[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 23rd October: Helicopters In The Skies

This evening we enjoyed a playercount somewhere above 30, fighting bravely both in Takistan and Chernarus. The missions were:
    • Roundabout SE: victory was achieved through grueling battle. This was particularly impressive because the Second Edition of this mission was intended to be a challenge for about twice our numbers.
    • Goose Chase: OPFOR split in two with the hostages in tow, so the fighting was split in half as well, on both sides of Chernarus. Both hostages died shortly after coming into contact with their rescuers. Don't let this discourage any future hostages though!
    • Poctalon: as last mission of the official session, the intel recovery attempt started by elements forming a circle around the potential crash area and moving in. Once the wreck was spotted, fireteams moved in on the site. After some heavy fighting the enemy eventually gave up, thus allowing players to secure the laptop and declare mission success.
    • Post-session testing: Walkyries Ride

Thanks for all participants, hopefully we'll see you again on Sunday.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Activated Node
    Roundabout:
    Anti-Material Sniper.
    We spent most of our time in the beginning, driving around the AO and spotting stuff. Then command went silent, so I figured nobody would notice if I started shooting people. I only had 10 rounds anyway. So I took out a few machineguns, and my assistant secured an enemy sniper rifle for further fighting. But alas I was shot by a treacherous enemy who was hiding 5 meters away from us the entire time. My brave assistant died immediately. I hope he didn't feel the pain. Bravo came to the rescue, but some poor guy who had just enlisted to evade a miserable life in some takistani slum stole my spare rifle.
    I looted an AK a shot a lot of dudes from behind a rock. Was fun, but I was not really aware of what the global plan was. Just shot people.

Goose Chase
    A3 lead, Alpha Squad Pilot.
    That mission, as expected, was a lot of fun. At some point my trusted gunner happened to meet a bullet that was flying alongside us. While I was flying out of the battlefield to land and fix him up, I was ordered to move to a new LZ asap to pick up A1. Which I did. Damn it.
    I got there a good 5 minutes before A1, and was stupid enough to stay there even though I knew we were sitting ducks. Had my crew chief watch for those houses to our left, but good Fer happened to be a sneaky bastard and passed unseen. Last thing went through my head was one of his bullets.

Poctalon:
    B1 AR
    Mostly uneventful. We found the big plume of smoke, entered the forest, shot up a few dudes, lost Harakka to the unvisible enemy trained by the VC, were ordered to get to tha choppa and patrol.

Walkyries Ride:
    What was intended to be a more relaxed-slash-stupid mission turned out to be... exactly that. Was fun for me, even though a few fixes are necessary (that sound). I'll open a new thread regarding this one. Just so you guys know, the SAM site won't hit you if you fly low. But I mean, really low. Like under 5 meters above the sea.
    Edit: Well actually no. I justed this again and it's not the case anymore. I might have moved it while testing, and messed it up. You guys, were actually doomed.
    Last edited by Black Mamba; 23-10-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Obscure Node
    Tonight was tons of fun! Thanks again to all the folks putting in the hard work to keep it all organised.

Roundabout: Alpha-2 Fireteam Leader. We were tasked to destroy 8 machinegun nests and other bad things nestled into a valley, meeting up on the east side of the AO. Alpha crested the ridge and started taking fire from pretty much everything in the valley, resulting in 2 casualties in my FT. However after a vodnik buzzing about on the slope below us had been blasted, we were able to commandeer it for great victory, covering the rest of alpha squad as we cleared out the south-eastern MG nests. jRides proved an excellent driver/spotter, with myself proving a rather less adept gunner as I managed to tag Fer with (thankfully non-lethal) friendly fire as we crested a ridge. Sorry!

Meanwhile Bravo was flanking around on the North side of the AO, with both squads eventually able to converge on the central lake and declare the mission a success.

Goose Chase: BLUFOR Commander. With OPFOR attempting to take two guarded hostages from the center of the map to Russian camps on the outside, we had to rely on approximate tracking-signal locations to stop them. We started by moving to the Westof the center to secure a couple of vehicle-camps, with Bravo only 1 FT-strong, and Alpha-3 FT running two blackhawks.

The pings soon showed us that the hostages had split up, with one moving east and one west. Alpha squad hounded the western group relentlessly, making a couple of helicopter trips to cut them off before finally digging in just outside the westernmost Russian camp. During the enemy's final push into the camp, alpha was able to secure their hostage, but sadly he was blown away by the bad guys before he could be extracted.

Meanwhile Bravo and their blackhawk were being led on a merry chase by the eastern group, who broke south to secure vehicles. Several breakaway OPFOR groups were able to bamboozle us with cunning distractions, as well as reducing the chopper to red status in two areas using heavy MG fire, which the door-gunners returned. Meanwhile the hostage group starting heading towards the Three Valleys area on the east coast, while Alpha hopped over the map to reinforce the final camp along with bravo.

Alpha and Bravo formed a screen that was able to keep the remaining OPFOR mostly penned into the forests, closely watched by the bravo chopper, with fierce engagement until the second hostage was finally able to break away and join bravo. However, bravo chopper was engaged by alpha's chopper, which had been purloined by the enemy, resulting in a glorious blaze of fire and despair as we attempted to take off, until the last hostage finally took a bullet to the face through the chopper window.

I had tons of fun with this one -- alpha did an excellent job of keeping themselves in the fight and, with Bravo also able to keep pressure on the enemy despite their low numbers, using excellent mobility. The pilots did a great job too, ensuring the sound of rotors was never far from OPFOR's ears while providing effective transport and some door-gunner suppression. The pings were working properly unlike last time, and kept us on OPFOR's tail while still giving them room to trick and outmaneuver us.

Poctalon: Alpha Squad-leader. A fairly straightforward but well-executed mission, two full-strength squads and two blackhawks were tasked with securing valuable data from a crashed chopper. With Alpha and Bravo landing on opposite sides of the AO, we moved quickly and effectively across hilly, forested terrain, clamping in on either side of enemy forces in the center and neutralizing them handily. A tense few minutes of downloading followed, with a single rocket being fired at one of our choppers only for the perpetrators to disappear into the mist. The lack of counterattack (possibly due to a mis-firing trigger?) signalled the end of a textbook mission.

Network Hub
    Fantastic Session. Every mission was fun; especially the hostage one.

Roundabout

Bravo Squad Lead. Got into our transport truck and... died.

Joined back in 10 minutes later as a JIP, stole an enemy MG emplacement, lit up the town, then there was a period of people getting shot as we waiting for instructions. When they finally came, the mission ended.

Goose Chase

Hostage
    Brilliant mission. I played it by the rules and was pretty subtle early on - standing just out of cover in my white lab suit, Dragging Coat out of position - but once we were engaged by BLUFOR I started to run off in completely the wrong direction, did my best to waste time until BLU managed to track us down again - which they did. My guard was killed, and I ran towards voices, shouting 'America, America!' until I found myself face to face with another Opfor. He was promptly shot, I got into the extract chopper and waited patiently for extract until Fer shot through the side door and into the cockpit from 400M away, killing me instantly.

Thorough enjoyed this one. I'd like to play it again, but with someone else having a go at hostage (who isn't iceraiser)

Poctalon

Bravo squad lead.

Sent my squads to do some searching, one of them found the chopper, we moved up north and began to close in, until I lost a whole fireteam in a matter of seconds. B1 went up in the air to do some scouting, B3 had a picnic, mission got called due to lack of things to shoot at.

Walkyries Ride

As Indy commander, I decided to position one hostage in the rocky forest area, so if he tried to run away he'd swiftly break his legs and/or got swallowed by the inanimate rock-face. Unfortunately this hostage was IceRaiser, and by the time we'd finally convinced him to leave the prison we'd been the victims of a horrific suicide bomb attack from the enemy's air force.

After a lot of shooting and running around I decided the mission was void and launched a GP at the rest of my team sitting in their 5mph boat. opfor joined in and flew a whole helicopter into our little gathering.

Mission would be good if taken seriously, but replacing the helos with a few littlebirds so squads can get in low and land on the northern part of the island may be an improvement.

Obscure Node
    Just as feedback, I wasn't super-happy to find out our sophistimacated blackhawk had been somehow hijacked by a bunch of terrorists -- as harakka(?) noted, it wasn't quite in the spirit of the mission. However, it did make for a dramatic helicopter-to-helicopter dogfight above a climactic shootout and hostage escape, and we did abandon half of OPFOR on the far side of the map with no transport, so it seems fair enough really?

Also I'm hardly one to talk, since I did steal the enemy vodnik in Roundabout, possibly contributing to the excessive easiness in the latter half of the mission. Maybe we could get some clarification on exactly what, if anything, is kosher in this regard.

Oh, and one further musing -- I was flying as spotter in one of the blackhawks during Goose Chase, and with all the trees it was almost impossible to catch any sign of the hostages, even though one of them said they had frequently been waving at us. There's not necessarily anything to be done about that, but I wonder if it might add a bit of tension to the guard-hostage dynamic if they had some kind of extra way to make themselves known. Maybe a single road-flare or something? Anyway, just a thought.
    Last edited by Dogface; 23-10-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Obscure Node
    Roundabout: Alpha 2 AR. (I think. It could have been alpha 3)

Took a nice truck ride through a valley before being told to hop out and shoot people in the other valley. Being thoroughly confused I promptly got myself shot. Though In my spare time as a spectator I finally learned that the spectator script has some nifty features!

Goose Chase: Blufor Alpha 3 Rifleman (AT), Bravo Squad pilot

Dogface, Issus, and occasionally Bravo squad can testify to my horrible flying. Thankfully though, I didn't crash. It's pretty clear though that I need much more practice time on the non-ACE choppers. We carted bravo around from LZ to LZ while they searched around for the enemy, between that we spent a lot of time patrolling and scouting. I couldn't see much from the cockpit, but thankfully my gunners Issus and sometimes Dogface where able to spot things as needed. I'm told that one of the hostages was waving us down for most of the mission but I never saw him at all. At some point the other helicopter abandoned ship and left it sitting around in the forrest, leaving it for the enemy to play with, witch resulted in a really odd dogfight with two transport helos. After Alpha and Bravo grouped up and found the hostage I went in to attempt a quick pickup of them, but was promptly shot the second the hostage was in and I was ready to take off.

Poctalon:HQ Medic

I spent much of the first half of the mission trekking through the woods with the Bravo squad and the Commander. When Bravo finally took fire I was able to patch one person up, though everyone else seemed to be DRT with no chance of saving them. We got to the heli wreck, activated the download, then sat there for a few minutes with no contacts, and no news of how the progress on the computer was going. Hosts called the mission soon after.

Walkyries Ride: Blufor Alpha 1 FTL

My fear of leading my own team was quickly replaced by fits of giggles as everyone piled into their own chopper to head over to the hostage island in formation. After everyone took off and started on their way, I was quickly taken out by a friendly helicopter who came up underneath me and knocked me in the tail, causing me to explode. Then most of the other helos where quickly taken out by SAMs with only about 4 or 5 Bluforce members actually making it to the island intact. They where soon shot, with the last living member of the hostage rescue team deciding to plow his helo straight into the hostage takers and hostages alike. He missed, instead hitting a house.

Forgive my crap editing skills. I also cut most of the spectating as I was usually not at a good angel for anything interesting.
    Last edited by Macaco; 24-10-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: adding video

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    Just as feedback, I wasn't super-happy to find out our sophistimacated blackhawk had been somehow hijacked by a bunch of terrorists -- as harakka(?) noted, it wasn't quite in the spirit of the mission. ... Also I'm hardly one to talk, since I did steal the enemy vodnik in Roundabout, possibly contributing to the excessive easiness in the latter half of the mission. Maybe we could get some clarification on exactly what, if anything, is kosher in this regard.
    The approach to enemy assets and vehicles is part common sense and part courtesy towards the CO:

a) The common sense part is easy: Jeeps, trucks and straightforward weapon systems (e.g. a KORD) are things most troops could be expected to know how to use already (or work out quickly). IFVs, Tank and things that fly? Not so much!

b) Passed the common sense test? Cool. Now ask your element leader, and they should check with the CO/DC if the asset you're about to pick up / drive is going to fundamentally change the nature of your element. You may want to become light cavalry, but the CO may have other plans for you. Like a attending a piano recital.

IIRC, Dogface, you asked me (ASL, and the effective CO at the time) about the Vodnik, and I agreed.

Roundabout: Bravo 2 FTL

Even though squad leader Specialsoup died under mysterious circumstances en route to the operations zone, under Halop's capable guidance, things went fairly well on Bravo's first assault on the town. We peaked over the ridge line on the eastern side of town and rained down bullets on the infantry below.

However, on the second half of our offensive attacking from the north side of town, Halop dropped out of consciousness, leaving me in command of the squad (I chose Bravo 2 FTL to avoid this sort of thing from happening), and things quickly went downhill from there. The minute we broke cover, the enemy let us have it, and what followed was a cycle of charging, retreating, and healing up, with Fer politely asking when we'd be ready to begin our assault while I bleed everywhere on the ground. As we were gearing up for a change of tack, victory was declared! I'd like to think our constant annoyance of the enemy allowed Alpha to sneak up and take them out with a minimum of fuss, even if it isn't true.

Goose Chase: Blufor Bravo 1 AR

This mission was a blast. Bravo was essentially a semi-autonomous black ops team hunting the eastern Opfor team holding Aido hostage, ranging over hills, stalking our enemies, setting ambushes, and jumping out of helicopters (excellent transportation support provided by Macaco) We didn't even come across any enemies during that time, and it was still really fun.

Near the end, things took a turn for the serious. During one of our helicopter jaunts, Kefirz was shot by enemies from the ground, leaving our FTL Wires, Mugen, and myself left, with OPfor getting dangerously close to a Russian base on the east coast. We set up an ambush at the triple crossroads just outside the base, but Alpha was able to move in and engage the enemy before the latter reached us. When it was clear their advance had ground to a halt, we moved in to help, running up a forested hill south of the town where all the fighting was taking place.

Aido the hostage ran across us in a clearing on top of the hill, and we called down Macaco for helicopter evac. As he landed and we were running towards him, the enemy helicopter popped up over the crest and strafed us, killing Macaco and Mugen. Wires jumped in the pilot's seat with Aido at his side, and while they were taking off, I stayed on the ground and used my machinegun for the first time this mission, pumping round after round into the enemy helicopter in a feeble attempt to take out the pilot or at least drive it away. Alas, the efforts were in vain: the enemy helicopter pressed its attack, and one of its bullets lodged firmly in Aido's brain, and both sides went home with a loss.

Poctalon: Alpha 2 Rifleman/AT

A pleasant walk through the woods, not at all the curb-stomping the AI usually gives us in these types of missions. I didn't even need to bring my gun!

Walkyries Ride: OPfor commander

..:"Wow, that's a lot of helicopters."
    Stranglove: "Yes, quite a few."
    ..:"I count at least nine. How many men are under my command again?"
    Stranglove: "Nine."
    ..:"You don't say."

Edit: Added strategically placed paragraph breaks.

Obscure Node
    Roundabout SE:
    Woke up at 8am, which was half way through this mission, so I completely missed out on it.

Video Playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz

Goose Chase:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Dk7...ure=plpp_video
    Took on the role of Guard with SpecialSoup as my very civil but sneaky hostage. This was my first attempt at being a guard, and personally I found it a challenge to stick to the role and keep control of the Hostage. We moved through the forest towards the west safezone and took fire from what I now know to be BLUFOR's Alpha.
    We came SO close, so very close to victory, but my hostage had lead me slowly towards the enemy. As I had figured he was doing throughout the mission. So I was promptly shot as I floundered and the hostage escaped.
    This was a very fun mission, the numbers worked well and the choppers meant that Blufor could jump around quickly. I would very much like to try this one again. It was said above that there was a ping for the hostages? Perhaps without that, the OPFOR side would stand a better chance and not feel like the BLUFOR are using their Ahdvancd AMEERIKIN Sahtalights to hound the poor unfortunate OPFOR.

Poctalon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbTtg...ure=plpp_video
    This was quite a short mission quiet mission. I enjoyed it for the ability to experience squad movement, but didn't see much in the way of action. I actually missed the moment of victory as we extracted, as I went AFK. But I am watching my recording of it as I type this, yeah not alot happened after I left. Seems like something went wrong with the mission.

Post-session testing: Walkyries Ride
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSdN...ure=plpp_video
    I joined late and missed out on the chance of glorious death with Blu-For. So I just supported from the sidelines and recorded Blu-for's exploits. You should watch the recording, it's short and sweet.
    The AA did seem to mess up the Blu-for approach a fair bit, but otherwise I could see this mission being very very interesting. Especially if we get to see the boats get used.

Wacky Raceshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJN9...ure=plpp_video
    Very fun all around, I didn't know quite what was going on, but came second in the race. Then the killing began.
    Last edited by Coat; 25-10-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Adding Videos

Obscure Node
    Just a small line to say that yesterday I had my first session with the group and I was very impressed. I had a blast in all the missions and was very grateful for how nice and cooperative the people was.
    I will be back for sure and promise that this door gunner will cover Black Mamba's back much better next time :D

Roundabout SE
    Bravo 1 FTL

We got in the truck and drove off. After disembarking and not getting any orders I realized
    Bravo Squad Lead. Got into our transport truck and... died.
    happened. Took command of Bravo and we advanced to the valley ridge to kill some dudes. Told CO Kefirz the sitrep, and didn't hear from him since, well he died pretty early on, Alpha SL took overall command.

Bravo was ordered to flank around the valley from the north, told the situation to the fireteams and we went. Suddenly, my internet started acting up. After going to the attic to restart my router I found myself very far away from the engagement zone (thanks AI). Relinquished command of Bravo to Skabooga from A2, and gave command of the fireteam to my AR Zitron until I regrouped.

By the time I RV'ed, Bravo was being engaged from every angle, took command of my fireteam, but left command of Bravo to Skabooga, as he had a better idea of the situtation. A few injuries and revives later, we won.

Goose Chase
    OPFOR
    Alpha 1 FTL

Took up FTL slot again as it was empty for like 2 minutes, no regrets best mission in quite a while.
    We were heading with a hostage due East, with Unaco, the hostage guard commanding the element of the two fireteams A1 and A3.

We would move as fast as possible to the safezone East, A1 would lead in front, Hostie in the middle, and A3 in the back. We were buzzed by the chopper constantly while moving, I would like to know how easy were we to spot, as I could see the door gunner very clearly at times.

So, after walking for quite a bit, Wolfenswan (A3), reported that the chopper has powered down north of us and is disembarking troops. Unaco ordered a quick spring towards south to Msta(?) safehouse to take some transport. The chopper followed us through the forest.

We arrived at the safehouse and found a sedan and a Diskha UAZ. Hostage and Unaco took the sedan and drove forward. We took the UAZ, and started firing at the chopper. What followed was a chase scene to the outskirts of Elektrozavodsk, us only stopping to scare off the chopper with our dishka. After arriving at a designated RV, we ditched the transports and went on foot through the forest. We kept 2 people in the UAZ to scare off the chopper.

What followed was a very confusing last minutes.
    We heard the chopper power down. A3 is being engaged. Unaco orders A1 to advance forward. I spot the chopper, on the ground, realizing it's an excellent position to flank BLUFOR. A BLUFOR pilot scared me very much but me and my buddy killed him. Buddy lost his legs, my other fireteam members sprint to steal the chopper (will know it is frowned upon in the future, sorry). I run over to two BLUFOR sitting near a fence and I shot both of them in the backs. One of the pesky blufor didn't die, but go into agony mode and shot me with his m249. I got into agony too, as the blufor crawled near me he said "I ran out of ammo" *click, click*. I smiled and shot him with my full AK mag. My buddy revived me, after crawling to my position for quite a while.

Here we were, only now realizing that Unaco was dead, A3 dead, us cannot stand up, and the hostage - gone. I ordered the guys in the chopper to find the hostage, giving them a rough position. Saw enemy helicopter flying around, looted the M249 and shot everything at it, then took a nearby M4 holo (keke FTL loot), and emptied that too to no effect. Then saw the heli land, and a few moments later the mission ended.

Poctalon
    Nothing special happened here, went to the crash site with Strang in command, saw the enemy and died almost immediately, evil custom AI.

Phew, what a wall of text. Really enjoyed that session, especially Goose Chase, I think that mission worked very well, would be interesting to experience it from the BLUFOR side, see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Halop; 24-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Here's a short video of Goose Chase, showing the botched west Chernarus hostage rescue. For reference SuperU was ASL, my two-man A1 (me and Simon) were trying to cut the enemies off as they were trying to get into the safe zone, while A2 FTL'd by IceRaiser was chasing the fleeing enemies from behind. The white jacket of the hostage shone like a star in the middle of the forest, making it fairly easy to follow the fleeing OPFOR from A1's position and close in.

You also get to observe the horror that is ARMA2 HDR.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

I was only around for Goose Chase, so I can only post about that. At great length! I was the "Element Lead" for the Eastern Group, so I can shed some light on what our thinking was, and the confusion there at the end, with the Chopper and stuff.

Goose Chase
    Guard 1, looking after Aido and Alphas 1 and 3.

I was tasked with getting my hostage to the Eastern most Safe Zone, keeping OFF the roads, out of clearings and towns, under cover, and moving fast. We knew that BluFor would have to anticipate us, find a clearing to set down and get boots on the ground... so if we kept moving and kept away from any likely spots, I thought we'd be able to keep a step ahead of them, always being gone and moved on by the time they got in a position to move in on us. We did pretty well, for the majority, only seeing a BluFor infantry man when we were ~1100 meters from our final destination.

I was looking after Aido, who was a very good hostage. He gave me a little hassle at first, not knowing instinctively which direction I wanted him to go (no compass), and running into a wall for a while. But he eventually got to following me obediently (with one of the other groups shepherding him from behind. I don't know how it was for him (it is difficult to play hostages and the like), but I thought it was a nice balance of him possibly running off (and me keeping an eye on my STHUD) without it being a constant pain. And without me having to shoot him.

We headed out East, with Alpha1 running 100 or so meters ahead, scouting out the ground, Alpha3 taking up the rear 50 meters back, and me and Aldo sandwiched between. Fer had stressed he wanted us to keep moving, and to keep to the trees, for the reasons listed above. I thought it was a good plan, and that we'd do best avoiding, or fighting around/past any engagements. We were being buzzed pretty much from the off, but it was a few minutes in before I reckoned they'd got a solid on our position, when a chopper dropped some troops, by parachute, to our North, with some more activity East, in our path.

This was the first mission I'd commanded at such a level for quite a while, so I was a little rusty with my decisions... as we shall see. I figured BluFor had anticipated our Eastern route, to the vehicles cache thing we were heading for, and that an ambush was waiting East (the anvil), and the Northern troops were there to move in on our flank/rear (the hammer). I decided to divert to a vehicle cache to the South... figuring it would take BluFor too long to reposition and ambush us there, while we avoided anything they had planned. I also thought we could give BluFor a surprise ourselves, and tasked Wolf and Alpha3 with holding back, and setting an ambush on BluFor if they moved down.

Me, the Hostage and Alpha1 made it to Mrsta and were able to secure ourselves a Sedan, and a DSkHm UAZ. We were still getting constantly buzzed by the chopper, but no ground troops. I gave the UAZ permission to open up if they got a good shot on the chopper, try and keep it away from us if we were going to be taking any roads with our new shiny vehicles. To that, I said my decisions and planning were a little rusty. I checked the map and realised we weren't in the greatest position. The only roads nearby led back up North to Staroye, and were I figured BluFor would be waiting for us, or South, down to Elektravadosk, and then a long route round the coast, or back inland, which would have left us quite exposed, but moving fast enough to not give Blufor time to set anything up. I should have had a better idea of what to do there.

In the end, I chose a Thunder run down to Elektra, and then to turn back inland, up to Staroye and hook up with Alpha3 (who had flanked our initial route, but not encountered BluFor), with the circuitous route confounding any ambushes and the like. I picked a point ~3K of the Safe zone, and got everyone back on foot, except for a gunner/driver for the Uaz. Those on foot would move (almost) directly to the Safe zone, but keeping in cover as much as they could, while the Uaz would shadow us on the road North, and scout out our final destination. We were still being constantly buzzed by the chopper, and then I got the bad news from Fer... a second chopper, and at least a fireteam, was now headed our way to join the one currently bothering us, and he was bugging out. We were on our own, with all the remaining BluFor focussing on us.

We got ~1300 meters from the Safe zone, and things were getting tense. It must have been quite obvious to BluFor which zone we were heading to, and from which general direction, so I was somewhat expecting the contact when it came. Alpha3 were leading, Alpha1 taking up the rear, moving NE. Alpha3 got contact to our East. I tasked them with engaging, figuring they could hold them off, while Alpha1 and I made a bee line North and slipped away. As we moved forward, we encountered some more enemy (or the same) and Alpha1 made to flank them and hit them while Alpha3 pinned them. I needed to make a decision... I was getting a little confused, Wolf (A3 lead) was down, I didn't know where the enemy were exactly, or if we had a hope of beating them in a stand up fight. I didn't know if there were more enemy directly North and if I could or should rush off with the Hostage, leaving my Fireteams to die, holding the enemy off, or if we could disengage and pull out with some force still intact. I got radio that the enemy had landed a chopper, and that it was easy pickings. Wild, heroic fantasies of bundling the Hostage into the enemy chopper and stealing it from under their noses ran through my mind. As all of this was happening, I caught some muzzle flash from a low wall to my right, between A1 and A3 to my mind, and I figured we had (some of) the enemy sandwiched between us. I made a decision...

In the end, it was a regrettable decision. I decided to take the shot, to kill the enemy engaging us there, to fight our way out together, and, maybe, try and secure that chopper. I decided to take the shot. Regrettable. For a start, I had a Bizon. It was ~150-200 meters, the target was moving, and I had a Bizon. He likely had some sort of scoped/holo M16. Secondly, I was wearing a sky blue tracksuit, and wasn't in anything you could call cover. He was wearing woodland camo and had trees to hide behind. Regrettable. I saw some more muzzle flash, and that was it. It was then I thought, I should have just ran. The Fireteams were screening me from the enemy, we could have made it away North and probably had a damn good chance of making it the ~1K to safety. But hindsight's a bitch.

With me dead, it seemed to unravel somewhat with OpFor... Halop did a nice ambush and execution on at least 3 BluFor, but left one still alive, writhing around to wound him. And, in the end, if we couldn't have the hostage, no one could, and he got killed shortly after BluFor landed and picked him up. We were the bad guys, after all. If I'd stayed alive, or someone had noticed the absence of my melodious tones, we could have still had a chance of pulling out and getting the hostage secure again. But hindsight's a bitch.

I should probably take (some) responsibility for the chopper, and any OpFor antics with it. I should have cut the idea down as soon as it was suggested, and I should have told them off it when they made a move for it... but I was dead by then. And I was thinking with my bones/balls, rather than my brains, and I thought we could try and pull off something spectacular after I had made my 2 Fireteams do little but run through some woods and take potshots at a chopper for an hour or so... If we could do it in a decent manner. I apologise for not speaking up on it, as I should have.

It was a good mission though, and I enjoyed myself... despite the pressures of command, and somewhat spoiling A1 & 3's fun by keeping them AWAY from the enemy as best I could.
    Last edited by Unaco; 24-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.