So, is anyone else having problems with Steam right now?

As I've already started a slightly alarmist thread here once I'll put this carefully this time:

I was just trying the 'rescue the gnome'-achievement in L4D2 when Steam kicked me out and crashed. Well, I was in chapter 4, so annoying but shit happens I guess.
    After restarting Steam, it loads a seemingly large update and now it refuses to connect. Well, bad luck, connection problems happen, right?
    So I try offline mode.

Nothing, same problem: "Can't connect to Steam network".

According to the Steam-forums, this seems to affect quite a number of people, so it doesn't seem to be a problem on my side.

I guess they'll eventually fix it (they always do), but I find the fact that not even offline-mode is working a bit troubling as this was always my biggest argument *for* Steam regarding DRM-concepts.

So: is anyone else experiencing problems? And does anyone know how I could access my games now?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I had the same problem last week. Did you try deleting/moving/renaming your ClientRegistry.blob?

This solved the problem for me (though Steam took about 15 mins to update afterward)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Been ok here all evening, tried offline mode just now and that seems to work as well.

With large sales like this, steam is usually quite slow to respond due to overloaded servers. This can cause all sorts of issues (such as disconnections from steam, slow network speeds etc).

@Smashbox: I'll that..although this didn't help others on the forums.
    I just saw someone from Valve reply in their forums, they are working on a fix, and it only seems to apply to a beta-version.

So it seems that at some point in the past I must have opted in for the Steam-betas and forgot about it, I'll need to check that once it works again.

Update: while I was typing, Steam updated again (after deleting the file), but still nothing.

I'm sure they will fix it, it's just this helpless feeling of being out of control. All those games begging to be played just sitting there..

[edit]
    @GraveyardJimmy: Yeah, I know. But in those times, offline-mode always worked quite nicely.

I dont know if anyone can use this info, but for me, steam has been "denying" to download games due to server overload. Must be the summer camp thing.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I dont know if anyone can use this info, but for me, steam has been "denying" to download games due to server overload. Must be the summer camp thing.
    It must be the summer camp frenzy. My steam download speeds have been outrageously slow the past few days.

I managed to lose my password just after the sale started. It's almost been a week waiting as support mails me a new password each day... none of which have worked. I had to make a new account to gift myself some of the daily deals.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I always imagine the millions of people doing exactly the same thing as I'm doing when the timer hits zero: click on refresh. Click again and again until the new deals finally load. This is a nice thought in a way..except the slow loading-times it causes.

(although of course it's very silly..the deals will still be there two hours later, but still...).