Proper Game Journalism!

Feel free to lock this thread if necessary as well, I just wanted to know if there was any flack for hating on the Orcs & Men, and the advertising of it at the same time? I remember Penny-Arcade had some problems with that, but I think they just got different advertisers. Is it an issue at all?

Aside from that: I love RPS because it is biased, and it does its job better than any other PC games information website I can think of. Please continue.

Yours truly,
    Quanta.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

The advertising is from Eurogamer, isn't it? Do the RPS bods get much of a say in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    The advertising is from Eurogamer, isn't it? Do the RPS bods get much of a say in it?
    I would guess not, but they might have gotten some fallout, since RPS has turned into quite a factor in the reviewing world.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I think that the worst that could happen with bad reviews for advertised games is that the RPS members will not be invited to star as NPC's in the next Mass Effect game.

Oh, sorry, was thinking about someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    It's the advertisers who choose where to put their ads, not the other way around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I would guess not, but they might have gotten some fallout, since RPS has turned into quite a factor in the reviewing world.
    Unless it impacts metacritic it really doesn't matter.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Unless it impacts metacritic it really doesn't matter.
    Which is the saddest thing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I remember Penny-Arcade had some problems with that, but I think they just got different advertisers.
    It happened with the new PoP, the one that looked like a nu-metal singer. They run the ads because they liked the 2003 remake and thought the second one was gonna be good two, instead of a God of War cashgrab.

Network Hub
    I wouldn't imagine hating on Orcs and Men would have much of a consequence, at the simplest level of it's Cyanide that's putting it out, not EA or Activision.

Sidenote, because of the title, it's important to remember that games reviewing is not games journalism, and that there are good people in bad companies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    Sidenote, because of the title, it's important to remember that games reviewing is not games journalism, and that there are good people in bad companies.
    ^Truth. As ever though the relentless desire by some people to attempt boil everything down to fixed certainties however remains undiminished.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 01-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Network Hub
    It's been mentioned by John and I think some other folks of RPS many times that RPS is partnered with Eurogamer for advertisements. The same guys that do ads for Eurogamers do the ads for RPS. RPS has the right to take down any ads they want if they find them to be offensive, etc, but other than that RPS doesn't even know what ads are going to go up on their site day-to-day.

This gives them full freedom to "shit all over" (so to say) a game even if it's posed in the ad right there in the background. You couldn't do that on any other site.

Still, Id like to know if Eurogamer had to endure something over this especially since that silly business with their reviewers recently.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    It's the advertisers who choose where to put their ads, not the other way around.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's a two-way street. As an advertiser, I can't just point at a webpage and say "I want my banner there" and as a company providing ad space I can say "I want you to provide ads, but nothing on this subject" because they're a competitor or I find the subject matter distasteful or somesuch.

Like I say, never been in a position such as would provide me with strong insight, but that was always my interpretation.

On another note: did he hate it? I read it as him saying the game fell short of the rather large potential it had (as Cyanide games tend to do) and being a bit sad about it. If that's hate then I'm out of touch.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Still, Id like to know if Eurogamer had to endure something over this especially since that silly business with their reviewers recently.
    The tone of RPS' comments about the matter would suggest to me that if Eurogamer did receive any criticism from Cyanide Studios, then RPS would have remained completely unaware of it. From Eurogamer's perspective, I'd imagine that if they did receive any flack over it then they'd be able to make it very clear that it wouldn't be passed on to RPS and that those complaining would be wasting their time.

yeah, RPS is Doing It Right in terms of keeping the journalism/review side and the advertising side of the business completely separate. Having Eurogamer handle the advertising (aside from keeping the right to veto offensive ads) means that the Hivemind cannot be influenced by whether a game is being promoted on tie site when writing a review, as they do not know what will be advertised.

I do also like Penny Arcade's policy of only showing ads for games they like. It's the same priority of integrity over finances, just from a different angle. They don't have to worry about hating on a game they're advertising, as even accepting money to advertise a game means they've already decided they like it.