly slower end of the spectrum, but it is known for great reliability. Could perhaps save a few quid on the memory. That's about it.

Obscure Node
    Cheers for that, especially on the PSU. I think I was intending to get one of the cpu's you suggested, however after weeks of looking stuff up and comparing prices my eyes have stopped being able to tell the difference between their names and another ended up in my basket. They should call them something more exciting and easily differentiable. Or maybe I should just get my eyes tested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Cheers for that, especially on the PSU. I think I was intending to get one of the cpu's you suggested, however after weeks of looking stuff up and comparing prices my eyes have stopped being able to tell the difference between their names and another ended up in my basket. They should call them something more exciting and easily differentiable. Or maybe I should just get my eyes tested.
    I know this feeling - I've spent 4 weeks now trawling the web for lowish-priced laptops (new or used) and I have an encyclopedia of performance specs for different mobile chipsets and ZERO idea of which I want/need/should buy :)

I was going to suggest you opt for a bigger hard drive, but then I noticed I'd only filled half a Tb on my 2Tb drive, so maybe not, but then again it's not a great increase in price and the only time you do notice disk space is when you run out.